What have you done to your square lately??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finkaire

Finkaire
Reaction score
First Name
Loren
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado c10
Engine Size
Thanks, fittings too large
Just ordered a Modine copper, new on EBay. Local radiator shop wanted $800 to recore the original. I believe the Modine to be of OE quality, now if it only fits!

Last edited:

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Lots of little nitpicking things. New PCV valve, cleaning... One thing that has bothered me since I bought The Truck has been the rust and faded black paint on the rear bumper, the hitch and the ball mount. So I unbolted the hitch, grabbed an old ball mount, got a wire wheel on my drill and went to work. A little rattle can flat black, a little masking tape and suddenly the rear bumper, hitch and ball mount don't bother me anymore. I dug around and found the least used 2 inch ball in my collection and decided it was just shiny enough to complete the look.

Trying to get The Old Truck ready for Cruisin the Coast.

You must be registered for see images attach

Copymutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Wrapping up a full rear brakes restoration.
New chews, all hardware, cylinders. Sand blasted the backing plates. Even hard faced & trued up the worn slide spots on the backing plates. Lubed all slides, pivots, adjuster.

AZ Highlander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15 (aka V1500)
Engine Size
350 (5.7L)
nice work @Copymutt !
I did similarly this weekend.
Got the drums painted too.
Brakes wouldn’t bleed out back. No fluid to the rear hose either. I checked the proportioning valve on the frame rail up front with a test light. Sure enough, grounded, which means it isn’t letting fluid to the rear lines. Tried removing the switch, but broke it. What now? New brass valve? Which one for the 1987 1/2 ton 4x4? PV2?

Attachments

• IMG_5979.jpeg
    IMG_5979.jpeg
    133.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_5982.jpeg
    IMG_5982.jpeg
    281.2 KB · Views: 29

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L
Brakes wouldn’t bleed out back. No fluid to the rear hose either. I checked the proportioning valve on the frame rail up front with a test light. Sure enough, grounded, which means it isn’t letting fluid to the rear lines. Tried removing the switch, but broke it. What now? New brass valve? Which one for the 1987 1/2 ton 4x4? PV2?

The combination valve does not prevent fluid from going to either circuit. The switch also has nothing to do with it. It only activates the warning light. Since you have no pressure on the rear circuit it stands to reason that the light is activated. Unless the valve is a ball of rot you've either got an obstruction or the master isn't bled correctly.

You may be able to buy just the switch, although it depends on what valve you have.

AZ Highlander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15 (aka V1500)
Engine Size
350 (5.7L)
The combination valve does not prevent fluid from going to either circuit. The switch also has nothing to do with it. It only activates the warning light. Since you have no pressure on the rear circuit it stands to reason that the light is activated. Unless the valve is a ball of rot you've either got an obstruction or the master isn't bled correctly.

You may be able to buy just the switch, although it depends on what valve you have.
Based on what I've read, the valve shuts off the lines that are low on pressure. Is that not correct?
Here is a thread that discusses the brass brake valve and the problems/solutions I am attempting:

Thanks for the reply Ox.

Ajax19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ajax
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
I went through that on my truck a few weeks ago it was the valve bleed the front a few times and mash on the pedal I heard a audible click from the valve and had fluid to the rear again (I had a leaky wheel cylinder)

Ajax19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ajax
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
Based on what I've read, the valve shuts off the lines that are low on pressure. Is that not correct?
Here is a thread that discusses the brass brake valve and the problems/solutions I am attempting:

Thanks for the reply Ox.
Correct low fluid/leaking the valve shuts off either front or rear

AZ Highlander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15 (aka V1500)
Engine Size
350 (5.7L)
I went through that on my truck a few weeks ago it was the valve bleed the front a few times and mash on the pedal I heard a audible click from the valve and had fluid to the rear again (I had a leaky wheel cylinder)
Thanks Ajax. I had tried that a couple times. Plenty of fluid coming out the driver's front bleeder when I mashed the pedal with just that bleeder open. Engine running. Didn't hear a click though. Might be old junk stuck somewhere, maybe in the valve? These brakes were seriously neglected. Only the driver's front caliper rubber was still intact. Both rear cylinders were flaking rubber on one side. The passenger front caliper was seized on the rotor, half the rubber around the piston was missing. have replaced nearly everything on the brake system. Seems like the valve is next in line! LOL

Ajax19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ajax
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
Thanks Ajax. I had tried that a couple times. Plenty of fluid coming out the driver's front bleeder when I mashed the pedal with just that bleeder open. Engine running. Didn't hear a click though. Might be old junk stuck somewhere, maybe in the valve? These brakes were seriously neglected. Only the driver's front caliper rubber was still intact. Both rear cylinders were flaking rubber on one side. The passenger front caliper was seized on the rotor, half the rubber around the piston was missing. have replaced nearly everything on the brake system. Seems like the valve is next in line! LOL
Try smacking it with a mallet or dead blow

Blue Ox

Turning Diesel Fuel Into Fun
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
MCMLXXXV
Truck Model
K20HD
Engine Size
6.2L

Thanks for the reply Ox.

Never in the unfortunate multitude of brake failures I've had on GM vehicles has that valve "shut off" anything. If it did you wouldn't get that spongy pedal and half of the master emptying itself. All it does is turn on the warning light.

If the system is that neglected it is possible that the assembly is plugged with rust. You can take the back end of the valve (the rear proportioning side) and see how cruddy it is in there. You could also loosen the line to the rear brakes and see if you get fluid out of the valve at that point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cartunesguy