Holy Grail of Squarebodys

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
To me, it would be mixing all of them together. Each couple of years things changed for the trucks and SUVs. Low back buckets to high back buckets, carb to EFI, etc.

Who doesn't love a full convertible Blazer? Or a CC body slammed to the ground? In reality, I'd love to have every model 2WD and 4WD even all the special package ones. They are all "holy grails" to me.

BearKing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bear
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Damn I'd love to find a k30, but they're just not as available anymore.
You and me both. I parted out about 5 of them ten years ago. HUGE MISTAKE. I even had a 3+3 1ton single rear wheel. Didn’t have a place to store all of them. I do now but am still mad at myself for doing that. What an idiot. I learned my lesson. I save ALL Squares now.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Even before Dodge had the Cummins engine you could go to your GM dealer in 1987 and order your new GM light duty truck with a Cummins.
The truck would be built by GM, then sent to a Cummins Re-fit facility in Indiana for the transplant. From there it would go to the dealer and you would pick it up.
I still have some of the ordering info from my GM dealership.
GM covered warranty on the vehicle and Cummins the engine and installation.
Never said GM owned Cummins either.
Wow. Never knew or heard of that.
That’s cool!
Before Dodge came with the Cummins too…
Weird.

TPISly-C10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Sly
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-10 shortbox
Engine Size
LQ4 6.0L
Any low millage top original shape square is for me a holy grail ;)

Attachments

• 9589841-1980-gmc-pickup-std.jpg
    9589841-1980-gmc-pickup-std.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

Juggernaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I have too many to list them all :Big Laugh: but I'll give ya 2. If we're talking OE, a '91 CCLW 4x4 with the 454/4L80/4.10 combo (but I'd have to backdate the front end because :puke:)
but if we're talking what I'd consider a holy grail/no budget that I'd like to build, that'd be a square headlight, CCSB 4x4 power everything/tilt/cruise/AC with a Cummins/Allison/F450 axle combo.
I can agree with everything but the F450 axles. Since 2002 I have had F450 and F550 work trucks, and a new one every 5 years. Every truck has had problems with the Dana axles. It is impossible to keep the alignment, even with brand new trucks, my 2021 has already been in for 2 alignments, I'm on my second set of tires, and it just turned over 50,000. I've had to replace wheel bearings and ball joints on EVERY truck. I once had a very good picture where I compared the worn out ball joint from my 2011 F550 with the ball joint on my 1994 C3500. The C3500 was considerably bigger. That being said, my work trucks are always fully loaded and near the GVWR, but I just don't think Dana is the axle they used to be. I think you're much better off with older axles

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Back in 1990 Ford Motor Company purchased 10.8% of common stock in Cummins. The company even had a seat on the Board their own Vice President (Kenneth R. Dabrowski)Then in 1997 Cummins purchased the shares (1.3 Million worth) back from Ford and that was that.
So useing that math Cummins as a company was only worth like 13 millions dollars in 1997??? That seems way to cheap.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I can agree with everything but the F450 axles. Since 2002 I have had F450 and F550 work trucks, and a new one every 5 years. Every truck has had problems with the Dana axles. It is impossible to keep the alignment, even with brand new trucks, my 2021 has already been in for 2 alignments, I'm on my second set of tires, and it just turned over 50,000. I've had to replace wheel bearings and ball joints on EVERY truck. I once had a very good picture where I compared the worn out ball joint from my 2011 F550 with the ball joint on my 1994 C3500. The C3500 was considerably bigger. That being said, my work trucks are always fully loaded and near the GVWR, but I just don't think Dana is the axle they used to be. I think you're much better off with older axles
All those one ton and more Ford's clunk and knock over bumps.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Wow! Good to know, I only said that cuz I know those trucks turn on a dime compared to most other 4x4 axles

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Aww hell, I surely didn't mean to derail this thread with this diesel vs. diesel BS.

I once worked on a 27 foot Lafitte Skiff that started its life with a 4-71 Detroit and we later swapped it for 5.9 Cummins. At no point did we ever call it a GMC or a Dodge.
I used to operate a 38 foot Chris Craft that had begun life with twin 440 Chryslers that had been swapped for twin 8V53 Detroits. At no point did we call that boat a GMC or a Chrysler.
Our 32 foot Lafitte had an old straight 6 Perkins Diesel. We never referred to that boat as a Massey Fergusson.

However, I can right now go find a Dodge/Ram with a Cummins, a GMC with a Duramax and a Ford with a Navistar. It just seems to me that an engine swap should kind of follow the manufacturer of the original vehicle. That's just my opinion which, by the way, is worth enough that if you take that and $1 you can probably buy a Coke. Or a Pepsi, or a Pop or a Soda or whatever makes you happy.

I really want to get back to this Holy Grail thing though.

A Beau James?

You must be registered for see images attach

A Gentleman Jim?

How about an Indy 500 GMC?

Sorry, that was all GMCs. I can think of a couple rare Chevys too...

The Sport

or this really cool thing!

I want an Indy Hauler dually like the one in Cannonball Run something bad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey