Anyone Ever replace a Firewall Insulation Pad ??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@Ronno6,

Yes, I have. But it wasn't that bad due to having taken everything out of the dash because I was rebuilding the truck. And when it came time to begin the interior back in the firewall pad was the first thing back in. My original one was in great shape so I just reused it. My truck is a '74 C10 and the rebuild took place in '94, '95. So twenty years wasn't that long since factory install and the truck was not abused at all. I'm the second owner and the pad was not all cracked or missing pieces.
Now, I can see if you had all kinds of stuff still attached and wires and hoses and steering column still in and all that still in the truck it would be a PIA. I've looked at new aftermarket ones in my catalogs from places that have accurate reproductions and there aren't any splits for it to slide down over stuff. Oh no, it's one piece and everything would need to come out or you'd have to make splits to slide it down but even then it would be hard. I can see where you'd need to remove parts and glue it back when you were through. Man!

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
When I did my truck I didn’t redo that factory pad. I used the sound deadening mat and some high density padding.
Figured it would do better than that crap from the 70s

Ronno6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I had the heater/AC box out already, and OEM insulation was in tatters.That is what motivated me.
But..........then came steering column, clutch/brake hanger bracket, fuse box, accelerator pedal. etc...etc....etc.....
I'm not as flexible as I used to was.........

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I dunno the brand. My buddy owns a flooring shop and they also do that sound proof studio stuff.
It was basically a roll of high density closed foam.
I’ll see if I can get a brand name from him. It was maybe 1/2” thick.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@eskimomann209,

How did it go down? Was it adhesive on one side or what? And what was the type "sound deadening" Me to on the info!

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I used the Kilmat first. The second stuff was not sticky it was in a roll. I used the heater core and the fuse box to hold it into position. Plus the dash supporting mounts held it up too.

Like this stuff!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alysco