Looking at 92 Yukon for my son

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Nevermind, I see where you cracked the line and there was no fuel.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
It’s now sitting in my driveway. There is some rot in the rockers, but the floors appear surprisingly solid.

It will run on starting fluid, but for some reason fuel isn’t getting to the engine. I can hear the fuel pump run, I cracked open the line right before the fuel filter, and hot wired the pump, no fuel. Looks like I’ll be dropping the tank.

Everything seems to work (at least what I can check without driving it) except the radio. It turns on, but the volume/tuner buttons don’t do anything. The front end looks to have had some parts replaced changed before it was parked. The right rear brake is stuck, we had to drag the truck with that tire locked up. My wife was cracking up from the tire howling as we pulled it the 200 feet from the old owners driveway to my house

For 500 bucks, I think I did ok. Once it’s cleaned up a little I’ll post some pics.

I'd bet the rubber hose from the pump to the discharge tube on the sending unit has come off or rotted apart. Unless of course it is just out of gas...

Its only a little 1-2" hose that attaches the pump output to the sending unit discharge tube. If it has rotted away it just pisses the fuel right back into the tank instead of into the fuel line.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
It has injector pulse, and spark. Like I said, it will run as long as I spray starting fluid in the throttle body.

I agree, it’s got to be something inside the tank. I can definitely hear the pump running, no fuel comes from the line just ahead of the filter, and it’s not spraying gas from a cracked fuel line. My first thought was it was just out of gas, so I dumped 10 gallons in it. Now the fuel gauge reads just under a 1/4 tank (I’m guessing this probably has a 30-35 gallon tank, so that’s probably about right).

I’m hoping to get the tank out of it tomorrow

Dooley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
RW
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30
Engine Size
We love our 1994 K2500 Suburban. We have done the entire circumference of Lake Erie on one tank of fuel.
The 6.5 Turbo Diesel, 42 gallon fuel tank, and 4L80E transmission is a plus.
Updated the wheels to aluminum long ago and it rides great on the factory option 265/75-16's.
Still wearing original paint.

Actually this is the wife's station wagon!

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I've got a 93 half ton and a 98 2500, I prefer the pre 94's as well. Inner door handles and door closing problems, then the half ton transmissions.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
My dad has a 96 c1500 I bought at auction 5hen gifted to him. Recently he had a shifter cable issue and came to visit and I found the cable rubbed on the floor below the rug where getting in and out. Although there appears to be a repair on the floor from po, I don't know if the 4l60e which that Yukonr probably also has, being a post 91, u would say pull the rug and make sure it's ok. If it wasn't good, someone could be driving it over time and putting it in "half gears" which can burn the **** out of a gm trans real quick. The line pressures don't properly set and the thing will just starve itself. It's pretty common in gm transaxle too.

The computer can usually tell this, usually.. the 4t65e can tell but it's often the case the shaft inside the trans fri the manual valve wears enough it can't tell in it's diagnostic tests on itself. Also no obd 2 so I'm not sure if you would see it anyway.

Just a thought.

I saw him the next day and he rigged a floor shifter... I told him a new one was 30 the day before and he said I can't spend that kind of time or money on a cable :superhack::smoke2:

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I've got a 93 half ton and a 98 2500, I prefer the pre 94's as well. Inner door handles and door closing problems, then the half ton transmissions.
Somehow my dad has a 4l60e made from plot armor from a movie because he does not great that thing with respect and it's chugging along high mileage and all.

It DOES have a factory trans cooler in front I saw the other day, so helpful. But he keeps damn near 1500 pounds of tools and equipment on the back of it lol. I picked up Monroe coil over helpers and the 500 pound capacity gain they claim allows him suspension travel on the road now lol

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Well, got the tank out today. Somebody hit the nail on the head, the internal hose connecting the pump to the fuel line had rotted.
Actually, dissolved is a better description. The pump/sending unit appears to have been recently replaced. Every bolt and hose fitting came loose easily.

I’m assuming this hose came with the replacement sender/pump, and didn’t survive submerged in fuel. I assume fuel injection hose will work??

Second issue, there appears to be O-Rings on the sending unit hose ends. They appear to be a flare fitting, which would need o-rings. Anyone in readerland familiar with the sender on these trucks?

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
I have this photo of the time we replaced the fuel pump on our 1995 Suburban Family Battle Wagon.
I didn't do anything to them when I changed the pump out back in February of 2018.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I don't think you can go wrong with the thing.
We have had our Suburban for 18 years now.
Purchased it with 108k and it is now at 226k.
I have done the rearend a couple of times, the whole front end rebuild last winter, and replaced a weak part in the transfer case that breaks and lets the shaft move about.
The engine and transmission seem to still have loads of life left in them.

Trying to get the thing through DEQ now and we came across some crappy new parts that caused some furious backfiring. Put the old parts back on and it works like a champ. Weird.

But it runs and drives, is safe for all of us.
Drinks gas like a alcoholic at an open bar.

I keep threatening to sell it down the road for a newer one, but I just don't like the thought of a car payment.

It is also the newest car we own.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
The radio was super easy.
I bought my new one (15 years ago) from Crutchfield and they sent along all the adapter parts needed to get it into the dash clean and simple.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
I don't think you can go wrong with the thing.
We have had our Suburban for 18 years now.
Purchased it with 108k and it is now at 226k.
I have done the rearend a couple of times, the whole front end rebuild last winter, and replaced a weak part in the transfer case that breaks and lets the shaft move about.
The engine and transmission seem to still have loads of life left in them.

Trying to get the thing through DEQ now and we came across some crappy new parts that caused some furious backfiring. Put the old parts back on and it works like a champ. Weird.

But it runs and drives, is safe for all of us.
Drinks gas like a alcoholic at an open bar.

I keep threatening to sell it down the road for a newer one, but I just don't like the thought of a car payment.

It is also the newest car we own.

That's a beautiful rig man. I love those things. Have a 92 myself. Not nearly as nice as yours though.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Thank you very much.
That was photo was taken just after I put new wheels and tires on it.
I had some 16" wheels on it that needed to be replaced and they didn't have any 16's in stock.
But they did have a set of 17's in stock, that made me queezy as those were always big money long ago.
Not so anymore, the wheels were $135 each.
Sold and put them on.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
Thank you very much.
That was photo was taken just after I put new wheels and tires on it.
I had some 16" wheels on it that needed to be replaced and they didn't have any 16's in stock.
But they did have a set of 17's in stock, that made me queezy as those were always big money long ago.
Not so anymore, the wheels were $135 each.
Sold and put them on.

Thats not bad. I have noticed that in the past few years 16s have gotten very expensive and 17s have come down greatly.
Mine had some really horible looking 17s on it with 4 bald tires with the bead showing. One day I was at the junkyard, and a truck had just showed up. Had 4 stock Chevy 6 bolt aluminum 16in sport rims, with 4 really nice, almost new, 265/75 r16 10ply off road truck tires. 80$ for the set of 4 rims and tires! What a steal. And I also bought a relatively decent full size 265/75 r16 spare with the same rim for another 20$.
100$ and got a whole set, I was super happy. Had those on it ever since.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL