Looking at 92 Yukon for my son

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
As the title states, I’m considering a 92 Yukon 4x4 for my soon to be 16 year old son.

While I’m very comfortable with all things GM, I’m not very familiar with these trucks. It’s a typical old school sbc, there is nothing I’m scared of with the 700 trans, so I doubt there is much I couldn’t fix with those. I know next to nothing about the front axle, ABS, etc.

While he hasn’t said anything about it yet, I’m sure one of the first things he will ask about is the stupid 2 piece stereo in those trucks. God forbid kids today have to listen to “primitive” radio instead of their own music list!!! .

He wants a old 4x4 to occasionally play in the mud, snow, I want something cheap, easy to fix, something he can play with, but reliable enough that i can sleep soundly knowing that more than likely it will get him where he needs go.

My question: is there anything I need to inspect closely before exchanging money? It does have some rust, it’s nothing you would stop and stare at, but it’s in decent shape, especially for its age.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I’ve always maintained that the GMT400s were the last and “best” of the old school GM trucks. With very little exception.
Leave all the stupid IFS 4wd arguments out of it. Not alto of merit to most of them.
TBI small blocks = simple, smooth, reliable engines.
With any old vehicle, it’s more about the miles, condition and how it was cared for than any “quirks”. At 30 years old, there’s a solution or workaround for any weak points, of which I can’t think of any on gmt400. Save for the 6.5 TD engine. That is its own story….
Had a ‘90 Z71 350/5 speed back in the day. Bought with about 70k miles. Sold a few years later with around 180k. Only repairs were basically wear parts. New CV shafts at 100somthing thousand. New clutch at 100k. Rear wheel cylinders around 100k. Other than that it was basically tires brakes and oil changes at normal intervals. Last I saw the truck couple years after I sold it, it was over 200k and had a gooseneck in it pulling a 3 horse slant load trailer on the original drivetrain still.
Had a few other GMT 400s after that with less miles put on but similar good experience.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
My first 90 mentioned above, was my college commuter/wheeler/construction rig.
It always carried a huge toolbox loaded. Needed the helper springs I put in it because it was loaded and or towing a lot of the time. Carried a ladder rack in the summers for work.
It went muddin countless times.
Basically I worked it hard and played hard and the truck handled it just fine. Caveat, this was in the mid 90s so the truck was fairly new.
Just a great truck though.

Had another 90 350/5speed 4x4 that I bought with like 30k miles on it in 2000. Ran it up to about 100k in just over a year.
Again for construction. Worked the truck hard and it was a great truck too.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
I have a 94 gmt400 burban that i bought in a pinch right after i wrecked my first s10. It had a lil over 200k miles when i bought it. Aside from the things that broke due to me bein a young retard abusin the piss outta it through mud holes it gave me 335k miles before the motor said im out. It still starts and runs but to drive it wont get over 30 mph. Mine had a windshield and rear most side window leak so the front floor rotted out and had to be patched and the rear inner fender where the spare tire was rotted through. Only major items that broke were the pinion gear wich i then swapped to a 14 bolt semi float. The rear leaves dues to me driving it like it was a sherman tank and im pretty sure thats it. I also feel that gmt400s were the last of the good and good looking chevys. I dont think theres anything off hand in specific i can tell ya to look for other then normal items youd look for.

You must be registered for see images attach

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
The trick has right at 200k on it now, the guy said he installed a GM Target engine around 145k, new radiator at the same time. Supposedly lots of new front end and brake parts. And the best part, the every common “ran when parked” disclaimer.

The truck has been sitting a couple years, he stopped driving it after a divorce and losing his license. He doesn’t live in the house anymore, but comes to mow the grass once a week or so. Obviously I want to drive it before exchanging money, but I wanted to check here with more knowledgeable people about the things to look for before jumping in.

