Green Gas Monkey Wrecked Truck being rebuilt.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
I happened to see the episode when they found/bought the truck (along with the property it was on).
It was in great shape, a survivor, they should have left it alone.
They lost money when it was sold at a charity event after the build, then it lost money at auction.
I watched that episode and woulda bought it as it sat!!! Woulda loved to have it

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
He claims he bought the truck at 74Auto, but that was certainly a Copart facility he picked it up at. Well, I'm 90% certain it was. 74Auto is obviously one of the places that sponsors him and gives up parts. He wears their clothes and mentions them every time he takes a breath between sentences. Maybe that's what I need to do to finally get one of my projects moving. Find me a sponsor. Hell I don't a **** ton. I have all the parts, just need some rebuild kits and items like that.
I tried convincing a friend of mine who wanted my suburban to be its sponsor and when i sold it they would get it but no dice lol

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
I sent old boy a msg on youtube about it, and told him I wanted that old school tube grille and the hood protector chrome thing

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
If I was to restore one and put that much money in it. It'd look more like this burb.

You must be registered for see images attach

It's all preference but, I just think this looks better than slamming it to the ground with 24s and thin ass tires. Im not a big 4x4 jacked up truck guy either but looks better imo. I know a lot of people out there like that slammed look just not for me. I just don't see the point in it I guess. Wtf would you want the frame of your truck literally sitting on the ground?
I think it's gay but do what ya want.

All that being said. I'll wait to see his final job. I am interested to see what he does. I liked that truck other than suspension and rims with those tires. No stereo is gay too but, I can put my own sound system in it.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
No doubt, if I were to put that much money and time into a project it's not going to be just a pick up. It would have to a Burb, K5 or Crew Cab at least and it would be 4x4.

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins
Yeah, that makes sense. Hard to give stuff away and hope for some good pub on the back end and then hope that turns into a boost in business. He could use some expertise, though. He knows nothing about squarebodies. Seems to be good at overall diagnosis and that kinda stuff so that's good but he asks some pretty remedial questions in his videos about the squarebody trucks. Last vid from a couple days ago he wasn't sure what a "Custom Deluxe" was when he read the dash plaque. I look forward to seeing his progress on getting this truck back on the road.

Agreed, granted we all started somewhere and weren't experts on these trucks overnight and we still don't know everything about these trucks, but stuff like trim levels is like week 1 square body stuff. Even scarier is the amount of people commenting that don't seem to know squat about stuff like that either, saying Big Tens and Custom Deluxe are the same thing, which they are not.

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
I think $800 for the donor truck is a good price, at least in PA. You can see through the truck tothe other side of the road for $800 up here.

As for him not knowing trim levels, its a pretty easy explanation. I recently stumbled upon his channel and it seems like he does late model high end cars more than trucks and classics. I'm willing to bet most of the people that watch his videos arent very knowledgeable in the field either and watch him purely for the finished car payoff.

In any case, he seems like a young dude with pretty solid head on his shoulders who has access to a facility and tools that some of us dream of. I'll be watching and I hope it comes out well for him.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Another video update Nov. 6, 2019.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

gotyourgoat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
gotyourgoat
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
smokin' 305
I stopped it at 15 seconds because he mentioned a donor frame at 10 seconds...

Ridiculous, he bought another truck to kill for parts when frames can be had for like 200 bux. The original build never made much sense. Redoing an entire truck with way more performance and power than ever before but reusing the old frame? Shocking they lost money on this build.

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size
I figure some hilarity will ensue shortly. Portbuilt has/includes zero instructions (or used to) he does have the benefit that they finally started marking the hardware bags. It used to be just a giant puzzle you had to figure out yourself off a few pictures.

Well he has the old frame to but this stuff should be at least 2 gen newer. I wonder if he paid for that or if it was "donated" as well. Knowing PB I doubt they even gave him a discount. I am surprised he bought an entire new kit though. I bet the new stuff isnt compatible with what was on the old frame.

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size

Ridiculous, he bought another truck to kill for parts when frames can be had for like 200 bux. The original build never made much sense. Redoing an entire truck with way more performance and power than ever before but reusing the old frame? Shocking they lost money on this build.

We priced him a full a No Limit frame. Rob won't build one to lay frame though as he considers that a saftey issue an Alex wants it to sit/drive like it did before.

We called GSI as well an worked the best deal we could on a full frame from them, both were over 10k from what I remember. I guess that was still to much. That PB kit is around 6-7k last time I checked it. After seeing how the modified factory fame collapsed another 3-4k for a full purpose built frame seems a no brainer to me.

We've sold 1 No limit chassis an let me tell you, that thing was super nice an 1000x more sturdy than a factory frame. It is a lot of money but you definately get your money's worth from it.

Oh an you missed the worst part where they cut the cab to pieces for "parts" what a waste, they kept saying how it was "shot" an not worth saving etc. It was actually pretty solid from what I could tell.

Last edited:

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I definitely would have done an aftermarket frame as these frames are super flexible. We partially dissasembled my sons frame to powder coat and it was like a wet noodle. The only places it doesn't flex are where we C-Notched it and shortened it from a LWB to SWB.

Both PB and GSI sell frame stiffeners. The PB one was too much for my sons build as it is designed for bags and such. I tried to buy the GSI one as I thought it would address a lot of the flex but couldn't get anyone to return my calls or emails.

On my Nova, I added a cage and subframe connectors and It still flexed. Bought a frame from Schwartz Performance and the car is tight and lighter.

I saw some pictures from SEMA and I believe that I saw that someone is coming out with a frame for the C10's. I'd be interested in one for another build.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

Well then you didn't see them cut the cab in two on that video.

He mentioned the donor frame and bought the truck on the previous episode.