Windshield wiper and washer problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dtbnz

Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have a wiper switch in my 1982 K10 which is on the dashboard. To operate you slide switch to the right once for intermittern wiper operation (on the switch you can rotate for how much delay the wipers work), then over again for fast and faster operation. Problem I have is when I operate it the washer comes on all the time and squirts water constantly on the windshield and will stays on and will empty the bottle. Before I start pulling the dash out to get at the switch and maybe the pump. Anyone had this problem and how was it fixed. Would like to keep original type switch. Thanks in advance.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
I have had this issue with my 80 Suburban as well. For me, the problem is in cold weather ( a relative term, I know) which is defined as say below 60F.

I think it has to do with the solenoid that yiu can see on top of the arm visible with the washer pump cover removed ( the plastic cover).

Spraying that with electrical cleaner helped, but did not solve it.

A LMC dash switch made no difference, so I would not duplicate my error.

None of this solves the issue for you, but hopefully it helps you to not waste any time or dollars.

And, hopefully smarter people will follow my reply.

:)

Best of luck!

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
I'd find the wiring diagram and see where there is common power or potential for a component to fail that would power them both at the same time. maybe it goes through a control module that is bad, or maybe it is all on the wiper motor for those years and the motor is bad? I'm only familiar with the later years with the switch on the turn signal stalk.

dtbnz

Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Found out the problem was a spring missing (don’t know where is went) in the motor that held the ratchet down when wiper operated. As it was missing instead of it going one revolution and switching off, the washer just kept on going. Fitted a spring I had and it works fine now. It’s not always electrical and that’s where I was looking. Then after staring at the working for a while, I thought there is a tag there for a spring. Sure enough that’s what problem was. Happy now. Thanks everyone.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Found out the problem was a spring missing (don’t know where is went) in the motor that held the ratchet down when wiper operated. As it was missing instead of it going one revolution and switching off, the washer just kept on going. Fitted a spring I had and it works fine now. It’s not always electrical and that’s where I was looking. Then after staring at the working for a while, I thought there is a tag there for a spring. Sure enough that’s what problem was. Happy now. Thanks everyone.
If you can send me a pic of that spring I would like to see it. I suspect my issue is mechanical and that spring is there, but maybe it contracts too much in the cold.:think:

dtbnz

Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
See picture the spring to the upper right was the one missing and this pulls the ratchet into the rotating mechanism

Attachments

• IMG_8863.jpeg
    IMG_8863.jpeg
    144.2 KB · Views: 42

dtbnz

Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size