Cold Air Intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
I found this in the garage last night

You must be registered for see images attach

As far as I know you can't turn the air filter. It fits on the carb and turns like an inch each way. Which means it ends up back by the blower motor on pass side. Don't know if it is worth putting on as it won't draw cold air from grill.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I picked up one of those at the junkyard but later realized it would not work with my air cleaner and the angle of the inlet. I assume it’s for some GM car.

Bruce

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

As far as I know you can't turn the air filter. It fits on the carb and turns like an inch each way. Which means it ends up back by the blower motor on pass side. Don't know if it is worth putting on as it won't draw cold air from grill.

If you flip it 180° doesn't that put it toward the front then?

But yea you can't spin the air cleaner base. There is a notch in it for the distributor and a little notch in the front for the accelerator pump on the quadrajet.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
If you flip it 180° doesn't that put it toward the front then?

But yea you can't spin the air cleaner base. There is a notch in it for the distributor and a little notch in the front for the accelerator pump on the quadrajet.

If I flip it it runs into radiator and won't work.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
You need ome of the 90 degree tbi air cleaners. Or at least later 80s where it comes out at a 90 degree angle to the front vs the one you have is at 45

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size

You need the inlet hose that would have been stock on your 1982.

The hose on the passenger side. The hose on the driver's side is the same one turned upside down. One long Ty-Wrap holds it in place. (Which is missing in this picture)

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Ohhhh LEET CAI is all the hot ticket these days to go with your vortex heds and black rim.

Shhh it doesn't matter GM made them in trucks 30-40 years ago..details, details!

@bucket sent me one of them inlet dealys AND it's actually BIGGER than the tube to the Slowsmobile diesel air cleaner! Qtf.

Anybody gots ne good ideas to connect the two? I'm all ears.

Standby for incoming pix. It's so hard to post pictures! Gah! I gotta find five seconds FIRST! :mad:

The air cleaner inlet /tube is about 2+7/8 inches and the truck inlet is about 4+7/8 inches.

See the tube fits INSIDE the inlet.

Figured I could poke a couple of holes in the tube and zip tie it to the inlet...there's only one size/kind/type? Tube I got fits perfect on the air cleaner...

Public Thank you @bucket .

GTP51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Geoff
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado half ton Stepside
Engine Size
Ohhhh LEET CAI is all the hot ticket these days to go with your vortex heds and black rim.

Shhh it doesn't matter GM made them in trucks 30-40 years ago..details, details!

@bucket sent me one of them inlet dealys AND it's actually BIGGER than the tube to the Slowsmobile diesel air cleaner! Qtf.

Anybody gots ne good ideas to connect the two? I'm all ears.

Standby for incoming pix. It's so hard to post pictures! Gah! I gotta find five seconds FIRST! :mad:

The air cleaner inlet /tube is about 2+7/8 inches and the truck inlet is about 4+7/8 inches.

See the tube fits INSIDE the inlet.

Figured I could poke a couple of holes in the tube and zip tie it to the inlet...there's only one size/kind/type? Tube I got fits perfect on the air cleaner...

Public Thank you @bucket .

I used plumbing fittings I think it was a 90mm pipe and a reducer, if that helps

Last edited:

Blackbeard44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
6.0 LS
I remember reading in a magazine maybe it was Hot rod magazine, 2 leaf blowers hooked up to an air cleaner made 7 more HP!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1