Need help with my 99 blazer please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NCTyphoonKid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Korey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado R10
Engine Size
Hey all having some issues with the 99 I just a motor in. It is surging while going uphill I can watch the tach jump back and forth from 1500-1800-2000ish rpm. Seems to do it between 45-55 mph. I have no vacuum line diagram so I'm unsure if its vacuum related. Its a 99 S10 Blazer 4x4 LT. None of the orange indicator lights are on for the push button 4x4 either. Also while driving it I had the codes PO410,PO171, and PO174 come up. Also what is this it has a couple vacuum lines as well. Like I said very unsure how the vacuum lines are suppose to go.

You must be registered for see images attach

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
That stuff under the radiator is some kind of emissions package, only seen a handful of them in Ohio before. 171 and 174 are lean codes aren't they? I don't remember for sure. But it does sound like a vacuum leak. Have the intake gaskets been done yet?

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Lean would explain the surging!

NCTyphoonKid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Korey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado R10
Engine Size
No the intake gaskets haven't been done only has 100k on the motor but I have no vacuum diagram to go by to figure out how they go

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
My brother in-laws 97 did the same thing. Ended up being the coolant sensor. Well his father in-laws broke the dang connector and didn't say anything.... We went through changing the fuel pump...omg that was horrible. Found out the two door and four for have different pumps the hard way...

Sent from the dust in front of you!

NCTyphoonKid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Korey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado R10
Engine Size
I don't think it's the intake gaskets the codes literally just popped up so I'm pretty sure it's because I can't figure out the vacuum lines. Also the part in the picture is called a secondary air pump and is one of my codes and it also has two little vacuum lines that I have no clue where they go

NCTyphoonKid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Korey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado R10
Engine Size
My brother in-laws 97 did the same thing. Ended up being the coolant sensor. Well his father in-laws broke the dang connector and didn't say anything.... We went through changing the fuel pump...omg that was horrible. Found out the two door and four for have different pumps the hard way...

The coolant sensor on the drivers side head?

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
IIRC...The coolant temp switch is on the drivers side head. The temp sensor is on the front of the intake next to the t stat/ top radiator hose.

NCTyphoonKid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Korey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado R10
Engine Size
IIRC...The coolant temp switch is on the drivers side head. The temp sensor is on the front of the intake next to the t stat/ top radiator hose.

Alright I'll take a look at that do you have any idea about the vacuum lines

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I will admit at first when the surging and bucking like a bull started with his blazer I really thought it must of been a bad vacuum leak. Looked for days with no luck. Then i said it must be the fuel pump... Nope. Then i said Google 97 blazer surging problem. Sure enough this and the ignition switch showed to be a known issue. More so the ignition switch. Since he had already changed the column due to an accident he had we went straight to the temp sensor only to find the connector was broken the whole time... Ugh. Duck taped it back on temporally and that blazers vortec ran like a scaled ape.

NCTyphoonKid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Korey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado R10
Engine Size
I will admit at first when the surging and bucking like a bull started with his blazer I really thought it must of been a bad vacuum leak. Looked for days with no luck. Then i said it must be the fuel pump... Nope. Then i said Google 97 blazer surging problem. Sure enough this and the ignition switch showed to be a known issue. More so the ignition switch. Since he had already changed the column due to an accident he had we went straight to the temp sensor only to find the connector was broken the whole time... Ugh. Duck taped it back on temporally and that blazers vortec ran like a scaled ape.

Alright I'll take a look I just hate that I have 2-3 vacuum lines going nowhere just unhooked

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Check the back lines they probably go down to the frame rail. I would think if you had that Many going no where the engine would stumble from a stop. Of course every situation is different.

NCTyphoonKid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Korey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado R10
Engine Size
True it does have some hesitation but not to bad

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
When this surging occurred it would happen. At idle, from a stop, and while driving.

NCTyphoonKid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Korey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado R10
Engine Size
When this surging occurred it would happen. At idle, from a stop, and while driving.

I think I have the vacuum lines done correctly now I still need to find the transfer case vacuum switch so I blocked that line off and replaced a couple that were very brittle. I'm going to go get some gas for it and see what it'll do on this test run. It doesn't seem to be hesitating now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag