Need ideas for a modern steering wheel.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
This is the one my grandmother put on her towncar. She really likes it alot. I guess the chain helps her grip with her arthritis.

You must be registered for see images attach
Or when wearing handcuffs. Either way, sounds like a cool grandmother!

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
What part of AZ are you in? I'm West Valley in Surprise.

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
@Old77 for the win! Thank you sir for the mention of Forever Sharp! I had never heard of them. I found exactly what I am looking for and then some. I was not aware of the "halfwrap" design that exists. That's a perfect solution to be able to customize and refresh a wheel. After finding the wheel I wanted I was stumbling around their website and saw the door handles they have. Turns out I have been wanting those as well. Even better, they match and compliment the steering wheel. My factory ones are annoying because the knob rattles on the crank (no pun intended) when the stereo is booming and it drives me nuts. So there you have it. When I get it all installed I'll post some pics. Thanks everyone for the input, I learned a lot.

Same design wood wrap I have, I hope you don't learn to hate it like I did. It will look good in the truck though.

Again, never had a heat issue or problem with mine in the sun, not sure what coating FS puts on them but they don't get that warm.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
@Bennyt I brought it up as well. There is no way I'd rock a metal steering wheel anywhere it gets above 95 degrees. To each their own, though.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Same design wood wrap I have, I hope you don't learn to hate it like I did. It will look good in the truck though.

Again, never had a heat issue or problem with mine in the sun, not sure what coating FS puts on them but they don't get that warm.
So is the back metal? Does it have finger groves? Why did you stop liking it?

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
Isn't the back of the wheel metal though?

It is the same metal on the back "half" as the spokes etc. Still doesn't get so hot you can't hold it though.

Worst case put a microfiber over it when you're parked.

I sold hundreds of these an no one once complained of that being a problem, My C10 is outside alot in all seasons an never had an issue.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
It is the same metal on the back "half" as the spokes etc. Still doesn't get so hot you can't hold it though.

Worst case put a microfiber over it when you're parked.

I sold hundreds of these an no one once complained of that being a problem, My C10 is outside alot in all seasons an never had an issue.
Why did you learn to hate it?

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
So is the back metal? Does it have finger groves? Why did you stop liking it?

Like I said in my other post the rivets an the groove are abrasive to your hands on a longer trip. Anything over an hour sucks.

The back finger grooves are machined into the base wheel. It's all metal an the front half wrap is wood or vinyl covered if you pick that one.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
@Old77 for the win! Thank you sir for the mention of Forever Sharp! I had never heard of them. I found exactly what I am looking for and then some. I was not aware of the "halfwrap" design that exists. That's a perfect solution to be able to customize and refresh a wheel. After finding the wheel I wanted I was stumbling around their website and saw the door handles they have. Turns out I have been wanting those as well. Even better, they match and compliment the steering wheel. My factory ones are annoying because the knob rattles on the crank (no pun intended) when the stereo is booming and it drives me nuts. So there you have it. When I get it all installed I'll post some pics. Thanks everyone for the input, I learned a lot.
I had a Forever Sharp wheel in my 87 burb and loved it. Those concerned about the wheel getting hot and all that need not worry. I never had the problem in my time owning the wheel and mine one of the all black wheels with the half wrap. You won't be sorry if you go with them :waytogo:

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I had a Forever Sharp wheel in my 87 burb and loved it. Those concerned about the wheel getting hot and all that need not worry. I never had the problem in my time owning the wheel and mine one of the all black wheels with the half wrap. You won't be sorry if you go with them :waytogo:
Unless you live in Phoenix where the steering wheel will reach 150 degrees or more during the summer. It is very different here. The paint melts off license plates, 3rd degree burns from drinking from water hoses isn't uncommon. People get burned with leather seats. No relief going in the pool as it is over 100 degrees as well. I literally turn off my hot water heater during summer and don't have to turn it on until late Sept. This week we finally have some temps below 110.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Unless you live in Phoenix where the steering wheel will reach 150 degrees or more during the summer. It is very different here. The paint melts off license plates, 3rd degree burns from drinking from water hoses isn't uncommon. People get burned with leather seats. No relief going in the pool as it is over 100 degrees as well. I literally turn off my hot water heater during summer and don't have to turn it on until late Sept. This week we finally have some temps below 110.
You live at Furnace Creek or somewhere in that vicinity for it to get that hot

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
You live at Furnace Creek or somewhere in that vicinity for it to get that hot
I added some dynamat to my sons truck this weekend. Interior roof temp was 160-170. The OP is free to do what he wants. I'm just casually reminding him of what we deal with and what is great in other parts of the state and country may not be appropriate for a vehicle you actually drive. Hopefully, i'm not offending anyone.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
You're being a little dramatic. At some point, all things get hot. At some point, you gotta prepare for it. Throw a towel over all the things and keep the sun off them :shrug:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag