Failed CO emissions-high CO and HC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Funny you mention Marianna Butts, since that I grew up. My parents have lived there since '97. And 15 years ago emissions laws here were a lot more lax. I could have just tagged this thing with collectors tags and been done with it.
That's funny you call it that. I always jokingly called it "Marianna's butt". Sorry to hear they're going nuts with the emissions stuff, that sounds like a pain.

86burban

Reaction score
First Name
Marcus Buchanan
Truck Year
Truck Model
Crew cab C30
Engine Size
Retard the timing and that will lower HC as it gives the engine more time to burn the fuel.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Actually, I completely agree but I can guarantee you there are people here that don't.
Political discussions are no longer allowed so I will just leave it at that.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Oh that's okay, I am more than happy to do illegal things, and I hope others follow suit so these people in charge realize how much of a joke they are. Plus I fail to see how helping someone pass a silly outdated emissions law on a vehicle that should be exempt in the first place would be illegal, if that's wrong then I don't want to be right lol. Heck, I saw someone talk about getting a PO bozx in a town they didn't live in to avoid having to go through emissions, that is more or less "fraud" if you wanna get technical, way worse than what I suggested and I didn't hear anyone crying about that, calm down man. Should I also be afraid to mention spark plug defoulers to get around having cats? I just thought that's what like 90% of people did. Jaywalking is illegal too, but I'm not afaid about that either. I'm not like telling people to go incite violence or something, oh no fudging an emissions test so you don't fail, sorry I forgot this was a public forum I'm now shaking in my boots lol. Dude I would literally have that conversation in the lobby of a police department and not worry about it. It might be illegal on paper but honestly nobody cares one bit. Hah, I also grossly exceed the speed limit from time to time, where I'm guessing you probably slam the brakes when you see that speed sign drop from 65 to 55 on the highway. Should I just quit the internet now or wait till they cart me off in cuffs?
Actually I completely agree but I can guarantee you there are people who don't.
Political discussions are no longer allowed here so I will just leave it at that

TurdTaco64

Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
That's funny you call it that. I always jokingly called it "Marianna's butt". Sorry to hear they're going nuts with the emissions stuff, that sounds like a pain.
I didn't even notice that until. Stupid auto correct. We were the 7th house in that neighborhood, built new and my mom still lives there. Man it sure has changed a lot since then.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Actually I completely agree but I can guarantee you there are people who don't.
Political discussions are no longer allowed here so I will just leave it at that
Hah, sorry man I was in a mood last night. I get you

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
I didn't even notice that until. Stupid auto correct. We were the 7th house in that neighborhood, built new and my mom still lives there. Man it sure has changed a lot since then.
Haha, that's even better.

Yeah dude, when Dad moved there it was the very edge of town, but still growing outward. Now there a few neighborhoods past him even. He lives right near the butte itself, when I stay there I always make a point to walk up it every morning. He's on Foothills right near Rossum. I haven't been out there in 6-7 years but he tells me it's getting quite built up further west, and stuff going in across 1st st where it used to be nothing but dirt mounds and prairie dogs. No longer on the outskirts, but becoming more of part of the town itself. Hah then again people from church tell him to quit complaining because they used to graze cattle where he lives now lol

TurdTaco64

Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Haha, that's even better.

Yeah dude, when Dad moved there it was the very edge of town, but still growing outward. Now there a few neighborhoods past him even. He lives right near the butte itself, when I stay there I always make a point to walk up it every morning. He's on Foothills right near Rossum. I haven't been out there in 6-7 years but he tells me it's getting quite built up further west, and stuff going in across 1st st where it used to be nothing but dirt mounds and prairie dogs. No longer on the outskirts, but becoming more of part of the town itself. Hah then again people from church tell him to quit complaining because they used to graze cattle where he lives now lol
Yep I know right where that is! When I was a young warthog we'd go right where his house is to shoot off model rockets!

On topic, I grabbed a temp gun on my way home today and will check cat temps tonight or tomorrow. Also gonna pull some plugs tonight to see what they look like, pull the hoses off the air pump to see if it's working, and probably retard the timing enough to keep it drive able until the next time I test it.

TurdTaco64

Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
So I checked the air pump and it's pushing air fine. I also checked temps at the cat and it's significantly hotter downstream so it appears to to be in decent condition. Then I pulled 1-4 plugs.
You must be registered for see images attach

The order of the pictures is 2-4-1-3. I don't know a lot about reading plugs but they look a bit rich to me? Someone please tell me if I'm wrong and I won't be surprised. Also based on the amount of junk caked on they are rather old. The wires didn't really have any distinct click when putting them back on so maybe they're not getting the best contact possible. Either way the ignition components will be getting replaced very soon. I think I'll mess with idle mix and retarding timing tomorrow after some more reading. I was really hoping the cat might be hollowed out or something easy like that.

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Plugs don't look all that bad. May be the 3rd one is glazed. That could cause a misfire. Straighten out the ignition. Checking/ adjusting the carb would be the next move. Make sure both advances work and timing is set to specs.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Wow, even New Jersey doesn't require emission tests or safety inspections for cars and trucks over 25 years old. They get special QQQ license plates, and registration needs to be renewed every 3 years. However, the state does limit driving to car shows, parades, etc. But my son drove his truck to Home Depot and around town on weekends for almost 10 years, and was never challenged by a cop. Same is true here in Texas, except license renewal is every 5 years. Are you sure Colorado doesn't have something similar?

Last edited:

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Replace the plugs, take the truck for a long hard drive. Make sure the engine is hot and worked a bit. Maybe that will clean up the combustion chambers and exhaust enough for it to pass.

Finkaire

Finkaire
Reaction score
First Name
Loren
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado c10
Engine Size
The temperature should be like a 100 degrees hotter leaving the catalytic converter than going in if it’s working

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size

Autolite plugs, that's the problem! Sorry, seriously, like @89burban stated, retard the timing some. Distributor could be have been recurved for more advance. The plug pictured has some oil fouling. As stated before, new plugs, wires cap and rotor will help a lot.

Another trick, change the engine oil before you go. The PCV system pulls the fumes from the crankcase. Clean oil has little or no extra hydrocarbons. This will make a difference if your first test was with old engine oil.

Goldie Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Britt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC K1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Wow, even New Jersey doesn't require emission tests or safety inspections for cars and trucks over 25 years old. They get special QQQ license plates, and registration needs to be renewed every 3 years. However, the state does limit driving to car shows, parades, etc. But my son drove his truck to Home Depot and around town on weekends for almost 10 years, and was never challenged by a cop. Same is true here in Texas, except license renewal is every 5 years. Are you sure Colorado doesn't have something similar?

For TX I assume you are talking about Antique plates.
Goldie wears Classic plates. Safety inspection required every year- a whole 7 bux- and regular yearly tags.

No emmissions test for vehicles over 25 years as of this writing, but Harris County is not meeting 2008 ozone standards so who knows what will happen in the future.

On the Classic plates, no mileage restrictions or where you can drive it restrictions unlike the Antique plates. But, no idea if anyone really monitors any of that.

Just FYI.

:)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BryantRiverRat