This is probably a bad idea, but I'm too cheap to pay for a tow.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

peats

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
72k5, 81c10 short step, 83k10 short fleet, 03 SSR. 25 chevy doodlebug
Truck Model
k5 c10 k10 SSR doodlebug
Engine Size
406 360 6.2 5.3 171
I'd put an ad on Craigslist to find someone willing to trailer it cheaper. IMHO.

justhorns

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Tow it..NO problem.
What will the trailer rental cost? If the trailer is pricey, make life simple and call the tow truck guy.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
There’s no tongue weight on a dolly so as long as your bumper isn’t missing many bolts, lol, it will tow the burb ok. You’re babying it there anyway. Not an issue because you’re smart.
Plenty of folks couldn’t get the burb there with a F250. I wouldn’t recommend them towing it with old yeller !

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
There’s no tongue weight on a dolly so as long as your bumper isn’t missing many bolts, lol, it will tow the burb ok. You’re babying it there anyway. Not an issue because you’re smart.
Plenty of folks couldn’t get the burb there with a F250. I wouldn’t recommend them towing it with old yeller !
This There is no tongue weight on a dolly.

You aught to see some of the poor frame extensions welded on to frames for RV's and they area expected to handle tow dollies or tow bars. Some of those things are nothing more than channel steel butt welded to the factory frames.

I'm pretty darn overly cautious where it comes to towing and I would do it with that combination for 20 miles. A long freeway trip, probably not, if that were the case I'd want 2nd gear fixed and an actual frame hitch. But for 20 miles, I really doubt you'll have any issues. If the dolly has brakes then I'd be even less concerned.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Funny towing story.

My first year of college (1991) my roommates girlfriend decided to pay a surprise visit. She was driving a 78 Grsnd Prix with the might 301 engine. She called out apartment (this was a Wednesday about 4:30 in the afternoon) made some small talk, and oh by the way, her car stopped running, could we come pick her up at a rest stop? We drove 45 minutes to get her, looked the car over, the engine is locked up tight as a drum. We leave the car, go back to the apartment. On the drive we make out plans to get her and the car home.

We are broke college kids, with all the ambition that comes with that age. I tell my buddy to get a tow strap, we will pull the driveshaft, and take every country road we can. No big deal, it’s only a 185 miles!!!

Next day, we meet at the rest stop. My buddy didn’t buy a tow strap, he bought a rachet strap!!! At least he had the state of mind to buy the 15 ft one! Too bad that didn’t turn out to be nearly enough. More on that later.

My buddy and his girlfriend are riding in the tow vehicle (a 86 firebird) I take the first tour of duty in the Pontiac. Immediately, I notice the speedometer is working, meaning the driveshaft is still in place. My buddy didn’t feel like crawling under the car. Can’t say I really blame him, it was 15 degrees and had been snowing.

The plan was to switch drivers every 20 miles. In the cold, with no heat, that’s about all we could handle before the fingers stopped working. Unfortunately, the first stop came after about 10 minutes. My buddy failed to consider the hot exhaust aimed directly at the strap. It quickly melted. We tied it back together, which unfortunately made the 15 foot strap a couple feet shorter.

It took 6 hours to drive the 185 miles home. I ended up buying that Grand Prix and swapped in a 425 olds and 350 trans. Had a lot of fun with that car.

I’m betting your tow goes MUCH smoother!!

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
@Matt69olds I made an awesome sleeper out of 1978 grand prix sj. Out came the 301 in went a bored decked and squared 350 chevy with a ton of cam, a single plane,rear gears and 15x7 pontiac wheels that looked just like the sj 14x6s. So many people got there a$$ handed to them by a grandma car with a vinyl roof. Hey @Paladin this one had a holley.

Last edited:

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
The 425 ran really well, but the 2.41 peg leg rearend hurt big time. That car was a money maker at the Friday night test and tune/grudge races. I could run the entire 1/8 mile in first gear. And with the lousy gear and tall tires, tire spin wasn’t an issue. As long as you cut a decent light, the car ran the same round after round.

What finally did the car in was rearend failure. On the street, it would absolutely destroy the right rear tire. The car would smoke the tire as long as you stayed in the gas. Unfortunately, the one wheel peel also destroyed the 7.5 rear end. It shot pieces of the spider gear thru the rear cover. This was long before cell phone cameras were common, so I don’t have pictures of the shrapnel. The engine was also REALLY tired, I have no idea how many miles were on it, I did nothing to the engine other than a timing chain. It still had the factory steel shim head gaskets, so I don’t think anyone had ever been in it.

I scrapped the car, and sold the engine/trans to a guy wanting to build something stout for a 77 442.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Gee, I'm trying to think of a good tow story. Not sure I have one. I guess my best tow strap story, like @Matt69olds I was young, probably early 20's. I had an Oldsmobile that caught fire. That's the best part of the story actually, I had not had it long, it was summer with no A/C and I didn't realize the rubber line the PO installed from the fuel pump to carb was in bad shape it leaked and caught fire. I was driving along in a thin tank top and jeans. No fire extinguisher. I actually did not realize it was on fire until I lifted the hood, it had quit running, I lifted the hood and there it was. I was several miles out of town and had no choice but to take my pant off to smother the fire. After that I had to walk into town in my underwear. No surprise no one would picked me up. I then had to call a friend from a payphone (as this was pre-cellphones) and wait for him to come get me. The tow part. He had a 72 C30 with no hitch, so he hooked up his end of the tow strap and I hooked up mine, we had less than 20 miles to go. He was terrible at driving a tow. He'd hit the brakes then the gas, it was just awful, no surprise we broke his strap 1/2 way home. I tied it off and then we switched positions, with him in my car and me in his truck. He was just as terrible in the car, but at least being in the pull truck I had control over the go.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
^^^ So how many times have you seen me warn people about plumbing g there carbs with rubber line? And you're just now telling this story!!!!!

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
^^^ So how many times have you seen me warn people about plumbing g there carbs with rubber line? And you're just now telling this story!!!!!
I've told the fire story and walking into town at least a couple times, but not the tow part. Sorry if I've missed you with that... Feel free to quote it, or tag me and I'll repost it as needed for a warning. We gotta get that kind of stuff out there to warn people about that don't know. Yea, it's bad news if you don't at least keep a really close eye on it. On my truck right now I've got metal line leaving the pump, then when it gets up by the valve cover the PO cut it to add a fuel filter when he stuck an edelbrock carb on it. It's not what I would have done, (I would have never ditched the Q-jet) but the edelbrock is in good health so I just make sure to replace the rubber EVERY time I change the filter. And yes the metal line is flared for the rubber and clamp to hold to, the rubber lines are short and touch nothing, so that all helps.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I am with a tow strap it and move on.

As for getting things on a trailer, I actually managed to get a 91 burb on to a uhaul trailer with one ratchet strap when I had not much choice. Took forever and had to hammer the strap back together twice.
Come along is much easier. But broken one of those too

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
Oh youd hate my corvette, haha.
Rubber from front to back.

My gmc, i ran rubber line from the pump to the carb, but i wrapped it with aluminum foil, covered that in armor casing and electrical tape, and have it carefully routed behind the alternator and goes up on the valve cover and into the carb

Vetal4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Truck Year
Truck Model
V30 Crew Cab
Engine Size
In high school a buddy of mine bought an 85 Parisienne that had been sitting for a while for $50. He had about 1.5hrs of southeastern Ohio hills to get it home.....transmission wasn't up to the task, I think he had 1st but that was about it. His brother was tailing him in is ragged out (92 or 93) explorer, and began pushing him up to reasonable speeds up through the hills. Well, after about an hour of this, they finally make it to the county seat, and the largest in-town area they had to go through on the way home. Since they had been touching bumpers most of the way, they decided to put on a little stage act. They would drive at the low speed the Pontiac was capable of until they pulled up alongside someone walking down the sidewalk, then bro would drive up and rear end the Pontiac, both brothers would get out and scream insults at each other, then get back in their cars just as fast as they got out and drive away. I think they did thus 3 or 4 times before they made it all the way through town. Thats about the best towing story I have....

rusted nuts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeffrey
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
4cly diesel
If You ever Git over Pa way I have a 3 speed Ya could have for $25.oo

hoagster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1973, 2000
Truck Model
K10, 1500
Engine Size
5.3l
I know from following your post that you can't work on you vehicles were you live. personally I would pull the trans were she sits. remove stuff a little bit at a time. when shes ready to hit the deck drop it and take it to work.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg