Holy Grail of Squarebodys

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CheemsK1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
It's not uncommon to find GM part #s on those "Power Stroke" engines. Isuzu has designed the injection on many of the diesels in use & guess who owns Isuzu... Ford covers the GM #s so they can't be seen.

Strickland
Which Powerstroke? If it's the 6.0 or 6.4, Ford should take the opportunity to blame someone else for those turds.

The 6.0 started off as a decent engine back when it was still exclusive to medium duty International trucks, but when Ford tried make some design tweaks for EPA compliance, things went south.

Strick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew
Engine Size
Which Powerstroke? If it's the 6.0 or 6.4, Ford should take the opportunity to blame someone else for those turds.

The 6.0 started off as a decent engine back when it was still exclusive to medium duty International trucks, but when Ford tried make some design tweaks for EPA compliance, things went south.
It's kinda like the Ford & Firestone conflict from 20 years back. Gotta have a fall guy or scapegoat. The PS SD's of the late 90s were the best. As Ford continued to "enhance" the engine noise to suit showers rather than goers, then that killed the great 7.3 or DT444. In Gov't they call it progress...

Strickland

OlRob

Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
I have owned quite a few squares over the years. My first NEW vehicle was a 1985 C10 Silverado. Black over burgundy interior. LOADED. It wasn't until many years later that I actually knew what I wanted. At 19 years old you just don't have a clue. But as time went by and I matured I realized that the square trucks were the best. MY holy grail has for many years been a stepside short bed. 4x4 with a sm465. AND I wanted it to be a custom deluxe. No a/c. I would have been happy with a 2wd, but has to be a stick. Anyway, fast foward 35 years and I happened up on MY most wanted truck. 1985 K10 custom deluxe. Short step 4x4 with 4 speed. No a/c. It is a work in progress now, but the body and frame are solid. It will be my daily driver so I can keep my 2020 2500 hd gas 4x4 custom low mile for a very long time. My new truck has a/c so I am good in July and August in South GA.

OlRob

Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
Love it !! BTW, I restore the original bed rails for short and long bed Square bodies ‘73 thru ’87 / ’91
You must be registered for see images attach
The cool thing around here was to cut the side rails short and add a toolbox.

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
The cool thing around here was to cut the side rails short and add a toolbox.
That sounds like a Dumb Idea. Who would do such a thing?

Honestly, mine was done like this when I bought it. I have to Do Something about my rails, they look awful but I feel like the truck needs them to stay. Any thoughts @FireTruck1984 ?

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I recently thought I found mine, but when I drove two and a half hours to see it, the bottom of every panel needed rust repair. Would’ve been my dream though- Heavy Half with numbers matching 454/400 combo, I believe it was a ‘78.

I go back and forth about which front end I like best- I do appreciate the 81-87 (now that I own one it’s really grown on me) but my holy grail when I was shopping would’ve been a 73-74 shortwide 2wd. It’s my favorite year for the grille.

REVINKEVIN

Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
“ I do appreciate the 81-87”

Hey. These are definitely my favorite front ends. Here’s a couple of pictures of mine. A lot of smoothing and shaping got me the look that I was going for.

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
“ I do appreciate the 81-87”

Hey. These are definitely my favorite front ends. Here’s a couple of pictures of mine. A lot of smoothing and shaping got me the look that I was going for.
That’s beautiful man!

FireTruck1984

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
1984 and 1984
Truck Model
High Sierra K1500 350. Sierra Classic C1500 305.
Engine Size
350, 305
That sounds like a Dumb Idea. Who would do such a thing?

Honestly, mine was done like this when I bought it. I have to Do Something about my rails, they look awful but I feel like the truck needs them to stay. Any thoughts @FireTruck1984 ?
Yes, IMO the toolbox needs to go and a new set of original rails would look great ! But of course I’m biased, I restore and sell original bed rails.

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Yes, IMO the toolbox needs to go and a new set of original rails would look great ! But of course I’m biased, I restore and sell original bed rails.
I cannot get rid of the tool box. I never had one before but I use that one far too much. And I have too many folks with classic vehicles that expect me to have that toolbox at events.

I sure would like to have a set of the original like you show in that pic, possible cut down in length to match what I have now. Mine are pitted and ugly.

1STLS1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
MIchael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
This most likely would have been mine, I was prepared to bid on it but went higher than what I wanted to pay.

I have a thing for step sides. When I was growing up my Dad had a 76 Ford F250, long bed step side that he gave me when I was in high school outside of Pittsburgh in the early eighties. I hated that truck with a passion because all my friends parents had nice newer cool cars, not some farm truck. I was always embarrassed by it. When I was 16, I promised myself I would never own a old truck again.....

Fast forward 40 years......:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:
I currently have 2 in various stages of restoration. '85 Silverado K10 short bed and a '87 Sierra Classic 2 wheel drive short bed. Somebody is laughing at me from up above

akchevrolet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
I would love to have a 1980 one with the round eye and one with the square. 1 ton crew cab. 4x4 longbed stepside lifted with 35's. electric windows and locks shoot even put an alarm on it so people dont mess with it. and banana or canary yellow. maybe with the cab and chasis axle with duals tucked under the stepside. just plain unique.

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
Me, all day and night long: my brother's 1974 Cheyenne Super 454 (bored to 462) TH400 NP205 dual tank A/C dually 1 ton with added rear leaves, DANA 44 front and 70 rear, and a slight lift, due for more soon. Nice old big truck always hits home for me.

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
That’s cool! I have a set for mine, original GM in the box, but they came without the rubber pads (or whatever goes between the the rail and the sheet metal). Any suggestions?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod