I need a good 84/87 steering column.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
I need a decent one. I had to change the key switch out on the Stepper and when I put it
back together my steering wheel feels like it wants to fall off now LOL.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
It might just be loose bolts. When folks use the steering wheel to pull themselves into the vehicle it loosens the lower collar bolts. Will require partial disassembly for access. A couple hours work will save a couple hundred dollars.

Take pictures during teardown. Some of it is a little tricky and will require 2 special tools but nothing insurmountable.

Nasty-LSX

TogetherforeverCovid19
Reaction score
First Name
Mi Hung Lo
Truck Year
85/86/87
Truck Model
c10/k10/k20
Engine Size
LSX
The wheel was normal and tight before I pull the wheel to put new key lock in.
When I put it all back together it was still tight. I was driving and it was like
the steering wheel popped and it feels like it is not even bolted down LOL.
I seen a ball bearing on the floorboard. Dont even want to mess with it. :mad:

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
There are tilt columns on e bay. Don't toss the old one, some parts are hard to find.

Strick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew
Engine Size
I have one from a '91 Sub if you are interested. IDK how much the shipping would be from NC to TX though.

HS

RanchWelder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
--------
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
355ci
I had issues with the bearings not seating correctly when I rebuilt mine.
Take it apart and make certain you have not compressed the spring, without making darn certain the bearing races are still exactly in the correct assembled spots.

Do Not drive it until you re-set the bearings and compress the spring correctly.
You will grenade the bearing races and breaking them requires complete disassembly.

STOP.

I know, it sux, just take it apart and do it all over again.
Been there, done that. It's normal learning curve.

When you compress the spring plate, take your time and make sure the races are exactly in place.
You can compress with the bearings out of the races. Why they built it this way is beyond my imagination.

Used a board cut to length, to wedge from the floor to the steering whel, so it pulls the assembly together, from the bottom race, upwards, then seated the top race and attempted to crush the plate and spring. *edited for clearity

You might need a second hand to hold the column from collapsing during the rebuild.

I got flamed for warning about this exact error being possible and the death that could occur if not correctly re-assembled.

Use a new cir-clip, if yours is mutilated. Amazon sells them and they come from Ukraine through Chicago.

Good Luck.

Last edited:

texasmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
You should call Outback Truck Parts on Spring Stuebner in Spring Texas, 281-350-9072. Ask to speak with Paul. They specialize in 1960-87 new and used parts. This place is amazing and he has really been organizing over the years. They have four metal buildings/sheds full with rows of hoods, doors, fenders, engine parts, seats, etc. I have been there many times and the last time I went, I remember seeing around 8 or 9 column's, all in one area. They also keep in stock about every new or repo part that the major vendors on line carry. This place is a must if you own a square body. Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deankelly