Stock Seatbelt Retractor Weight loose?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NCBurb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
6.2L
Good afternoon. This is my 87 Suburban if it matters, passenger front seatbelt.
After working fine since I got it, today a passenger tried to pull out the seatbelt and it was stuck, wouldn't budge. This was the lap retractor, shoulder side pulled fine.
So I popped the cover, and it looks like the little lead weight has come off the lever for the lap section. I can see on the shoulder roller where it is attached, looks like it's just glued on there? Is that it? Looks like a little rubber gasket that should attach to the metal lever?
I hope i'm making sense, anybody familiar with this system, and what I need to do to fix it, before I just start gluing stuff?
All advice welcome, thanks,

AKguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 Crew Cab Silverado
Engine Size
Out of my 81 rear. Front is same.

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

NCBurb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
6.2L
Thanks AK guy, guess I should have posted a pic. Mine seems to be different from yours.
take a look where I circled it in red, seems like there's a spring that's sticking out, holding the bar out. Like when you put in a kids' car seat, you pull the seatbelt out all the way, and it clicks back in, I'm thinking it's maybe stuck in that mode? I don't want to just start jabbing stuff...anybody know how that releases? Or where the latch is supposed to stay? Thanks,
View media item 9654

AKguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 Crew Cab Silverado
Engine Size
Good luck!

gmbellew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
glen
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 1500
Engine Size
take off the driver side cover and compare notes

NCBurb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
6.2L
take off the driver side cover and compare notes
well wish I would have seen that beforehand! That probably would have saved some time wiggling and jiggling.
FWIW I did finally wiggle the right thing, and a little plastic piece attached to a teeny metal spring clicked up, and now it works fine again. Probably just yanked it too hard or something. For a seatbelt being such a strong piece, the little plastic odds n ends and tiny metal springs that control the retractors are awfully small and fragile looking.
So anyway all's well that ends well.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@AKguy,

My drivers side seat belt won't go back in. I mean the inertial reel won't retract the belt back rolled up like it's supposed to be. I've taken the cover off but can't figure out what's wrong with it or what to do to it. Do you know? I have a '74 C10 with just lap belts. '75 was when they came out with the shoulder and lap belts so I would think either the reel is broken and I need another one, but how to get the color of mine? If mine can be fixed I'd rather do that.

AKguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 Crew Cab Silverado
Engine Size
You have the same setup on the passenger side? You have a picture?

NCBurb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
6.2L
@AKguy,

My drivers side seat belt won't go back in. I mean the inertial reel won't retract the belt back rolled up like it's supposed to be. I've taken the cover off but can't figure out what's wrong with it or what to do to it. Do you know? I have a '74 C10 with just lap belts. '75 was when they came out with the shoulder and lap belts so I would think either the reel is broken and I need another one, but how to get the color of mine? If mine can be fixed I'd rather do that.
Best I can suggest is just GENTLY wiggling things back and forth, see if you can see anything that looks out of place or is sticking out. Big question, did it use to work fine? If so, then probably like mine something came loose or something. Now if it hasn't worked in years, then who knows what may be stuck, rusted, have a dead bug keeping it stuck, etc...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T3rraBeara