Green Gas Monkey Wrecked Truck being rebuilt.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
That's not good. I got some pretty thick spots on mine too. Lol

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
I noticed the thick layer of bondo when this latest shop was working on it prepping it for new paint. He was working on the firewall and as he was taking the paint off to get down to metal you got a good look at how thick that bondo was/is :eek:
IIRC, when it first got wrecked if you looked close at the pictures, you could see the bondo on the door/fender. I do remember everyone being up in arms about that

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
IIRC, when it first got wrecked if you looked close at the pictures, you could see the bondo on the door/fender. I do remember everyone being up in arms about that
Well, to get anything 'straight as glass' you're going to have a layer of body filler over the metal so that's to be expected IMO but what I saw in one of the latest videos it seemed thicker than what one would expect upon closer inspection.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Well, to get anything 'straight as glass' you're going to have a layer of body filler over the metal so that's to be expected IMO but what I saw in one of the latest videos it seemed thicker than what one would expect upon closer inspection.
Oh I know. This was quite a bit more than a skim coat lol

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
3 years later and he still ain't done? I lost interest in this truck. Actually forgot about it.
YES, Me too. Thanks for taking over and keeping up with the posts @bluex .

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Very true. It's common in those high end paint jobs there's filler used even if ever so slight Some of the even higher end jobs will fill with hot lead

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
There was one point where he was grinding an he looked at the camera like he was stunned by the amount of filler in there.

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
Newest episode

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
Newest episode

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
So I wonder who's fault it was for not having the tabs on the axle fully welded? Did Alex replace that rear end or did it leave Gas Monkey like that? I don't remember. Also with that 3rd member :eek:

Glad they caught that stuff! Seems like they're getting the truck up to 100% pretty well.

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
So I wonder who's fault it was for not having the tabs on the axle fully welded? Did Alex replace that rear end or did it leave Gas Monkey like that? I don't remember. Also with that 3rd member :eek:

Glad they caught that stuff! Seems like they're getting the truck up to 100% pretty well.
Alex got an entire new rear axle. The new PB kit he got was very different from the one GMG had. So rather than cut all the old brackets off he got a new housing.

What's funny is people in the comments are defending Alex saying "it was still in mockup" or "you didn't show a close up of the before welds or yours after, they probably weren't really that bad"

1. Being in mockup is fine. Welding should be finished before powdercoat though....

2. You can clearly see where he hooks up the ground clamp that bracket is only tacked at the top an the bottom. You can't see the bar brackets very well but I bet they are only tacked to. He doesn't seem like someone who would redo something just to bash someone else. Plus he even said about the diff that he wasn't even going to record that. Just from what I remembered of the build I wouldn't have expected the diff to be sealed up. I would have been surprised by the unfinished welds though. Why go spend the money on PC when the fab isn't finished....

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
It was likely done for mock up and verify angles at ride height, but someone jumped ahead and sent everything to powder coating too soon.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
Engine Size
350/350/454
Alex got an entire new rear axle. The new PB kit he got was very different from the one GMG had. So rather than cut all the old brackets off he got a new housing.

What's funny is people in the comments are defending Alex saying "it was still in mockup" or "you didn't show a close up of the before welds or yours after, they probably weren't really that bad"

1. Being in mockup is fine. Welding should be finished before powdercoat though....

2. You can clearly see where he hooks up the ground clamp that bracket is only tacked at the top an the bottom. You can't see the bar brackets very well but I bet they are only tacked to. He doesn't seem like someone who would redo something just to bash someone else. Plus he even said about the diff that he wasn't even going to record that. Just from what I remembered of the build I wouldn't have expected the diff to be sealed up. I would have been surprised by the unfinished welds though. Why go spend the money on PC when the fab isn't finished....
That's what I thought but I couldn't remember and my thoughts were exactly what you said. No one sends anything to powdercoat that is still in mock up. Did he really think those tacks were good to go rather than a full weld? I saw the comments in the vid, too, because there was too much to correct and I don't have the time for that with something that doesn't impact my life in anyway LOL

Makes me think about the other cars that Alex fixed up and sold. Were they all this bad or just this one because he didn't know what he was doing and the project was way deeper than his usual stuff.

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
That's what I thought but I couldn't remember and my thoughts were exactly what you said. No one sends anything to powdercoat that is still in mock up. Did he really think those tacks were good to go rather than a full weld? I saw the comments in the vid, too, because there was too much to correct and I don't have the time for that with something that doesn't impact my life in anyway LOL

Makes me think about the other cars that Alex fixed up and sold. Were they all this bad or just this one because he didn't know what he was doing and the project was way deeper than his usual stuff.
I didn't watch a ton of his other videos but I think this was the most extensive an biggest project he had taken on. Most of the rest were just body damage an maybe a frame pull/repair. I think he had a better support network before he went to Atlanta an that might be why everything stalled out after his move.

That's why I'm always sketchy about anything with a salvage title. You never know how it was fixed. I considered buying a wrecked charger to fix rather than the one I got. After crunching the numbers though it didn't seem like that much of a savings to make it worth it. So I know people trying to flip them are cutting corners somewhere...

TravisB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
2. You can't see the bar brackets very well but I bet they are only tacked to.
When the older guy was torching off the powder coat you could see the flame in the gaps of the bar brackets. They were just tacked on too. :/

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128