Under-pad replacement suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
So, if you didn't see my recent post in the rant thread, I spilled a gallon of gas inside the 'burb. Made a bit of a mess, but it could've been worse I guess. The bright red two-stroke mix made it pretty easy to see where it went. The carpet will have to be saved no matter what, I don't want mis-matched carpet and I'm not about to replace all of it.

This is the bottom side of the carpet.

You must be registered for see images attach

The pad underneath smells pretty nasty and isn't a material that lends itself to cleaning. The topside of it has a butyl (?) type of material and got sticky from the gas. It's like warm tar and sticks to everything, so it has to go.

So, I'm looking for a suitable replacement material. I'm guessing this type of pad material isn't reproduced, but I haven't searched for it yet either. Assuming the next option is one of the stick-on sound deadening materials, what do you suggest? I looked into the offerings a few years ago and got so overwhelmed I gave up. I'd like something quiet and won't stink when it gets warm. I'll probably replace the forward half of the pad as well, so the carpet is all the same level. Cost isn't too much of an issue, but if they perform the same I'll buy the cheaper stuff. I would appreciate some suggestions. (beyond "Tie down your gas can better next time ya' moron.")

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I’m pretty sure that padding is called “jute”, a local upholstery shop will probably have it. When I worked at a dealer we would buy it by the foot for flood repair cars.

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
Since this truck is clearly used for work, I'd probably stay away from stuff like Boom Mat or KillMat, etc. They sell what's called "Jute" and usually offer it with the "mass backing", which is the tar/rubbery stuff. ACC Carpet sells it along with many other places.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
The carpet on our 99 looked pretty bad, when we got it it was full of trash. I stripped the interior and pressure washed carpet heavily using cleaners. It had stains all over but was clean. I bought a couple cans of carpet paint and it looked really really nice! Just a thought.

Rickf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
1974, 1954 & a 1937
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
When I spilt a 32:1 mix on the rear floor of a WRX, I cleaned it up with baking soda. It did an ok job of cleaning up the stain and got rid of the odor.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I used regular carpet jute for houses before. Seem to work fine

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Good to know a source, thanks Hucked. I've scrubbed the carpet with Purple Power and a stiff brush, rinsed with a 3800psi power washer, and it still smells like gas. It's been hanging up outside but it needs more than fresh air. Today I'll start trying the other suggestions the www says to do. Vinegar, baking soda, and Poof are on the list.

It was amazing how much dirt came out. I mean, wtf, I've vacuumed that carpet at least a half-dozen times in the last 25 years and there was still enough dirt that I could've planted row crops back there.

Jgonick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Vinegar, baking soda,
It's really amazing how well those two items clean and eliminate odor.
An FYI a mixture of hydrogen peroxide and baking soda and dish washing soap works in getting rid of skunk smell- tomato juice doesn't work. Yes, I know from experience unfortunately.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad