Tired of the screaming small block!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Omg lol haha! Wow man a 203 transfer is focking CAST IRON...300 pounds? Later the same thing changed to aluminum casing and switched it's name to 208.

Lol way too heavy for one guy...hahaha :D

Maybe some of your buddies should sign up over here, it seems lots have square body trucks!

I know there are some of us here with much G body love! I've had this SS since high school.

Yup, still got it and the cam is similar lol!

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Clutch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 Silverado crew cab dually
Engine Size
L82 350
Omg lol haha! Wow man a 203 transfer is focking CAST IRON...300 pounds? Later the same thing changed to aluminum casing and switched it's name to 208.

Lol way too heavy for one guy...hahaha :D

Maybe some of your buddies should sign up over here, it seems lots have square body trucks!

I know there are some of us here with much G body love! I've had this SS since high school.

Yup, still got it and the cam is similar lol!

You must be registered for see images attach
It has a 205 now I guess you read the hole thread? I did the hole truck without help now I'm at the point I could use some but I dought that's going to happen

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Naw brother, I only made it to page two because sunshine. Promise i'll finish reading and help you what I can OR point you to the right character.
Deal? We'll git it all fixed up bruddah, you're in the right place - but I have EMT class in the morning and i'm ready to rack. Long day tomorrow. I won't reply for ..... 20 hours?

:headbang:

Last edited:

Clutch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
L82 350
How much timing should I have in this thing? Right now it's 10° advance at idle with the vacuum advance disconnected ahosho I take some out and turn up the idle? Is'nt sbc suposupp to be only like 4°? I just don't remember. My sbo runs at 16° with 15" of vacuum. BTW I don't have my vacuum guage I left it in PA under the hood of my olds

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Dude.

I got way lost man I didn't mean to leave you hangin? My life is the suck right now. I can't believe nobody else has input...whatever.

I KEEP trying to read the thread but i'm not having much luck sorting through the seeming TON of unrelated ******** in that SEVENTY FOUR pages.
So I came back here and see your reply. :rolleyes:
I made it to page FIVE after THREE TRIES and then my head exploded.

I am NEVER signing up over there lol.
More for you!

I was running my Blazer at 10° and found that successful ignition advance lay in the canister coupled very closely to OCTANE - AND - I set the base idle with a Vacuum gauge....might wanna pick up another one, they are hella cheap!
Don't control idle via ignition timing- adjust the carburetor.

I am pretty sure that stock timing is either 0 or 4 degrees advanced but those numbers aren't good for anything :imo:

Lots of people get away with 12 but using 305 heads on a 350 I couldn't pull it off running pump 91 at 1200 feet above sea level.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Clutch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
L82 350
Dude.

I got way lost man I didn't mean to leave you hangin? My life is the suck right now. I can't believe nobody else has input...whatever.

I KEEP trying to read the thread but i'm not having much luck sorting through the seeming TON of unrelated ******** in that SEVENTY FOUR pages.
So I came back her and see your reply. :rolleyes:
I made it to page FIVE after THREE TRIES and then my head exploded.

I am NEVER signing up over there lol.
More for you!

I was running my Blazer at 10° and found that successful ignition advance lay in the canister coupled very closely to OCTANE - AND - I set the base idle with a Vacuum gauge....might wanna pick up another one, they are hella cheap!
Don't control idle via ignition timing- adjust the carbureator .

I am pretty sure that stock timing is either 0 or 4 degrees advanced but those numbers aren't good for anything :imo:

Lots of people get away with 12 but using 305 heads on a 350 I couldn't pull it off running pump 91 at 1200 feet above sea level.

Hope this helps!
Thank you I appreciate you getting back to me I'm still plugging away after work every day last night's tuning turned into a blown hose. I'm just glad it didn't happen on the road

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Okay then @Clutch .

Ima see it through man, it's me and you! I'm glad my little meager replies have something to offer? I'll help you what I can brother.

Where are we at now?

Clutch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
L82 350
Lats night I finally got achance to put the grill, parking lights, and headlight bezels. Yesterday I had to go pick up my daughter from school at the nurses office and on my was back to work the truck died well not completely almost like it lost ignition for a moment. It's not the first time it's done that and I've looked for bad connections and grounds every time can a coil or module go bad intermittently? Also still have the stumble and it seems to be tapping on the left bank so ill probably get tuning and ajusting valves agine tonight

Clutch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
L82 350
Lats night I finally got achance to put the grill, parking lights, and headlight bezels. Yesterday I had to go pick up my daughter from school at the nurses office and on my was back to work the truck died well not completely almost like it lost ignition for a moment. It's not the first time it's done that and I've looked for bad connections and grounds every time can a coil or module go bad intermittently? Also still have the stumble and it seems to be tapping on the left bank so ill probably get tuning and ajusting valves agine tonight
Oh and it dosedoe scream as much with this cam in it lol

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Yes. The ignition module is known to start acting stupid prior to leaving the driver stranded. No sense to it at all. In later trucks that is the only part that will cut BOTH spark AND fuel- as a point of interest.:rolleyes:
They're about $45 I THINK, for a quality part. Hotrod aftermarket options are available.
Since you mentioned driving around your child, i'd get on that.

Oh and it dosedoe scream as much with this cam in it lol

Lolwut

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
If i'm building a keeper that I like I am FAR QUICKER to swap in an entire new distributor for $99.
Really man, you might as well.

I am in love with these!

(I have bought three.)

Hi! I found this on eBay and thought you might like it! Check it out now! http://r.ebay.com/58UdEv

Think it over...over and over.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
My experience with the ignition module is that one minute it’ll be running like a champ, and the next it’ll be coasting like a champ. Try to start it back up when it cools off, and it’ll run for 1-3 seconds, and it’s dead. I like the idea of a new distributor since you’re in a build frame of mind. If it has the original Delco-Remy distributor, I’d rebuild it. If not, they sell them online. That’s the only one I’d go with. My experience with GM coils is that they’re pretty hardy, but if you test them with a multimeter, they seem to develop dead spots where the high energy is supposed to exit. Even then they still work. You G Body guys are lucky, as are F and Corvette guys. I’m a de facto B Body guy, but there’s nothing for them.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
New distributors beat the snot out of wondering about a 30 or 40 year old pick up coil . GOOD LUCK diagnosing THAT!
Booking the labor rates involved to actually replace a pick up coil, you are MILES ahead simply buying an entire distributor. That's the way of the world these days...all you can do is adapt.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I've bought several of the MSD-branded Street Fire distributors and they have all been great. They cost more now than they used to, but the reliability is good.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Or you can really cheap out and get one of the China Pro comp distributors for $43 complete with ICM, cap and rotor ready to drop in. I've heard of some higher rpm guys bending the shafts but past that I've had 2 and didn't have any issues. Of course I don't drive my squares daily either so as far as longevity I couldn't say. As Rusty said though, for the purpose of diagnosis, you're not going to get hurt replacing the whole distributor. You already know there's tons of age on the bushings and the pick up coil that gets overlooked so often and can cause radical or unstable timing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Racing-Che...793965005?epid=2289772141&hash=item25e746c5cd

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesardelacadena