Green Gas Monkey Wrecked Truck being rebuilt.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
In earlier videos it looks like hes in some sort of large shop in a large yard. You also see randomly during cut scenes other people helping him. Not sure what the deal is but I take it for face value. Like watching Roadkill or any other car related show. Its entertainment and not a how too.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
Yup.
I agree on all accounts and I can see it just as entertainment.
Perhaps he is after the "any publicity, is good publicity" idea.
After all, we are here discussing his channel.

I found him to be a total tool in the 2 minutes I watched and decided that I didn't want to give his stuff any more attention than I had.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
What I don't get about him is exactly like what @TravisB point out. He seems absolutely clueless but yet he tears down and rebuilds some pretty high end cars all the time and from what we can see they seem to turn out to be pretty decent when he's done. but some of the stuff he says makes him seem like he's clueless. Does he have a helper(s) that he just never shows on camera? Is he just good a Googling or following step by step instructions? Taking out the rear end. Doesn't know what the emergency brake lines are. Doesn't seem sure what to call the differential. I'm just super confused on if he really knows anything or if he's just really good at hiding the people who actually do the work :shrug:

I thought it was just me. Doesn't it sound like he is reading from a card?

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
His first video was enough to run me off. Seemed like a kid with no skills but mommy and daddy’s money. I knew plenty of these guys in high school and won’t waste my time watching them long after. Either it’s an act ( annoying ) or he’s serious. Equally as annoying.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
What I don't get about him is exactly like what @TravisB point out. He seems absolutely clueless but yet he tears down and rebuilds some pretty high end cars all the time and from what we can see they seem to turn out to be pretty decent when he's done. but some of the stuff he says makes him seem like he's clueless. Does he have a helper(s) that he just never shows on camera? Is he just good a Googling or following step by step instructions? Taking out the rear end. Doesn't know what the emergency brake lines are. Doesn't seem sure what to call the differential. I'm just super confused on if he really knows anything or if he's just really good at hiding the people who actually do the work :shrug:
I have noticed this too. I am pretty decent shade tree mechanic. I have never replaced an engine or trans. But I have done lots of other stuff, from pretty much every accessory on an engine to timing belts to complete brake systems etc. My point to saying this is that I seem to know what way more stuff is or does, or is called etc. I couldn't believe he didn't know what rivets were. And you can't leave out every cross member? Chevy put those there for a reason??? The guy kills his battery tools and has to stop?? No corded tools?

I too am at a loss here

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Looks like I need to watch the last one. There looks to be one I have not watched. I thought I subscribed but it looks that YouTube is just putting them up or suggested them too me based on my past viewing the previous episodes?

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Ok I'm just watching episode 8. He discovers that he is going to have to change the position of the mounts for the air bags. Says it's due to a design change from the earlier version gas monkey used and the one he has. So he will take the new brackets and weld them on where they need to go. Here is the part that's not adding up. He says " I'm going to weld these on to the axle right here. I don't actually have a welder so I can't do that this video. Im going to go buy a welder so that I can weld those on...." What??? How does this guy rebuild and fix all these wrecked cars, let alone work in an auto type shop doing this work and not have a welder?

I also noticed when he talked about removing the rear axle he was listing the stuff and he mentions " I had to remove these cables whatever they are E brake cables I think"?? What maybe he just says that but that should be a given and obviously the e brake cables?

I initially thought this guy was a one man show. But clearly he has help off camera, or works as part of a shop or something and is just the on screen talent? Or unless like someone said he is really good at googling stuff but seems like a project like this would take you years if you had to Google all this stuff as well as work a day job, unless he is making enough at this point off YouTube that this is his day job. But I believe he still has someone off camera helping him and guiding him like his dad or a shop owner or something?

Also he said he had a 75 from, I was thinking it was out of the 80s for some reason? Also why would the frame have a notch in it for the cats? That's what he says. Says the cats would fit there in the frame rail? What , my truck had them cut out decades ago but why would they be that far over? And why dip down if they had cats?

Last edited:

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Ok he just posted #9 the rear end build.

I am positive this guy has no idea what he is doing. He is just the front man for some channel or shop? First he talks about how the spring perches won't work due to the rear end of the old one. Instead of dabbing something up he orders a new Curry 9" rear which is fine, you know it will work with what you have and you don't have to reinvent anything. But when he talks about welding the perches he says " I'm going to go weld these on, and my welder is actually next door". I was thinking that his shop had multiple parts or buildings etc....no he actually meant his welders shop was next door. He said they guy didn't feel comfortable me filming or being on camera so I didn't film any of that. Again this guy supposedly rebuilds wrecked cars and he has no welder and can't weld?

Then when he takes the third member out of the axle , which he by the way never calls a third member, he did call it a differential a few times, he says " I need to pull the axles and open up the differential and get the yoke out of there or whatever is in there"!! What?? Maybe he just doesn't know what the stuff is called? Then in the end he finially pulls the third member and has it sitting on the floor and is looking at it and says "wow this is really simple there isn't much in here I have never seen one of these before and been in one before. There is not much back here besides this big gear"!! So no it's not just he doesn't know what there called he has no idea what's in a differential.

Suspicions are confirmed this guy has no idea what he is doing. He may well be good at figuring out stuff as he goes and parts swapping but he is definitely learning on camera. Which is fine , but I don't believe he is actually personally rebuilding all of these vehicles. Seems there is a lack of tools. He only seems to have the cordless tools he uses. I don't see huge tool boxes of stuff. When he was reassembling the rear end he was hitting the bolts with a 16oz carpenter claw hammer!! No I do that crap, but I am ghetto and cheap and not a real mechanic, but seriously half the time I use a deadblow of small two pound sledge type hammer if I don't care what I mar up.

I think he is for the millineal want to be cool car crowd that pays money to bolt on crap to their car and go hang out at Walmart and watch the fast and furious movies in between playing call of duty and fortnight and hanging out at the mall.

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
So he's back at it with videos on the truck. He got the front sheet metal out in this latest one. Not only could he not remember who gave it to him, its the cheapest, bottom of the barrel parts you can get. We were trying to get him quality, restoration level stuff. While I may not care for gas monkey either, this truck deserved better than its received in either of its "rebuilds"

We offered to help numerous times an never got a reply back. Maybe it was for the best, an then he picked up an moved to Atl. Wonder what he will do if the accuair takes a dump....

chiefburns

Reaction score
First Name
Malcolm
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
6cyl
What surprised me the most was the original truck build by GMG. In one of the videos the robot voice guy shows of the interior, he pans past the original fuse block, complete with what looks like the original glass fuses. I would have assumed they would have replaced the entire wiring harness on a high-dollar build like this one but maybe that's why he's super rich and I'm not.

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
Looks like someone is FINALLY finishing this thing....

Sounds like it was a mess an never actually "belonged" to Alex either....

Ugh that's the wrong hood for a 76 too. Funny that he talked about how bad the metal was. I'm not surprised at all.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
Episode 2 air ride stuff, they had to replace everything except the bags.

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
Last one they have for now. Some paint prep am damage repair

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
3 years later and he still ain't done? I lost interest in this truck. Actually forgot about it.
It's at a different shop now. 74Auto got it back an took it somewhere else. Alex gave up his you tube channel about 2yrs ago now I believe.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL