This is probably a bad idea, but I'm too cheap to pay for a tow.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjester6000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
So are thinking of trailering it or in a dolly? My byrb wouldn't fit on the dolly we were using I had to trailer mine. My 75 wouldn't fit the dolly or the trailer had to pull it on a tow bar. I noticed your comment about Kansas City. Are you close I've still got the tow bar for my 75k. Nevermind,that was stupid I have no way of knowing if my tow bar would work on your rig.

I've looked at several tow dollies on the internet widths from 75 inches thru 80.5 inches. You need to measure what ever dolly you plan on using. And I've seen damage done by too tight of fit in a turn ,so I make very wide turns.
I'm in Denver Colorado, so you can't help me. I am wanting to use a dolly for this precision operation since 'Ol Yeller doesn't really have the balls to tow both a trailer and truck at the same time.

It really struggled when I was doing that joke.

85K304SPD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
How are you going to get it on the tow dolley by yourself? Find somebody with a trailer and offer them a 100 dollar bill. Maybe somebody from the school.

jjester6000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
How are you going to get it on the tow dolley by yourself? Find somebody with a trailer and offer them a 100 dollar bill. Maybe somebody from the school.
That's a good question, the truck doesn't move whatsoever. Maybe I could jack it up and set it on the Dolly.

Also, I've already tried that route, and nobody in my class has a trailer big enough for the Burb. That's why I'm probably going to rent a U-Haul Dolly.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I've pulled tons of them onto a tow dolly with a come along. Way better than trying to jack them up and put the dolly under them,that way is a huge pita. Seriously, thinking about it your going to have to rent a dolly,buy a come along,drive 2 and from uhaul twice,I'd tow it on a rope,or a crane strap,not a chain. Communicate between cars with your cell phones. If you can pull on the highway, even better.no stop and go. It's only scary until you start doing it then it's like why was I worried.

Last edited:

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I don't know when receiver hitches were invented but I've seen lots of photos from the 40's - 70's of trucks hauling very large, very heavy loads on bumper. No, I wouldn't go 100's of miles, on a freeway or freeway speeds. I've rope/chain towed cars/ trucks/ and even a motorcycle. Stick to quiet back roads, lightest time of day or weekend, a trusted friend, back-up chain/ strap and I'd go for it.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I don't stick to backroads to much stop and go. I do pick a time when traffic is light,I do use the hazards and a cardboard in tow sign.If I have a choice I pull on the highway, you have to go faster but you don't have to stop and go which sucks on a rope.First time I did that was at my buddy Joe's suggestion,I wanted to take back roads 50 miles,I was nervous and said what if try to pass us etc. He said if we're going fast enough it won't be a problem. Easy Peasy.

jjester6000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
I've pulled tons of them onto a tow dolly with a come along. Way better than trying to jack them up and put the dolly under them,that way is a huge pita. Seriously, thinking about it your going to have to rent a dolly,buy a come along,drive 2 and from uhaul twice,I'd tow it on a rope,or a crane strap,not a chain. Communicate between cars with your cell phones. If you can pull on the highway, even better.no stop and go. It's only scary until you start doing it then it's like why was I worried.
If I were back in rural Illinois I would do the chain thing (hell I once flat towed my buddies Ford Ranger 30 miles like that on back roads). My problem is that there aren't any backroads here in Denver. My destination is right in the center of a metropolitan area, so I'd get ticketed out the ass for towing with a chain no matter what route I took.

Also the dolly is only $45 a day, and I could probably mooch a come along off a buddy.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
If it’s only 20 miles, get a tow strap, a competent buddy, and flat tow it. Since the suburban runs, no need to pull the driveshaft. You could leave the engine running, meaning you have power steering, power breaks, and heat/defrost.

Tow it either late at night or early in the morning (whenever traffic is light) and stay away from roads with lots of stops.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Or use a tow bar. I towed 2 Dodge Ramchargers with my old Suburban 350 miles each up to my mountain cabin with one.

Originalthor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Here's a funny safe my a$$ story. 03 duramax hauling 14 foot enclosed full of tools going to work out of town. 30 km from my destination one of my injectors kick the bucket which puts the other 3 dead in the water. So now I got a very unhappy 4 cylinder duramax. Its minus 40 Celsius out and I'm screwed.

Hood up on my truck. Buddy rolls up in his 09ish v6 chevy 4x4 and goes whats up. Explain him my situation and he goes you got a straps. I sure do. We rachet strap up the trucks and he dragged me into to town.

Moral of the story is if there's a will there's a way. Whether v6 chevy inline 6 chevy got that power or a v8 305. May not be breaking speed records but we get it done.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Throwing this up for anybody else following or contemplating this. I won't do this with a chain tak8ng slack out is too violent. To much risk for damage or injury. If a rope breaks or comes off nbd

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Throwing this up for anybody else following or contemplating this. I won't do this with a chain tak8ng slack out is too violent. To much risk for damage or injury. If a rope breaks or comes off nbd
Agreed on the chains coming off violently. Do not agree that it's not a big deal for a rope or strap to come off. You have that rope come off the vehicle doing the towing and it can wrap around a tire or axle on the tow vehicle and be a big frickin deal. The chain snapping is the bigger threat and much easier to have happen by accident. You can avoid the rope coming off by just not being an idiot.

AyWoSch Motors

The Parts Guy
Reaction score
First Name
Ayden
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500 Sierra
Engine Size
350ci V8
Here's a funny safe my a$$ story. 03 duramax hauling 14 foot enclosed full of tools going to work out of town. 30 km from my destination one of my injectors kick the bucket which puts the other 3 dead in the water. So now I got a very unhappy 4 cylinder duramax. Its minus 40 Celsius out and I'm screwed.

Hood up on my truck. Buddy rolls up in his 09ish v6 chevy 4x4 and goes whats up. Explain him my situation and he goes you got a straps. I sure do. We rachet strap up the trucks and he dragged me into to town.

Moral of the story is if there's a will there's a way. Whether v6 chevy inline 6 chevy got that power or a v8 305. May not be breaking speed records but we get it done.
I towed one of my duece and half with our 94 yukon once. Dead in the water, 4 flat tires, 14k pounds, but once it was rolling, not too bad.
It wast too far, but still, it did it and i was impressed. 4 low and nice grippy tires helps too.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds

Tow strap is the only way to go.

I’ll emphasize COMPETENT assistant. I tell anyone who flat ties the guy in the front NEVER touched the brakes unless absolutely necessary, the guy behind does all the braking. That way you never get slack in the strap. And if the person in front does have to brake, don’t take off until all the slack is out of the strap.

Cell phones make this so much easier than when I first learned to do this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j250trxr