to 305 or not to 305?? that's my question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ole blue 85

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
c 10 silverado
Engine Size
305ci
still working out the bugs on ole blue. probably gonna get rebuilt q jet and thinking about headers and x pipe... it's my understanding that most headers that fit a 305 will fit a 350 383 and 400sb. wondering if it is worth it to beef up the 305 or should i just run it as is while i build something else. any thoughts, opinions or recommendations?:patriot:

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Upgrading a 305, you'll still have a 305. I would just rock it a while and get a 350 when you can. And yes smallblock headers fit all smallblocks.

ole blue 85

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
c 10 silverado
Engine Size
305ci
with that in mind, a good set of headers and exhaust would still be benificial for the 305 in the mean time and still compliment a cammed 350 or 383 stroker. on to the next question. being a long time h-d mech and h-d perfromance guy, the longer the exhaust typically the more torque versus shorter for more top end horsepower. so longtube headers for more torque??? btw any questions yall have about your HARLEYS are more than welcome. maintenance, performance or otherwise. thanks again for all the help with ole blue.

REMEMBER... WITHOUT ONE IN THE CHAMBER IT'S ONLY A HAMMER!!!

Guardian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
c 10
Engine Size
I agree with C4, leave the 305 while you build the 350 or 383 that you want. The long tube headers will give you the low end that you are looking for, and the exhaust will let it breath easier on the top end.

Hey C4, I used to same the same thing about headers fitting all small blocks until now. I have the gm aluminum heads on mine and because of the d port exhaust they will leak with normal small block headers. I had to get the headers for the d port heads, they didn't cost any more and they stopped leaking.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Hey C4, I used to same the same thing about headers fitting all small blocks until now. I have the gm aluminum heads on mine and because of the d port exhaust they will leak with normal small block headers. I had to get the headers for the d port heads, they didn't cost any more and they stopped leaking.
Good to know, duely noted. :waytogo:

with that in mind, a good set of headers and exhaust would still be benificial for the 305 in the mean time and still compliment a cammed 350 or 383 stroker. on to the next question. being a long time h-d mech and h-d perfromance guy, the longer the exhaust typically the more torque versus shorter for more top end horsepower. so longtube headers for more torque??? btw any questions yall have about your HARLEYS are more than welcome. maintenance, performance or otherwise. thanks again for all the help with ole blue.

REMEMBER... WITHOUT ONE IN THE CHAMBER IT'S ONLY A HAMMER!!!
Pipe diameter also plays into this. You can have an exhaust that exits in front of the rear tires in 2" and have higher torque than an exhaust that exits all the way out the back in 2.5" pipe. 2.25" is a good balance, and from what I've read an X-pipe gets higher HP gains than an H-pipe. But some instances an X-pipe would be difficult or nearly impossible to graft into your system, like if it is 4wd and you have the transfer case 12" from the end of your collectors. It just all depends on what you're building, if it's a lopey, cammed up 383 you may want 2.5", no sense in limiting top end. But a mild 350 you may want 2.25", MAYBE 2" for improved torque. I have 2" and hate them, came close to hacking it all out and cobbling together 2.5" on my own lol.

Guardian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
c 10
Engine Size
Yeah the size will have an impact on the performance. I would not run any bigger than 2.5 on a small block because the torque and horsepower bands suffer with larger pipes if you aren't running a massive amount of horsepower.

I have the x pipe but it is only a 2 wd. it could be use in a 4wd if the drive line allows. The x pipe generally is located about 12 inches behind the tailshaft of the tranny. The location of the driveline and amount of travel used will determine if the x pipe can be used.

ole blue 85

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
c 10 silverado
Engine Size
305ci
Probably 2.25 for now with an x pipe. thanks for the d-port info and all the help!!

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
There is enough room on a 4x4 to run duals down the drivers side and install an x pipe, cant use an x pipe if you run it down both sides.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
There is enough room on a 4x4 to run duals down the drivers side and install an x pipe, cant use an x pipe if you run it down both sides.

You can do an H-pipe though, and no need for a low-hanging y-pipe that gets in the way of the tranny pan or inspection cover.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dancuvelier