Tired of the screaming small block!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Clutch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 Silverado crew cab dually
Engine Size
L82 350
Don’t forget to get some fagotty diamond cuts on them black wheels.
It's got clear reverse lights I'm such a good electrician the gas gauge and oil pressure gauge don't work so an LS would never run lol I'm a guy running a 1961 tailgate on an 02 bed on an 80 truck I had a home computer but I couldn't find Cole for it so now I just use my phone

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
I think if I was going to go that route I would just use one of my spare olds 455s but the hole idea was a 454 would be cheaper to go threw than a455 plus my bell housing is Chevy so I'd need to build a trans to I just don't know much about BBC parts when I finde a set of heads for it I'll post the casting #s here before I buy them and see if the guys here think that they will work for me

My 2 cents eric , I would look for , 063 , 215 , 290 , early , closed chamber big oval heads. I have put together three 454's for my trucks with flat tops and these heads and this combo makes for a torque monster , (you have to put hardened seats in them).
I always went for the flat top small chamber , (quench) , set up over the dome , big chamber set up , (better burn , flame travel etc..)
If you can find these heads , do the hardened seats and get a good three angle valve job with flat top pistons at zero deck with a .041 head gasket , (or pistons .020 down with a steel shim gasket .020) , you will be at 9 to 9.25 to 1 compression and run a cam with a duration ,(218 to 225) range , you will have a torque monster on pump gas.

A few years ago we hooked up a travel trailer to my short bed to and headed to the redding drags , (160 miles or so away). Got there on test and tune day and there was quite a few trucks there so we said , (lets race our tow rig).

My truck , 77 short bed , k-10 , 454 , turbo 400 , 6 inch lift , 8 lug , 4.11 gears , 35 inch bfgs.

Motor , hyper flat top pistons , (0 deck) , 290 heads , (with mild porting) , rpm intake , 750 holley carb , 268h comp cam , etc....

Did a huge burnout for the crowd , in front of the burnout box , staged up and popped off a 14.6 in the quarter mile on 35 inch rubber.Raced my truck three more times all in the high 14's.

Great low budget combo for towing or having fun at the strip.

My crew cab has this same set up in it now with more head work and a 270h comp cam and it runs really hard as well. Hope this helps your search.

You must be registered for see images attach

vkh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Var
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
X2 on the closed chamber heads on a 454. I'm essentially running the combo he described and I love mine, admittedly it's really the only combo I've ever had other than stock. I'm running 390 heads and a 218/228 cam with a performer 2.0 and headers.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Finally some cam specs used with towing.. I have been looking for this info and all can seem to find is people saying use a low duration low lift RV cam for low end torque and the stock TBI engine proves this does not work.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
X2 on the closed chamber heads on a 454. I'm essentially running the combo he described and I love mine, admittedly it's really the only combo I've ever had other than stock. I'm running 390 heads and a 218/228 cam with a performer 2.0 and headers.
Did you open that 2.0 up or is it like out of the box?

Clutch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 Silverado crew cab dually
Engine Size
L82 350
My 2 cents eric , I would look for , 063 , 215 , 290 , early , closed chamber big oval heads. I have put together three 454's for my trucks with flat tops and these heads and this combo makes for a torque monster , (you have to put hardened seats in them).
I always went for the flat top small chamber , (quench) , set up over the dome , big chamber set up , (better burn , flame travel etc..)
If you can find these heads , do the hardened seats and get a good three angle valve job with flat top pistons at zero deck with a .041 head gasket , (or pistons .020 down with a steel shim gasket .020) , you will be at 9 to 9.25 to 1 compression and run a cam with a duration ,(218 to 225) range , you will have a torque monster on pump gas.

A few years ago we hooked up a travel trailer to my short bed to and headed to the redding drags , (160 miles or so away). Got there on test and tune day and there was quite a few trucks there so we said , (lets race our tow rig).

My truck , 77 short bed , k-10 , 454 , turbo 400 , 6 inch lift , 8 lug , 4.11 gears , 35 inch bfgs.

Motor , hyper flat top pistons , (0 deck) , 290 heads , (with mild porting) , rpm intake , 750 holley carb , 268h comp cam , etc....

Did a huge burnout for the crowd , in front of the burnout box , staged up and popped off a 14.6 in the quarter mile on 35 inch rubber.Raced my truck three more times all in the high 14's.

Great low budget combo for towing or having fun at the strip.

My crew cab has this same set up in it now with more head work and a 270h comp cam and it runs really hard as well. Hope this helps your search.

You must be registered for see images attach
Thanks that's the kind of information I'm looking for. 063 215 290 are the last 3 digits in casting numbers correct?
That crew cab is freekin awesome by the way!

vkh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Var
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
Did you open that 2.0 up or is it like out of the box?

I opened it up to match the big ovals. After doing it once with a file and dremel bits in the screw gun I'm definitely buying a die grinder next time.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I opened it up to match the big ovals. After doing it once with a file and dremel bits in the screw gun I'm definitely buying a die grinder next time.
I have diegrinders and I have about 8hrs in mine, with port matching and blending. See in some instances you can polish a turd. Lol

vkh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Var
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
I have diegrinders and I have about 8hrs in mine, with port matching and blending. See in some instances you can polish a turd. Lol

I'll be revisiting mine when I have the time. And I should practice porting on my old peanuts some time, build up my confidence to work my current heads.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I'll be revisiting mine when I have the time. And I should practice porting on my old peanuts some time, build up my confidence to work my current heads.
You do know peanuts don’t have enough meat to get to big oval. From the wise they look like it, but once you flip them over you will see what I’m talking about. A good practice head though.

vkh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Var
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500
Engine Size
You do know peanuts don’t have enough meat to get to big oval. From the wise they look like it, but once you flip them over you will see what I’m talking about. A good practice head though.

Oh I know, it would be purely to practice porting. I have no intention of ever using them, one of them is probably shot from eating a piston anyway. I would apply what I learned to my large ovals after I built some confidence.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M37M35