TOW HOOKS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Powerhouse Ranch

3G Connoisseur
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
1980 & 1988
Truck Model
C25 & V15
Engine Size
454 & 350
If you don’t have Facebook, this is a screenshot of one of the pics on his listing.
You must be registered for see images attach

hmmmmmmm interesting

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
GM refers to them as RPO V76 "Towing Devices" - ie " two front towing hooks"

FWIW

https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/do...its/Chevrolet-Trucks/1978-Chevrolet-Truck.pdf
thank god you posted that keith, i was reading another post and hotrod was reaming a guy for calling them tow hooks

@HotRodPC im not sure if you rememeber that thread but keith got you beat buddy

also thanks i just checked the SPID and it has V76, towing device. i didnt know what that was, thanks!

Last edited:

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
That's the only solid piece on your truck...:signs8:
technically its on my 78 which has a cab, 2 doors(only one with a latch and window), a 90s stepside bed laying on it, a th350 and a np203, some wagon wheels with 25 year old AT tires and thats it. No fenders no engine no hood no front no bed.

Does have bucket seats tho

So its one of few solid pieces, but beings the truck hasnt been on the road since the late 90s and came from the south, its only surface rust. so yay?

one day.

my 1980 is the driving and running one with the optional floorboard and optional bed stuff :)

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Interesting that they were only available on 4x4

I wonder what year that changed?

My '88 C10 Suburban has them, with the option listed on the SPID too.

*sorry, R1500 Suburban. I'll never get used to that.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I wonder what year that changed?

My '88 C10 Suburban has them, with the option listed on the SPID too.

*sorry, R1500 Suburban. I'll never get used to that.

Probably different year-to-year just like a bunch of this stuff. Like all trucks getting NP205 in 1980....

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
thank god you posted that keith, i was reading another post and hotrod was remeaning a guy for calling them tow hooks

@HotRodPC im not sure if you rememeber that thread but keith got you beat buddy

also thanks i just checked the SPID and it has V76, towing device. i didnt know what that was, thanks!
Not sure what I'd ream someone about. Unless it was calling them Tow Hooks. I don't much give 2 ***** what GM calls them because they are NOT tow hooks. In the tow world noone would ever tow using those. In our world we'd call them what they are, they'd be used for recovery hence, Recovery Hooks.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Not sure what I'd ream someone about. Unless it was calling them Tow Hooks. I don't much give 2 ***** what GM calls them because they are NOT tow hooks. In the tow world noone would ever tow using those. In our world we'd call them what they are, they'd be used for recovery hence, Recovery Hooks.

He said "remeaning" not reamimg. Not sure what it means but, it sounds like a tactic my wife uses.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
this is why we love you

@SquareRoot i also fixed my typo lol

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
I wonder if those were added after the truck left the factory to mine then.
We have those big meaty buggers under the front of my C20...

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350

Do you have your SPID?
Towing Device is the name on the SPID

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl

I think she meant demeaning...

"Towing" is defined as "Towing is coupling two or more objects together so that they may be pulled by a designated power source or sources. The towing source may be a motorized land vehicle, vessel, animal, or human, and the load being anything that can be pulled."

So technically your "Recovery" operation is towing. They call them "Tow Hooks" because they are specifically meant for hooking that vehicle to another so that it can be pulled... which is the very definition of towing. "Recovery" requires that the vehicle be stuck or in an "other than normal situation" first, which is not the only designed use for those hooks.

So if you pull up to a vehicle that is just sitting on the road broken with hooks on the front, drop your ramp on the tow truck, hook up the winch and pull it up onto the ramp... you are towing the vehicle onto the ramp, not "recovering" it. If the vehicle is stuck down a ditch off the road and you did the same thing, you are towing AND recovering it. So either way, they are tow hooks and only in specific instances would they be recovery hooks.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl

The 79' vehicle information package lists it as K-10-20-30 only also. I would bet that even if the factory didn't ship them that way, the dealers would put them on if requested. There isn't any difference in the front frame that would keep them from just bolting them on.

https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/do...its/Chevrolet-Trucks/1979-Chevrolet-Truck.pdf Page 35

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
As an aside - I installed tow hooks on the assembly line... for one day.

Flint Assembly, Line 2 (Blazer and Suburban), some time around 1979-ish; It was part of my engineering student training.

Immediately after body drop bumpers were picked by the operator on the RH side of the line and thrown across the pit into my waiting left hand. The bumper was installed and tow hooks added as required in that same assembly operation.

I also managed to drop one on my UAW trainer's foot. He wasn't very happy.

K

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevew7704