Cold Air Intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
You must be registered for see images attach

This aint the best picture, but I think "tall lid" may have been misleading depending on the year or air cleaner, because this 79 which has a a half-Qjet (Dualjet) and Im certain that the 260 oldsmobile its on didnt need any high tooting lid for the air filter, lol, but the filter visible to the right is rather tall for what it was stuck on and the lid wasnt all that tall lookiing when it was over it.

This 1980 with a dualjet on a 260 oldsmobile has the same base air cleaner, it seems, but it has a "short" lid

With the filter youd expect under it. The air cleaners dont look different from quick shot, I should ptu them side by side and show what I mean if I remember. But I think the depth of the air filter around the carb can allow a taller filter without the lid having to be taller, if that makes sense. So a small rise over an already normal filter size lid may not be super noticeable and surprise you, but if you slapped the 260's dualjet on a SBC manifold and threw it on the truck
you would prob have issues with the distributor or something else, maybe. The 400 pontiac air cleaner I have sits almost flush with the top of the carb so the air cleaner wall is tall, but the lid is flat.

Maybe the best way to look at it is, has over the years and the various applications youve seen filters, have you seen taller filters used where you wouldnt find a short one, regardless of the air cleaner design

my dads 75 400 air filter seems to be taller than what I would expect, but the manifold was a high rise manifold, so maybe it had more "drop" around the Qjet?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350

Turbo4whl this exactly how I want my air intake , could you feel a difference ?​

what you really need is one of those

Go ahead and put another one of those on the opposite side of your core support and go to town, we believe in you!
There are a few members here who have some big displacement engines(cant think of names) and who also use 2 THERMACs on both sides for the cold driveability and I do recall them saying THAT made some difference but they wouldnt be a stock example but I imagine on smog era engine something that isnt restrictive on the exhaust side and has anything like just simple deletion of stuff and headers, a choking intake becomes a limiter so opening up more surface area to flow in without witholding air will probably help. especially if you start touching internals.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

There's a good example of how mother nature always tries to reclaim our vehicles when they sit too long.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
There's a good example of how mother nature always tries to reclaim our vehicles when they sit too long.
Yes. I’m sure my gpas also had a plenty of batteries since he no longer had his original battery tray.. those acid spills or something over time went to the next lower spot. Plus dirt snow salt sand _____ you name it lol.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Yes. I’m sure my gpas also had a plenty of batteries since he no longer had his original battery tray.. those acid spills or something over time went to the next lower spot. Plus dirt snow salt sand _____ you name it lol.

I meant the random plant growing up through the engine compartment :)

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I meant the random plant growing up through the engine compartment :)
OH The oldsmobiles not the square. I was gonna say, where the hell is a plant growing. There is a tree that decided to wedge between the bumper and the body on the 79 and Before I cut it down was slowly jacking The bumper away(missed opportunity for a funny ha) and now its just kinda resting on it.

Would you look at the odds of that, I found it in the first 5 seconds of searching. To the right, in the corner. I imagine the tail light bit the dust from it but im unsure.

RIP oldsmobile cutlass

This pic was 92 or so. RIP

BigbearTurner

Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
took a couple as it was warming up this morning. It's back to my commuting vehicle since the wife's Sequoia is torn apart and she's in my Highlander.
Now if i could just find one of these air cleaners locally for my truck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1