Cold Air Intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I finially got around to installing the factory setup. I got a factory air cleaner from a buddy who parts out trucks. I then got a black dryer hose off Amazon. Put the bracket back on the firewall I took of 15 years ago to run my trans cooler lines through the hole. I had it sitting on the wheel well and had rags in it I forgot what it was till I was looking at recently. It was about time to run new rubber trans cooler lines to my auxiliary cooler so I ran them under the radiator this time and put the cold air hookup back in the firewall. Then put the intake on and cut the dryer hose to length after I squeezed it on the ovel end.
I got a double thick gasket for the carb cause what was on there I could see a tiny gap in, not sure if the plug wires are slightly bulkier and hitting it what, bit it would tighten down, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't sucking around it.

I need to get a hose to hook up to the breather cap to finish it off.

Will try to remember a pic.

Will I ever notice a difference, probably not real world but hot air does not make power. The chime cleaner I had was pretty dull and dirty so it was not really dressing anything up. And untill I reseal this motor hopefully this winter it's an oily mess anyway.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
I personally prefer the air coming from outside the engine compartment. Some say the factory setup doesn't draw in enough air, but I have never observed a lack of power from the factory setup. Then again I am not racing the truck.

82sbshortbed

Fuckemall!!
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
1982, 1984
Truck Model
1500 shortbed, 1500 longbed
Engine Size
454, 305
Got any pics?

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Got any pics?
I got sidetracked when I got home. Was trying to find a leak on the roof and tore into the Sequoia I just did a timing belt job on. I noticed the AC compressor was always running. The clutch had welded itself. Pulled that apart diagnosed that and got it broke free. I'm going to clean up the plate and put it back together today. There is not OE quality denso clutches available that I can see. I just replaced that compressor less than a year ago so I'd rather not do it again if necessary.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Got any pics?
You must be registered for see images attach
took a couple as it was warming up this morning. It's back to my commuting vehicle since the wife's Sequoia is torn apart and she's in my Highlander.

Last edited:

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I personally prefer the air coming from outside the engine compartment. Some say the factory setup doesn't draw in enough air, but I have never observed a lack of power from the factory setup. Then again I am not racing the truck.
I think the area it pulls from may be the smallest area to pull from. But that area equals at least the throat diameter of the carburetor so it's not smaller. Only thing I could see is the corrugated tube and the run causing drag and roughness of the air stream entering. But I don't have a high performance engine and don't spend any time up at 6,000rpm where that probably matters.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I don't think the ribs in your hose make much of a difference, the OEM tube has them too. If your base looks like mine, I would guess most turbulence gets corrected just before the air filter due to the diverter just inside the snorkel.

Backfoot100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Carbed 350
I think the air filter itself would be smoothing any turbulence if there was any.
The big thing is that it gets more than enough cool air from outside. I even cut off the cover on the air intake in the core support so it provides sort of a ram air effect at highway speeds. Have had zero issues with it. I picked dragon fly out the filter once but thats been it.

Look at the snorkel horns on factory air cleaners. Most are tapered to a tiny hole in the end sucking hot air from the engine bay.
The factory cold air setup just has to be so much better than that.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I don't think the ribs in your hose make much of a difference, the OEM tube has them too. If your base looks like mine, I would guess most turbulence gets corrected just before the air filter due to the diverter just inside the snorkel.

Yea I didn't think about that diverter. It has it.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I even cut off the cover on the air intake in the core support so it provides sort of a ram air effect at highway speeds. Have had zero issues with it.

That's what I did on mine.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350

where do you get such a beautiful tall lid for your wonderful cleaner good sir? I want a filter that big, not because i need it but because I want it!

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
If one fresh air inlet is good, two must be better.... and it is!

The heat stove on the second snorkel is blocked off. Vacuum to that flapper door is straight to manifold vacuum. Still cold engine, you only have heated air to the air cleaner at idle and slightly above idle. Punch the throttle, manifold vacuum drops quick and the second door opens.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL