Loud Bang, something broke, then bad vibration in park or driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jake wells

Can i be me?
Reaction score
First Name
jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom deluxe 10
Engine Size
go to a junk yard and look for a electric fan set up but measure your radiator before doing so it will cool better as well.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
My son found a set of Flex-A-Light fans and the controler in the junk yard not long ago.
He installed them and they work like champs.

I have no idea what CFM they are, but when they come on you can feel they are moving a ton of air.
Enough so that the big block in my truck does not have any issue with cooling itself.

I have a set of fans out of a Windstar that was going to go in it as others have had good luck running them on their trucks.

You must be registered for see images attach
something special about windstar or just size? i have a 2003 grand am fans lol

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
something special about windstar or just size? i have a 2003 grand am fans lol

They flow A LOT of air, and they are the perfect size for the smaller square body radiator. The tall 4-row is about 2 inches taller than the windstar fans but the same width. I got a set for mine for $30 from the junkyard, but will probably go with a factory 2008-up LS set from a silverado or suburban. They are just as prevalent and cheap if you have a local yard that specializes in american trucks like I do.

Mike s

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
With that fan blade coming off at such high rpm I would look real close at the water pump to make sure it didn’t damage the bearings. Also if you are going back to stock and you had a fan spacer replace it too.

Durfman77

Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Truck Year
1994 /2001
Truck Model
GMC
Engine Size
5.7/5.3
I'm having a hard time finding an OEM fan...

AFtermarket lightweight flex fans and shroud are gonna cost over $100

Thinking maybe I should look at a dual electric setup as a possible option... Seen a couple on eBay for about $120, that have dual 12" fans and an aluminum shroud..

Any thoughts on this? If I were to go that route, how many CFM do I need? Any suggestions/experiences to share?
I have a 94 gmc K1500 that I put ele fan on last winter Made it from a 76 thunderbird fan can get them NEW for around 60 or so and made up the relays and it works GREAT! I pulled a trailer with 6000lbs when it was 91degrees out and AC on it stayed around 200 and when idle when in upper 90,s with AC works great stays at 190, Has more zap when I get on gas tooo,

Durfman77

Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Truck Year
1994 /2001
Truck Model
GMC
Engine Size
5.7/5.3
OH also I have it set to come on at 210 and off at 195 and comes on with AC is turned on--I can explane how I wired it if you want? It can idle all day and stay at 180 thats thermostat I put in it,,

Super-Dave

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
When I installed my Edelbrock EFI Conversion on my '74 project, I followed another threads suggestion and got a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee electric fan, which fit like OEM inside my factory shroud.

I Drilled two small bolt holes in the shroud to line up with the fans side tabs and cut one small slit in the bottom of the shroud for the lower fan mounting tab to fit through. Done. Looks like it came that way.

Galane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gregg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 3500
Engine Size
DIY dual fan controller that switches two 12v fans between series and parallel, with adjustable ON temps to turn on in series and switching to parallel. Also has an AC clutch input to come on in series mode with the AC no matter the coolant temp. The IC with half the pins shorted together is that way because it was easier to come up with the quad version. A dual voltage comparator would just eliminate those pins. Or one quad chip could be used in a doubled version of the circuit for controlling other things based on a separate (or possibly the same) temperature input.

The relays (high temp heavy duty icecube type) are plugged into Durakool DZ85AB-5-PCB sockets. Yes, I did buy cheaper relays that were supposed to be high temp but had to replace them when they started to stick closed.

The fans are from some *ahem* Ford, on a radiator for a 1997 Mountaineer. I made the metal brackets to fit into the original fan shroud hooks on the radiator tanks. Most difficult part of the build was finding new connectors for the fans at a sane price. Drat. I don't have the fan connector part number or where I bought them for cheap. A junkyard pick should include at least the connectors with some wire.

I got the idea for the series-parallel switching from some Peugeot that did the same thing to make single speed fans run at two speeds. If anyone wants to design a proper PCB for this, have at it, as long as you send me a copy of the files.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
When I installed my Edelbrock EFI Conversion on my '74 project, I followed another threads suggestion and got a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee electric fan, which fit like OEM inside my factory shroud.

I Drilled two small bolt holes in the shroud to line up with the fans side tabs and cut one small slit in the bottom of the shroud for the lower fan mounting tab to fit through. Done. Looks like it came that way.

I would love to see a pic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale Downes