Need ideas for a modern steering wheel.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lugnut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
1979, 1986
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
'79) 350/ granny 4-speed, '86) 350/A833 3-speed with overdrive
Looks great!

Grant? Diameter and Dish?

Tad
Comfort Grip is the name of it, I'm pretty sure it is made by OER (Original Equipment Reproduction) but not 100 percent on that. 15" dia. and the overall dish is 3 7/8" including the adapter.

I will say this, it sat out in the direct Georgia sun about 6-7 hours this past Sunday and while the spokes were a little warm the grip was no different than my stock one other than it wasn't sticky. I am satisfied enough that I will be ordering 3 more for my other trucks when I have enough money saved up.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Unless you live in Phoenix where the steering wheel will reach 150 degrees or more during the summer. It is very different here. The paint melts off license plates, 3rd degree burns from drinking from water hoses isn't uncommon. People get burned with leather seats. No relief going in the pool as it is over 100 degrees as well. I literally turn off my hot water heater during summer and don't have to turn it on until late Sept. This week we finally have some temps below 110.

Seems normal to me and I'm in Ohio. Interiors get cooking hot. Stuff melts. Leather burns people. So do metal seatbelt buckles. Our garden hoses get burning hot too.

If I'm parking my car somewhere that I can't leave the windows down, I put a white towel on the dash and steering wheel, and also put one of those reflective mat things in the windshield. It's not a difficult thing to do and is good practice to keep your interior parts from baking.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I've been in the hottest part of Arizona for 30 years. You adjust to the environment. Few vehicles lack blacked out window tint that helps interior temps greatly. Plus if it's that hot, the AC is on and anything metal cools down pretty quick. I've also discovered that black cars get no hotter inside than any other color.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I've been in the hottest part of Arizona for 30 years. You adjust to the environment. Few vehicles lack blacked out window tint that helps interior temps greatly. Plus if it's that hot, the AC is on and anything metal cools down pretty quick. I've also discovered that black cars get no hotter inside than any other color.

Black cars sure get hotter on the outside though! Lol.

Elliot W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Elliot
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Well, I guess I was lazy. I didn't realize that Grant was still a player and has a vast selection of wheels. I knew what I sort of wanted in my head beforehand but didn't know my options. My molasses covered OEM wheel is 15" diameter. I don't really want a spongy, grippy wheel. I like the smooth hard feel and the look of craftsmanship rather than the typical mass produced look.
I also like the artesian look blended with a precision machined look. Due to the fact I reside in the desert SW where it often feels like the surface of the sun, the heat and sweat from my hands take its toll on the wheels surface. I want something easy to keep clean. With all that said, I'm really liking this 14", riveted, wood wheel with finger grooves. Now I think it will look just fine in my squarebody? As for modern, I think it will be right a home with the Dakota Gauges, Vintage Air A/C and DIN CD player.
You must be registered for see images attach
I used this wheel in my nova. I really like the look of it, but depending on the brand you get, the rivets can be counter sunk (feels weird and has sharp edges) and the metal spokes are quite sharp especially with manual steering. It’s so sharp that it’s a hazard when the wheel corrects quickly back to straight or you hit a pothole and the wheel jerks. I’ve considered wearing gloves while driving but I’d lose the whole cool factor of the steering wheel. So cut hands it is.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
EDIT/UPDATE:
Someone locally posted a video of their truck and low and behold they have the exact same Forever Sharp Wood Wheel that I'm looking at. Must be a sign!

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size

Soundmound

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Scottsdale
Engine Size
Sweet! So is this the half wrap wheel where you can change out the look? Does that wood ring interchange with the black ring?
Yup all the half wraps should be interchangeable and they sell lots of rings, some blem units can be had for much cheaper also.

JChevy87R10

Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Fleetside
Engine Size
Forever Sharp has a good line of wheels to choose from
Yes they do. Problem is for me, I can't get a clearcut answer on what to use from them. I've emailed 2x, been all over forums, emailed NRG, emailed Grant.

All I could get was I'll need the short hub adapter, quick release, and the wheel. Gee......thanks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad