Need ideas for a modern steering wheel.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I think I'm done with the sticky factory steering wheel. I'm looking for something modern, slightly smaller diameter, has an adapter that looks decent and retains the factory horn.
Anybody?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Looking for factory or aftermarket?

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
Looking for factory or aftermarket?
^^^^ And budget…

I always liked Grant Signature wheels, affordable, upgraded adapters look nice & can get whatever wheel diameter you want.

Any newer than ‘95 (IIRC) from a GM truck would probably not look good due to the air bag making them so big at the base & wouldn’t match the column.

You must be registered for see images attach

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
I have one similar to this one^^^ I took off my 78 and put on a sticky 73 one lol. It's all complete and in a box.

Originalthor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
^^^^ And budget…

I always liked Grant Signature wheels, affordable, upgraded adapters look nice & can get whatever wheel diameter you want.

Any newer than ‘95 (IIRC) from a GM truck would probably not look good due to the air bag making them so big at the base & wouldn’t match the column.

Man I remember when you could buy those from a parts store for like 50 bucks and another 30 for the mounting kit. Now there alot more then that.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Leaning towards aftermarket. I just don't know if there are adapters to our old trucks that don't look cheesy?

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
^^^^ And budget…

Budget? lol.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Well, I guess I was lazy. I didn't realize that Grant was still a player and has a vast selection of wheels. I knew what I sort of wanted in my head beforehand but didn't know my options. My molasses covered OEM wheel is 15" diameter. I don't really want a spongy, grippy wheel. I like the smooth hard feel and the look of craftsmanship rather than the typical mass produced look.
I also like the artesian look blended with a precision machined look. Due to the fact I reside in the desert SW where it often feels like the surface of the sun, the heat and sweat from my hands take its toll on the wheels surface. I want something easy to keep clean. With all that said, I'm really liking this 14", riveted, wood wheel with finger grooves. Now I think it will look just fine in my squarebody? As for modern, I think it will be right a home with the Dakota Gauges, Vintage Air A/C and DIN CD player.

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I like the wheel on my 1990 suburban. I think 88-94 are all the same and likely are a direct replacement.

I'm guessing you have the 4 spoke steering wheel? If so, while it is common, it's the optional (faux?) leather "sport" steering wheel.

The standard type steering wheel was still the design with the solid horizontal bar through the center, I had a former USAF 91 crew cab with one.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Well, I guess I was lazy. I didn't realize that Grant was still a player and has a vast selection of wheels. I knew what I sort of wanted in my head beforehand but didn't know my options. My molasses covered OEM wheel is 15" diameter. I don't really want a spongy, grippy wheel. I like the smooth hard feel and the look of craftsmanship rather than the typical mass produced look.
I also like the artesian look blended with a precision machined look. Due to the fact I reside in the desert SW where it often feels like the surface of the sun, the heat and sweat from my hands take its toll on the wheels surface. I want something easy to keep clean. With all that said, I'm really liking this 14", riveted, wood wheel with finger grooves. Now I think it will look just fine in my squarebody? As for modern, I think it will be right a home with the Dakota Gauges, Vintage Air A/C and DIN CD player.
I've heard those are not good in extreme heat. I like the Grant wheel idea, though. I had to get wheelskins for my Cherokee because the holes in the leather, after years of sweat, would ooze black turds of sticky nasty sweat-dirt things. No amount of cleaning would get that out. The wheelskin covered it up, looks factory, and cleans easily. For a classic truck or car, it's hard to beat a GT steering wheel.

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
I'm guessing you have the 4 spoke steering wheel? If so, while it is common, it's the optional (faux?) leather "sport" steering wheel.

The standard type steering wheel was still the design with the solid horizontal bar through the center, I had a former USAF 91 crew cab with one.
yep, that's what I have! my burb was equipped with just about every option, so it is not surprising that the wheel was an option.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod