What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I have been dealing with a minor leak at the top radiator hose since I bought The Truck. Was pretty sure there was a leak on the other side as well. I KNEW I should not mess with it...

I messed with it. Found the top nozzle deformed and flattened. While gently working it back into a round opening I could see that the radiator was flexing waaaay too much at the base of that nozzle.

I went from a minor leak that never put any liquid on the ground to I NEED A NEW RADIATOR RIGHT NOW.

Friends, take a look at these pics and see what y'all think. I decided to order a new radiator, no point in fighting this old garbage.

You must be registered for see images attach

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
@Redfish if it's original, take it to a radiator shop and let them fix it if their prices are the same as here (guessing max $75).

2nd attempt, find a dowel to round that out correctly with a hammer. Then sweat it with solder, and pressure test it with air, use ur imagination for fittings etc. Sweating copper is easy, not that i've done it on a radiator, but I'd try before getting a plastic tank.

In a nutshell, if you can get it fixed for 125% of a plastic tank newer radiator, get it fixed. I'd expect fixing the areas, pressure testing, and painting for that cost....along with the other side in question. Basically a "new" radiator minus the fins being straightened.

Last edited:

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Yup she ready. @Camar068 good advice. I had to put a cheap aluminum unit in, but kept the original to have rebuilt later. I just did the heater core, brass OE style replacement too.
saw that regarding the heater core. About 7 years ago I had to replace mine and was surprised the replacement was copper. But then again, an aluminum one wouldn't be bad provided there isn't any plastic.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Did something entirely new in my history with any square:

Oil change with 5 water 30.

Yeah, I have topped off with it, but never used it for a SBC. SuperTech semi synthetic- we will see how it gets along in the high volume oil pump. Oh, I used that gently used oil filter I have been saving, too.

:anitoof:

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
@Camar068 @Soundmound @nvrenuf I really appreciate your advice. I admit you guys surprised me, I didn't expect y'all to advise keeping and rebuilding the original. While I don't really like the plastic tanks, all modern vehicles have them and they seem to hold up just fine. So I wasn't entirely unhappy...

After reading what you guys said this is what I did and what I am going to do.
1. I needed a new radiator Right Now. So I bought one and installed it today.
2.My old radiator looks really, really bad. But I am going to keep it and have it rebuilt if possible. We have a really, really good local shop and hopefully they can revive it for me. I hope to have it stored away and ready to go back in when/if I need it.

So now I have a new radiator that is not leaking, has no restriction in the tubes and doesn't look out of place under the hood. This truck is leaving in 10 days to go to Cruisin The Coast and it has to be reliable. I am good for now and after I get home I can look into getting my old radiator rebuilt.

Ajax19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ajax
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
Added rear deck lights to the head ache rack was able to use a switch already wired from it's fire truck days you can also see how I fixed my fan switch haha

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230919-190122.png
    Screenshot_20230919-190122.png
    608.2 KB · Views: 44
  • Screenshot_20230919-190604.png
    Screenshot_20230919-190604.png
    540.4 KB · Views: 40

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
Been poundin away on the crew cab whilst my brother preps and paints the rest of the Jimmy frame for me. Changed the forever leaking gear box input seals finally. Then moved back and started the fuel system replacement. All of the lines arrived, figured i'd be dumb not to pull the sending unit while the bed was off. Good thing too; they were junk.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Somewhere around 12A.M. I lowered my fuel pressure, damnit,days ago I was messing with the regulator didn't realize I'd set the pressure too high. Amazing how fuel pressure changes the drivability.

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Drove The '87 about 20 miles with the new radiator. Last night found a substantial puddle of anti-freeze under the passenger front. It may be coming from the bottom hose...but it doesn't look like it. :mad:

I will be digging into this issue this evening after work. Tomorrow morning I will be bringing the original radiator to a local shop to see if they can revive it.

Shouldn't be this difficult to keep the coolant INSIDE the radiator.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Drove The '87 about 20 miles with the new radiator. Last night found a substantial puddle of anti-freeze under the passenger front. It may be coming from the bottom hose...but it doesn't look like it. :mad:

I will be digging into this issue this evening after work. Tomorrow morning I will be bringing the original radiator to a local shop to see if they can revive it.

My plastic tanks haven't lasted much more than a year. I have two, 3 or 4 cores, and one 2 core to get rebuilt.

ChuckN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size

That’s one of the things I’m sad about- we had a really good radiator shop here that knew how to rebuild them, but they went under, probably a sign of the times. Most people order a replacement from a website. I get that it’s becoming a lost art, but I really miss having that option, and they did a great job restoring the old radiator on the 3100.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
504SquareBody