Wiper Control Module

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

59840Surfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
350 Stroker to 383 with a 400 crank, Crane Cam, Q-Jet, single 3.5" exhaust..
I don't want to resurrect a zombie post about this - but I wonder what the current thinking is about a replacement for the pulse control module under the steering column?

I had one with a bad solder joint that I re-flowed and it worked for a while. Now it too, is dead and smells really bad.

Currently I grabbed a toggle switch to make the wipers operate at all - and I get a little mental about having to time when to flip the switch OFF to get the wipers as low as possible because Park doesn't work unless you momentarily reverse the polarity.

I'm thinking of using a 13V/20Amp PWM generator to operate the wipers with infinite speed control ... am I getting warm?

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Don't think they were designed to wipe really slow, just less often. If that's what you're getting at.

Pulse modules would be fairly easy to repair for someone with electric circuit knowledge. Surprises me there isn't someone doing it. Would be willing to bet all it would take is replacing a few capacitors. I looked into it, but knowing what caps to buy that are equal is the problem.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
There used to be a place I dealt with that would do reverse-engineering on any electronics board (particularly FANUC control boards), then mass produce a replacement if you wanted. Like everything else, the up-front part was a few $$$......the production was fairly cheap. We used them to overhaul old R-Sport gauge clusters for early 4N cars.

My module works fine. I sent it to one of the guys who used to work there and he said it'd be fairly easy to either make new ones or totally rebuild the old ones.

Always a thought.

59840Surfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Don't think they were designed to wipe really slow, just less often. If that's what you're getting at.

Pulse modules would be fairly easy to repair for someone with electric circuit knowledge. Surprises me there isn't someone doing it. Would be willing to bet all it would take is replacing a few capacitors. I looked into it, but knowing what caps to buy that are equal is the problem.
I hear you --- and kinda-sortta agree. Let me explain ....

If I were to use a good working original module, it does pause at the end of one cycle and then some sort of countdown timer sends power to the wiper motor again and it goes through the same cycle over and over.

What it doesn't do during those cycles is to go into the PARK mode - just short of it, but it hovers a few degrees away from the parking place it would go to if you turned them OFF.

I feel the key to getting the wiper motor to PARK is by reversing the polarity for a brief moment and then the pawl reaches out and grabs the gear wheel and pulls the wipers back down the rest of the way to the final resting place.

OK --- that's all well-n-good, and if I had my druthers, I'd find a way to make that happen again - but I think designing and building such a controller is out of my realm.

I DO have a couple of prebuilt, not by me PWM drivers, capable of 20 & 30 Amps at 12-24VDC - and they have a way to increase the pulse width and also to reverse the polarity, albeit manually, not automatically.

I checked and there are different modules for both brushless and brushed motors - so all is well.

Up to a point, I think I can appreciate the ability to run the blades slowly as that is kinda the same as running them less often. Mebbee.

This is going to be a rather drawn-out experiment as it's colder than a 4-foot-tall cow's udders after a 4-foot snowfall outside and this K5 will not fit inside the garage.

/

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I hear you --- and kinda-sortta agree. Let me explain ....

If I were to use a good working original module, it does pause at the end of one cycle and then some sort of countdown timer sends power to the wiper motor again and it goes through the same cycle over and over.

What it doesn't do during those cycles is to go into the PARK mode - just short of it, but it hovers a few degrees away from the parking place it would go to if you turned them OFF.

I feel the key to getting the wiper motor to PARK is by reversing the polarity for a brief moment and then the pawl reaches out and grabs the gear wheel and pulls the wipers back down the rest of the way to the final resting place.

OK --- that's all well-n-good, and if I had my druthers, I'd find a way to make that happen again - but I think designing and building such a controller is out of my realm.

I DO have a couple of prebuilt, not by me PWM drivers, capable of 20 & 30 Amps at 12-24VDC - and they have a way to increase the pulse width and also to reverse the polarity, albeit manually, not automatically.

