Tired of the screaming small block!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Clutch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 Silverado crew cab dually
Engine Size
L82 350
This isn't something I'm going to jump right on but I've been giving it a lot of thought lately. The L-82 Corvette small block just isn't right for a k30 dually loaded with tools especially since I think it was probably built for a bracket car and the cam is WAY to big and wants a loose converter so I'm flogging it all day long to keep the rpm's up so it makes power

I do have a 454 in my shed that came out of my old dump truck but it's hurting if I remember correctly it was a 88 v3500 yea another crew cab ( I like them) tbi of course if I put it in this truck I'll go carbureted because I didn't save harness and computer from the dump here's the thing tho it's been out in the shed in pieces about 12 years so it's at the very minimal in need of a rering kit the bottom end was not bad when it came apart someone had all ready been there it was numbered and I believe the crank was .10 under but the truck was an oil burner big time and the heads were trashed I still have them but it had 5 tuliped valves and 2 burned intake valves my question is if it takes a hone and polish job how much is it going to cost me to put this pile back together and would I be better off just getting a different set of used heads. I've never built a BBC before or had one of my own I've been threw some BBO tho yea I'm one of those weird guys that still likes Oldsmobiles

Anyway I'd like some input on this 454 I would like to do it as cheap and efficiently as possible with jus some mild upgrades like an RV Towing cam it needs to move a lot of weight and maybe be better on gas than the L-82 in it that's being at about 6k and getting 6mpg!

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
This isn't something I'm going to jump right on but I've been giving it a lot of thought lately. The L-82 Corvette small block just isn't right for a k30 dually loaded with tools especially since I think it was probably built for a bracket car and the cam is WAY to big and wants a loose converter so I'm flogging it all day long to keep the rpm's up so it makes power

I do have a 454 in my shed that came out of my old dump truck but it's hurting if I remember correctly it was a 88 v3500 yea another crew cab ( I like them) tbi of course if I put it in this truck I'll go carbureted because I didn't save harness and computer from the dump here's the thing tho it's been out in the shed in pieces about 12 years so it's at the very minimal in need of a rering kit the bottom end was not bad when it came apart someone had all ready been there it was numbered and I believe the crank was .10 under but the truck was an oil burner big time and the heads were trashed I still have them but it had 5 tuliped valves and 2 burned intake valves my question is if it takes a hone and polish job how much is it going to cost me to put this pile back together and would I be better off just getting a different set of used heads. I've never built a BBC before or had one of my own I've been threw some BBO tho yea I'm one of those weird guys that still likes Oldsmobiles

Anyway I'd like some input on this 454 I would like to do it as cheap and efficiently as possible with jus some mild upgrades like an RV Towing cam it needs to move a lot of weight and maybe be better on gas than the L-82 in it that's being at about 6k and getting 6mpg!
Don’t waste money on the peanut ports. Find a set of big ovals. Big block stuff has come down a lot in price. Thank you LS swap sheep I mean guys. Lol

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I agree on the heads. And I agree about the LS stuff. I think you're on the right track with a carb setuo. It'd be too much trouble to go find what you need to make the TBI work, plus it'd probably be necessary to get some upgrades/repairs done on the unit itself and burn a new PROM. I'm gonna offer my usual recommendation of a Quadrajet, which is the most logical choice to me since power AND economy are mentioned concerns, and I'm sure you can score an Edelbrock 2161 intake for cheap(er). That's just a regular performer with no EGR. Carbs made between 1973-90 are 800 CFM, which is used at the discretion of the motor so there's no risk of overcarbing, but if you could find one off a motorhome, that would probably be your best bet since those are usually low miles and have minimal throttle wear. Of course, if it sat for any period of more than a year, it's gonna need a rebuild because ethanol.

Clutch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
L82 350
I agree on the heads. And I agree about the LS stuff. I think you're on the right track with a carb setuo. It'd be too much trouble to go find what you need to make the TBI work, plus it'd probably be necessary to get some upgrades/repairs done on the unit itself and burn a new PROM. I'm gonna offer my usual recommendation of a Quadrajet, which is the most logical choice to me since power AND economy are mentioned concerns, and I'm sure you can score an Edelbrock 2161 intake for cheap(er). That's just a regular performer with no EGR. Carbs made between 1973-90 are 800 CFM, which is used at the discretion of the motor so there's no risk of overcarbing, but if you could find one off a motorhome, that would probably be your best bet since those are usually low miles and have minimal throttle wear. Of course, if it sat for any period of more than a year, it's gonna need a rebuild because ethanol.
That figures I could have had a hole 1986 motor home a few months back that had a running 40k 454 but I had no place to bring it and no way to move it after I cut out the motor so I didn't get it

I thought you wanted the small ports for a truck motor? Well if you could recommend some casting numbers I should look for that would be great

Thanks

Clutch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
L82 350
You must be registered for see images attach
The 454 I have came from this rust bucket

And this is what's in my truck now

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
And again as some of us are saying here daily... deck the absolute **** out of it if you want better than 6mpg.
And if the crank looks compromised buy a stroker crank and kit and go big. You will end up spending too much regardless but at least you will understand the addiction of BBC torque. Ain't nothing like it...

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I thought you wanted the small ports for a truck motor?
Truck or car don't matter it's what you're gonna do with it, if you're gonna tow or haul heavy loads you need all the bottom end torque you can get at low rpm's and the peanut ports were designed just for that purpose, as I mentioned before "efficiency" is key and just about any factory head as cast lacks efficiency, just one look in the ports and it's very evident, lol, it's amazing what a good valve job and a clean up will do to those heads for torque.. But what do I know, lmao..

Clutch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
L82 350
And again as some of us are saying here daily... deck the absolute **** out of it if you want better than 6mpg.
And if the crank looks compromised buy a stroker crank and kit and go big. You will end up spending too much regardless but at least you will understand the addiction of BBC torque. Ain't nothing like it...
Oh I'm definitely familiar with big cube torque I've got an 87 Cutlass with a 455 olds and an M-21 it brakes more that it drives lol and over the years I've driven many square bodies with a BBC that's why I want one

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Truck or car don't matter it's what you're gonna do with it, if you're gonna tow or haul heavy loads you need all the bottom end torque you can get at low rpm's and the peanut ports were designed just for that purpose, as I mentioned before "efficiency" is key and just about any factory head as cast lacks efficiency, just one look in the ports and it's very evident, lol, it's amazing what a good valve job and a clean up will do to those heads for torque.. But what do I know, lmao..
My point was he was saying his heads are gacked why dump a bunch of cash in them. If he wants peanuts guys all but give them away.

Clutch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
L82 350
I get it an engin builder said it best to me when I was young. He said it's not how much fuel you put in it it's how much of it gets burned when it's in there

Last edited:

Clutch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
L82 350
My point was he was saying his heads are gacked why dump a bunch of cash in them. If he wants peanuts guys all but give them away.
Wow I got confused I thought he was talking to me? I'm so not good at this forum stuff lol

Clutch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
L82 350
stump pullers rock! A stock low rpm 1972 w-30 455 crate replacement olds can literally rip metal apart in a g-body

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
stump pullers rock! A stock low rpm 1972 w-30 455 crate replacement olds can literally rip metal apart in a g-body
I had a 78 Calais that had a 260 turd and I dropped in a 455 they will definitely let you know where the weak parts are in the rear suspension. Lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K10_Travis