Wiper washer upgrade and repairs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

justhorns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I'm about to replace the single speed wiper motor/washer pump due to pump problems. Now the washers run whenever the wipers are on. I'm thinking I'm going to replace the motor, and maybe the switch too to upgrade to dual speed wipers. Can I just replace the switch in the dash, and the motor pump assembly to upgrade to a dual speed wipers?

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
I'm about to replace the single speed wiper motor/washer pump due to pump problems. Now the washers run whenever the wipers are on. I'm thinking I'm going to replace the motor, and maybe the switch too to upgrade to dual speed wipers. Can I just replace the switch in the dash, and the motor pump assembly to upgrade to a dual speed wipers?
I didn't think that these trucks came with a single speed wiper motor, at least I've never seen one, is it possible one speed just isn't working. @Doppleganger Chris, what do you think?

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Never heard of a single speed motor on these - from what I have seen motorwise, they are all about the same style. I have rebuilt a couple of the older style (with pump included) and they are a PITA. If I had the older style, regardless, I would swap it out to the 85-87 style motor, then add either a stand alone aftermarket (or 85+ style) pump. Can add the stalk control to work as the later ones did, or put a contact button down next to the wiper switch.

The pump running with the motor I would guess is corrosion in the plug end or the motor. That'd also go away with an updated setup. Thats all I got without seeing it.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Something else that I thought about.....if that motor really is only running on one speed, then more than likely you've already lost a brush. Could be worn out or very likely there is a decades old plastic fixture that has plastic pins the tension springs pry against to hold the brushes in contact with the commutator. If any of them break, you'll lose what that brush did: one of the 2 speeds or power to it in general. I have 5 motors at the moment that are basically parts because that plastic fixture is broken or chipped (and they were never offered as a replacement part to begin with).

justhorns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Something else that I thought about.....if that motor really is only running on one speed, then more than likely you've already lost a brush. Could be worn out or very likely there is a decades old plastic fixture that has plastic pins the tension springs pry against to hold the brushes in contact with the commutator. If any of them break, you'll lose what that brush did: one of the 2 speeds or power to it in general. I have 5 motors at the moment that are basically parts because that plastic fixture is broken or chipped (and they were never offered as a replacement part to begin with).
No, the switch has one position. Single speed were standard on the custom deluxe'

justhorns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
So, I fixed my wipers and washers, twice! I now have two speeds (the switch was sticky and did not allow the second speed). Fixed that. And the washers would not stop running till the wipers were turned off. I tightened the spring on the washer rotating drum, seen right below the round plastic thingy. All working nicely now. I will never figure out why GM felt that had to have such a complicated widget to do these two separate functions. Later I guess they figured that out.. What in 96 or so...Only thirty years of using this silly gadget.

Attachments

• Ralph the Chevy c10 - 1 of 4.jpeg
    Ralph the Chevy c10 - 1 of 4.jpeg
    136.8 KB · Views: 51

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1