I checked and there are different modules for both brushless and brushed motors - so all is well.

Up to a point, I think I can appreciate the ability to run the blades slowly as that is kinda the same as running them less often. Mebbee.

This is going to be a rather drawn-out experiment as it's colder than a 4-foot-tall cow's udders after a 4-foot snowfall outside and this K5 will not fit inside the garage.

/
Do it. I HATE my wipers! Fortunately living in Yuma Arizona I only need them once or twice a year. But it still bugs me knowing there's got to be something better.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size

Maybe you failed to see this recent post? :shrug:

Jgonick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Currently I grabbed a toggle switch to make the wipers operate at all -
Just because I'm curious (and too lazy currently to check it on my truck) but can't you just pull the pulse module out completely and plug the switch connection directly. I realize you wouldn't have the variable speeds, but High,Low,& mist would work. Or am I missing something? I haven't had to deal with wipers yet on my truck.

59840Surfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Just because I'm curious (and too lazy currently to check it on my truck) but can't you just pull the pulse module out completely and plug the switch connection directly. I realize you wouldn't have the variable speeds, but High,Low,& mist would work. Or am I missing something?
Both wire/plug ends are female --- I don't see how that could work.

The module is male on both ends and one end has 5 connex, the other has 7.

I'm at a loss how to do that.

Last edited:

Jgonick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I must be confused. I was thinking it was like this. (G & A wouldn't plug into anything but open slots)
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
Both wire/plug ends are female --- I don't see how that could work.

The module is male on both ends and one end has 5 connex, the other has 7.

I'm at a loss how to do that.
been a while since I've replaced a module, but I also thought you can plug the harness in and bypass the module....

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Just for shts and giggles....should I find out how much it would cost to make a run of NEW boards? I dont recall offhand but iirc, the box comes apart and the board could be removed and replaced?

Whats a price point that makes it worth a new board? $50? I have zero idea.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Just for shts and giggles....should I find out how much it would cost to make a run of NEW boards? I dont recall offhand but iirc, the box comes apart and the board could be removed and replaced?

Whats a price point that makes it worth a new board? $50? I have zero idea.
There are 2 different modules I know of [early and late] so there is that, picture below.

I follow a couple Ford Mustang forums. Private individuals take on reproducing unattainable parts on a low volume basis. Cost is high but they sell out. Items than come to mind are early Boss 429 front spoilers, lug nuts and Dearborn only radiator caps.

I think there is a demand. How many would sell or what people are willing to pay is the question. If your inquiry didn't involve much expense, it might be worth investigation.

Attachments

• 100_1392.JPG
    100_1392.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 22

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I must be confused. I was thinking it was like this. (G & A wouldn't plug into anything but open slots)
You must be registered for see images attach

You are correct. That's my picture from when my father repaired my module and I had operational wipers while he had the module. The harness plugs in without it.

mibars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Michal
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
350 TBI
You can bypass the module and have no intermittent wipers without any mods. Plugs does fit each other and one of them have some built in attachment points so it doesn't dangle under the column. Did that when I was troubleshooting slow wipers.

I did a "relay mod" for my wipers as they were darn slow and stopped at me in rain once. There was like a 2 volts or so voltage drop between body ground and wiper motor connector. This should also save the module as current is passed thru relays to body and module handles just some control current for relays.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
There are 2 different modules I know of [early and late] so there is that, picture below.

I follow a couple Ford Mustang forums. Private individuals take on reproducing unattainable parts on a low volume basis. Cost is high but they sell out. Items than come to mind are early Boss 429 front spoilers, lug nuts and Dearborn only radiator caps.

I think there is a demand. How many would sell or what people are willing to pay is the question. If your inquiry didn't involve much expense, it might be worth investigation.

I'll find out the details. Usually they will push for a 50pc order. Like has happened before....to reverse engineer is might be $1000+. To make new ones might be $5-10ea.

Going to get my working (85) one out of storage - would like to procure an older version too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1