8.1 vortec into 1979 k30

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Search "Dirty Larry" on the other square body site. He's done exactly what your thinking. His thread will answer any question you can ponder.

I was going to say this. I read something like 33 pages of stuff on his blue truck and I thought he was doing it again on a Suburban. I read it on expedition portal though.

You must be registered for see images attach

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
Big blocks can get expensive. My tall deck 8.0l build cost me a small fortune. 8.0l was the gen6 with gen7 parts sprinkled on it. Rods and pistons are the weak points on 8.1l. Raylar heads supposed to perform very well from what I have seen.

forcruzen

Reaction score
First Name
BRAD
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Did it....Love it.....Just took my first 8.1L for a long distance road trip. A few tips to follow....
search "dirty larry" like that one guy said
had original harness rebuilt but I still decided to do correct new harness from Howell Engineering.
Find a blown up 8.1 from possibly a van. That gives you all the brackets, pumps you will want if trying to get ac pump moved up since the gm parts numbers are obsolete unless you get lucky.
C10 old school headers do fit, original motor mounts work. Everything else from the past will not happen.
Whatever you think it will cost to do this just take that number X 2

Attachments

• IMG_9627.PNG
    IMG_9627.PNG
    881.6 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_9628.PNG
    IMG_9628.PNG
    845.1 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

1984dually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
8.1L
Did this swap in 2013 in my C30. look up 8.1 on here and it will come up. Swap is easier than a ls based swap. Just pullout your 350, swap over your flywheel/clutch/engine mounts and bolt it in. If you want air the frame will need notched or swap the van/medium duty truck stuff. One thing to remember is you’ll have to change everything on the front of the truck including the balancer. There is aftermarket stuff available. look up Amos Garcia on facebook. Makes some good stuff. Front crossmember will need a notch to clear the drivers side of the oil pan. Bigger radiator might be needed(used 6.2 diesel radiator). stand alone harness from Howell

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
83elcowes