Rotten Egg Smell From Exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DuallyGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC C15 1/2 Ton Stepside
Engine Size
5.7L 4BBL 350 V8
I tried to search for a similar thread but couldn't find one. Forgive me if there is one out there. I've been going through my truck pretty consistently for the past year. I'm aware I have a 454 TBI, but I still think that my fuel is being used up just a little bit faster than it should. I also have this rotten egg smell coming from my exhaust. So I'm guessing that maybe unused fuel is getting by? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

P.S. Can someone also recommend a good donut gasket at the exhaust manifold flange? The guy I took it to put these cheesy flimsy donuts on and twice they've blown. Thanks :)

87sierra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 2500
Engine Size
5.7L 350 TBI
rotten egg smell means there is to much un-burnt gas getting to the catalytic converter

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Do a compression check, look at the plugs. Maybe got some high sulfer gas too...dunnonhow that would happen in Cali though.
Usually happens when you floor it.

87sierra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 2500
Engine Size
5.7L 350 TBI
it could be possible that the exhaust leak is causing a lean mixture in the exhaust system and the o2 sensor is trying to fix it by adding more fuel

DuallyGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC C15 1/2 Ton Stepside
Engine Size
5.7L 4BBL 350 V8
The smell's always been there. I bought the truck just over a year ago. Even when the exhaust was ok it still had that bad smell. I just assumed it was some bad gas or something. But it's never gone away.

DuallyGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC C15 1/2 Ton Stepside
Engine Size
5.7L 4BBL 350 V8
There's no smoke exiting the exhaust pipe or anything odd as far as the engines performance. What could be the likely cause?

87sierra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 2500
Engine Size
5.7L 350 TBI
another is to look at the spray pattern of the injectors they should be a fine cone spray also a cheap possible fix is to install a fuel pressure regulator which uses a heavier spring making the fuel pressure higher this is what I have been told and I did this to my truck but I don't seem much of a difference

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
another is to look at the spray pattern of the injectors they should be a fine cone spray also a cheap possible fix is to install a fuel pressure regulator which uses a heavier spring making the fuel pressure higher this is what I have been told and I did this to my truck but I don't seem much of a difference

Yup, and a good way to check thte pattern, is to hook up antiming light to the coil wire, and point the light at the injectors.
No No on the heavier regulator spring, either replace, or have the injectors sonically cleaned.

87sierra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 2500
Engine Size
5.7L 350 TBI
okay thanks for the info about not using the heavier spring and when I compared my old spring to the new one they looked identical so I think it was the same tension

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7

Attachments

• Pages from X8736_1987_GMC_Light_Duty_Truck_Fuel_and_Emissions_Including_Driveability[1].jpg
    Pages from X8736_1987_GMC_Light_Duty_Truck_Fuel_and_Emissions_Including_Driveability[1].jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 131

DuallyGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC C15 1/2 Ton Stepside
Engine Size
5.7L 4BBL 350 V8
Thanks for that info and for the paperwork. According to that page, I have noticed that my truck idles high when it gets hot. Not too high but def higher than it should. I've searched high and low for a vac leak. Maybe I just don't know how to check. The fuel injectors seem to spray just fine. I just inspected them last weekend. I wish you guys were my neighbors. LOL Come over and check out my truck.

eastcoastmat

Reaction score
First Name
mathew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10 Scottsdale
Engine Size
Ive always thought that a rotten egg smell was a plugged or over heated catalytic converter.

1986K5Wa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
My exhaust smells like alcohol, after being drove a bit. Is it to lean?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jp wessels