I’m going into this with my eyes open. I’m not expecting a perfect truck, as long as it’s solid enough the seat won’t fall thru the floor I’m reasonably confident I can fix anything else

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Wiring still simple, front end usually needs to be rebuilt if was not maintained. Door hinges are welded and could be a pain to fix if was left broken for too long. Especially pre 95 interior plastic suffers from sun damage(but later years will have dash cracking problem as well). Will still look good, but can be very brittle. All of the seat belt buckles and door switch holders fell apart on my 94.
Had a number of gmt400 over the years and most between 220k and 350k miles on them.
There are service manuals posted on gmt400 forum.

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I have always liked the GMT 400 trucks, particularly the '88-'94. They have some quirks, but overall are pretty well built and not hard to work on.

Salty Crusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
c1500
Engine Size
I have a '92 and a pair of 97's, all 2-door 4x4's. Make sure they're straight, not really anything funny about them as compared to the rest of the GMT400 line.

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
For some reason I want a gmt400 burb.
Specifically a 2500 4wd with a 454.
Hopefully the feeling will pass.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
I have a 92 suburban, a 93 yukon, a 93 1500 pickup, a 96 2500, a 97 3500.
All awesome trucks, no complaints. My suburban just hit 300k miles, never been touched, still runs like a top. Yukon has 250k, 3500 has 222k, 1500 has 200k.
I have no problem with IFS, it's never had a problem with mud or snow, and I've seen plenty. Super comfy.
In my opinion, they're relatively built proof trucks. Never had any issues. And a TBI 350 doesn't make a lot of horsepower, but they're super reliable. I'd say itd be a good buy for him, they make great first trucks.
As far a radio goes, it's real simple to install an after market one right in the center of the dash, and a nice set of speakers. Just might need the trim price with the hole if it doesn't already have one.

Itali83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
1982, 1987, 1987
Truck Model
K10, 'burban C10, Jimmy
Engine Size
350, 6.2, 350
The frames rot behind the front wheels where it kicks out towards the rocker panels. The front tires kick up dirt/salt whatever and the frame takes it hard. Look there really good just to make sure. I also am a fan of the gmt400’s for their looks and simplicity.
Abs is very simple on those, got the modulator on the master cylinder and 4 wheel speed sensors. Don’t let that scare you.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
It’s now sitting in my driveway. There is some rot in the rockers, but the floors appear surprisingly solid.

It will run on starting fluid, but for some reason fuel isn’t getting to the engine. I can hear the fuel pump run, I cracked open the line right before the fuel filter, and hot wired the pump, no fuel. Looks like I’ll be dropping the tank.

Everything seems to work (at least what I can check without driving it) except the radio. It turns on, but the volume/tuner buttons don’t do anything. The front end looks to have had some parts replaced changed before it was parked. The right rear brake is stuck, we had to drag the truck with that tire locked up. My wife was cracking up from the tire howling as we pulled it the 200 feet from the old owners driveway to my house

For 500 bucks, I think I did ok. Once it’s cleaned up a little I’ll post some pics.

CorvairGeek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Scottsdale
Engine Size
292 L6, T400
"It turns on, but the volume/tuner buttons don’t do anything"

Most likely the CDM (Control Data Module, i.e. tuner and amp) above the gas pedal. All the weird GM radios used this '88-'95, and it was mounted to the top of some standard 1.5 DIN chassis) GM finally had these perfected and reliable for '94-'95, so they quit building them.
You must be registered for see images attach

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
500$ is pretty good. I'd say you did well, even with its issues.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
It’s now sitting in my driveway. There is some rot in the rockers, but the floors appear surprisingly solid.

It will run on starting fluid, but for some reason fuel isn’t getting to the engine. I can hear the fuel pump run, I cracked open the line right before the fuel filter, and hot wired the pump, no fuel. Looks like I’ll be dropping the tank.

Everything seems to work (at least what I can check without driving it) except the radio. It turns on, but the volume/tuner buttons don’t do anything. The front end looks to have had some parts replaced changed before it was parked. The right rear brake is stuck, we had to drag the truck with that tire locked up. My wife was cracking up from the tire howling as we pulled it the 200 feet from the old owners driveway to my house

For 500 bucks, I think I did ok. Once it’s cleaned up a little I’ll post some pics.

Iirc, a failed ignition module can cause the injectors not to fire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL