slow wiper motor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

84GMCSierra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
Good Morning, and hope you all have a good weekend. I have a question about my wiper motor. I have an 84 Base model Sierra(C2500), and when I first turn on the wipers, they are real slow, but then get to normal speed, on low and high. Also, my washers don't work, but all I see is a rebuild kit for the washer pump. Is that what I need for mine?, and should I be looking at a new wiper motor?
Thanks

Rickf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
1974, 1954 & a 1937
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
My wipers were slow and worked fine after I cleaned the old stiff grease out and re-lubed with a synthetic. Can't help with the pump issues.

CalSgt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K-10 Custom Deluxe
Engine Size
The control arms down in the cowl are a pia to get out but I’d start there. Like @Rickf said the grease gets dried up and stiff, take that out and service it, also you may be able to clean up and regrease the wiper arm mounts if you remove them.

You must be registered for see images attach

The riveted connections I was able to flush out with brake cleaner and force some grease down in there. I’d probably just drill the rivets and replace them with small screws.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
There was a video somewhere [here?] on how to drill and re-grease the transmissions.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Good Morning, and hope you all have a good weekend. I have a question about my wiper motor. I have an 84 Base model Sierra(C2500), and when I first turn on the wipers, they are real slow, but then get to normal speed, on low and high. Also, my washers don't work, but all I see is a rebuild kit for the washer pump. Is that what I need for mine?, and should I be looking at a new wiper motor?
Thanks
A couple common slow wiper motor issues. Bad motor, sticky or dry linkage and sometimes bad grounds.

Check out these threads:
>> <<
>> <<

If you decide to replace the wiper motor, do not get a cardone remanufactured wiper motor, and you have to be careful because a lot of "Store" brand wiper motors, for example napa branded reman'd wiper motors are cardones. We see a lot of issues with those at the shop. Instead get a WIA brand new motor, autozone sells them, and they are available online though Amazon and probably others.

84GMCSierra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
Thankyou for that info. I'll start with cleaning the linkage and making sure it's not sticking and go from there. I will also keep in mind the info about wiper motor brands.

84GMCSierra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
There was a video somewhere [here?] on how to drill and re-grease the transmissions.
SirRobynO posted it in January this year

Attachments

• IMG_4608.JPG
    IMG_4608.JPG
    199.1 KB · Views: 61

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad