TOW HOOKS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
Your decode looks good.

https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/do...its/Chevrolet-Trucks/1979-Chevrolet-Truck.pdf

No V76 means someone added the hooks after the fact. Your truck was built in Oshawa; Model number should be "CC20903" (there's no "3" in front of it).

I don't see "8E7" in my literature, although that configuration (number, alpha, number) means it is an "SEO" or "Specialty Equipment Option" (that is, above and beyond a regular production option, like for fleet or commercial use).

K

Last edited:

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I have it decoded and there is nothing listed there.

You must be registered for see images attach
by chance, how big is your primary battery tray and where was it located? or do you not know? I ask because you have a HD battery option and was curious if htat meant a bigger tray or was just a denser, spendier battery.
@Keith Seymore maybe you know?

also never saw a headlamp buzzer option. i need one of those, i will be the one forgetting to turn headlamps off once i use my square on the road more often

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
by chance, how big is your primary battery tray and where was it located? or do you not know? I ask because you have a HD battery option and was curious if htat meant a bigger tray or was just a denser, spendier battery.

also never saw a headlamp buzzer option. i need one of those, i will be the one forgetting to turn headlamps off once i use my square on the road more often

I put one on my 74 after killing the battery 2 or 3 times by leaving my headlights on. You can get one from LMS for pretty cheap. It's just a piezo buzzer that you hook one wire to the headlight circuit fuse and the other to ignition. Its diode protected to only run one way. That way if you have power on both fuses you get no buzzer. If the ignition is hot and headlights not, still no buzzer. Headlight hot but no power to ignition lets the power flow through the buzzer and it sounds.

If you switch the wires it will go off when ignition is on and headlights off instead... which is obviously undesired. It's a super simple install.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl

On my 80, I have a second battery and the updated headlight harness with relays. I wired them to the aux battery instead of the primary, so even if I leave the headlights on it only kills the aux battery and I can still start it and drive away.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size

When we got the truck it had been reworked to only have the one battery in it.
The tray we have is crap and been rebuilt with some diamond plate from a buddies house.
So I don't have much to go on there.

For some reason the cool little warning gizmo was removed as well.
@Maxwellvis found one and installed it again.
Works like a champ.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
Your decode looks good.

https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/do...its/Chevrolet-Trucks/1979-Chevrolet-Truck.pdf

No V76 means someone added the hooks after the fact. Your truck was built in Oshawa; Model number should be "CC20903" (there's no "3" in front of it).

I don't see "8E7" in my literature, although that configuration (number, alpha, number) means it is an "SEO" or "Specialty Equipment Option" (that is, above and beyond a regular production option, like for fleet or commercial use).

K

Damn you are good.
I did accidentally put a 3 in there when I made that chart.

Good information on the SEO that I could not find in all of my Googling.
I used the GM heritage center and a few other places around the net to fill in all the cells.

Curt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-30
Engine Size
The aux battery tray I put in my pickup is the exact same (size)as the main tray,just backwards.It was off a 85 3/4 ton suburban with a 454.That suburban is super heavy duty.Dana 70 rear,TH-475,heavy duty cooling.It would be a great project,but I have one already.

Now that I have dual batteries,ready for a winch!

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
On my 80, I have a second battery and the updated headlight harness with relays. I wired them to the aux battery instead of the primary, so even if I leave the headlights on it only kills the aux battery and I can still start it and drive away.
thats a good idea. will have to consider when the time comes lol

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
The aux battery tray I put in my pickup is the exact same (size)as the main tray,just backwards.It was off a 85 3/4 ton suburban with a 454.That suburban is super heavy duty.Dana 70 rear,TH-475,heavy duty cooling.It would be a great project,but I have one already.

Now that I have dual batteries,ready for a winch!

oohh i like her

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Do you have your SPID?
Towing Device is the name on the SPID
Towing Device can also be a receiver hitch. I think I've seen that more often where Towing Device was a receiver hitch on the back of the vehicle.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
I wonder what year that changed?

My '88 C10 Suburban has them, with the option listed on the SPID too.

*sorry, R1500 Suburban. I'll never get used to that.

Lol, you're lucky it's not an '87. On more than one occasion I have called a parts store saying I need parts for an '87 V10 Suburban and the ******* on the other line says "are you sure it's an '87? They didn't offer a V10 in that year, it's either diesel or a regular 5.7, but both of those are V8s". Sometimes I simply hang up, other times I make the guy feel like a dipshit before hanging up (depends on my mood). But yeah I agree it's really weird. I still call it a K10 in general discussion with people

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
thats a good idea. will have to consider when the time comes lol
One thing to mention with that is it only works if you have the aux battery wired so that it is isolated from the other battery with the ignition off. Some people wire them so they are always connected, which doesn’t give you any protection with the ignition off so both batteries would die regardless of which one had the drain on it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg