Getting ready to order a bunch of stuff but looking for a cheaper source

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
C10 long bed (Frankenstein truck)
Engine Size
The car is not here, but I think it has 21 circuits. Looks similar to this:

http://www.ezwiring.com/store/viewitem.php?productid=4
You must be registered for see images

He bought it several years ago, so it may not be a current model.

That looks like the same kit...

There should be a small bag (or maybe it wasn't in a bag, now that I think of it) in there with two short wires coiled up together... One is about 3-4' long, a purple wire for the neutral safety switch, and another black one, small gauge (I'm guessing about #16?) about a foot or less long with a ring lug sized for the batt lug at the starter pre crimped to it.. That's the fusible link.. In the picture you posted, the wires I'm talking about are the small rolled up purple and black wires sitting by itself in the loop of the large coil furthest to thr right on the bottom

You just cut the purple wire in the harness that goes to the start lug on the starter to length, and then splice the fusible link to the end and land it on the starter batt lug..

There is a package there with a longer heavier gauge (#8? ) black wire, and that is the alternator bypass in case you are installing an alternator that is greater than 80A output...

Last edited:

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
Engine Size
I have a couple junction blocks like this, one with 5/16" stud, one with 3/8".

You must be registered for see images attach

Also have one similar to this with 5 mounting points:
You must be registered for see images attach

Neither of those is a fusible link though.. or maybe the one's on the bottom have a link in between the two main lugs? Can't really see in the picture..

Last edited:

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Neither of those is a fusible link though.. or maybe the one's on the bottom have a link in between the two main lugs? Can't really see in the picture..
Yes, I understand the concept and sizing of fusible links, and have installed two in this system. If some came with the kit, they were long gone by the time I started installing it. But again, my buddy bought it many years ago, so who knows if something got lost?

And yes, I found the alternator bypass wire in the kit, but I used a red wire instead that was left over from a previous project. I like to use red for wires that have 12 volts all the time. I use brown (as does the kit) to feed fuses that are hot when the ignition switch is in the IGN (or RUN) position.

BTW, wherever I said "distribution block" above, I should have said "junction block."

R8rPhan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Truck Year
1973 (1979?)
Truck Model
Engine Size
:headbang:

Latest posts