Rental trailers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
It says online that you have to have your load inspected at a Uhaul center before traveling. Is this true?

I never had them request this. Usually I had to drive somewhere else to get my load (2-13 hours away).

legopnuematic

Licensed Junk Dealer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Spencer
Truck Year
1971, 1̶9̶7̶4, 1976, 1979,1̶9̶8̶5, 2002
Truck Model
Dart Swinger, Sierra 10, C10 Cheyenne, C10 Big Ten, Silverado 10, Ram 2500
Engine Size
225/6, 350 c.i., 350 c.i., 5.9l Cummins
I flat towed my 79 with my 76. Homemade brackets from 1/4" plate that bolt onto existing bumper bracket holes (3 bolts on each bracket two on side one on top)
You must be registered for see images attach

Got it up to 45mph and didn't give me any issues, even with the 79's alignment being horrible and the first time it moved on a road since 1995. Without any weight on the front end and the cab mounts letting the column bind a little it scrubbed bad in the tight corners but with an engine and weight over the front it should be fine.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
The last time I checked, U-Haul rents two different car hauler trailers, and one is large enough for a long bed pickup. However, when I stopped by to verify they had it, the guy first took me to the small trailer, and had to search the back lot to find the large trailer. I planned to pull the trailer with one of their trucks, so they didn't seem to have any objections.

Bruce

TubeTruck

I'm from Boston. Deal with it.
Reaction score
First Name
Denis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
LQ9
Or go to the local company and tell them a place in county but on the opposite side so it'll take you a while. Once you get it you can do with it what you want.

dvdswan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You could also use the dolly for the just the front tires. Disconnect the driveline from the rear axle and tie it up keeping the yoke in the t/case if that has a slip-yoke, so you don't loose fluid.

75Monza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1980, 1982, 1985
Truck Model
K30, K20, K20
Engine Size
454, 383, 350
Try to find one of these...

This is on facebook marketplace in Yakima for $125. I like these for older rigs with metal bumpers, the clamps hook to the bumper lip with the chains going around the bumper. Use to use one like this to pull my truck around. Only thing is that you need to have the hitch fairly level to the ball and not too much of an angle, so pulling big lift truck with stock lift sucked.

hunters628

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

This is on facebook marketplace in Yakima for $125. I like these for older rigs with metal bumpers, the clamps hook to the bumper lip with the chains going around the bumper. Use to use one like this to pull my truck around. Only thing is that you need to have the hitch fairly level to the ball and not too much of an angle, so pulling big lift truck with stock lift sucked.
Can you pm me the link to that? I don’t have Facebook but I can have my girlfriend do it for me lol

75Monza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1980, 1982, 1985
Truck Model
K30, K20, K20
Engine Size
454, 383, 350
I made up a set of tow lights, just mounted some round trailer lights on 4" magnets, used a 30' 4 wire S.O. cord wired to a basic 4 pin flat trailer light connector. Depending on length of the car I was towing, would wrap excess cord around the wiper arms.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
They do come in handy. I've owned one of those universal type for over 30 years. I paid full price buying it brand new back then it was almost $200. It's paid for itself 10x over and then some. They are not the safest option for sure and I'd stop and check it often, like about every 50 miles or so. It's actually safer on the freeway than it is on surface streets. All the turns tends to move the pads and chains around a bit.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
There's this cheap option too. If I did this option, I'd pull the front bumper and bolt it to the frame horns using the same bolt holes the bumper uses. Otherwise you'd end up drilling holes in the bumper to bolt it on. Pros and Cons and Cons and Pros. I actually like the bolted on idea better than the universal clamps and chains like mine pictured above. I fully intend to get one of these HF type and plan on making my own brackets to fit both my squares. $70 is pretty cheap so you can afford some time and mods to make it safely work and not have to worry about it. I'd juse lock washers with my hardened bolts and nuts. At least Grade 5, prefer Grade 8. https://www.harborfreight.com/5000-lbs-capacity-adjustable-tow-bar-61625.html

hunters628

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
There's this cheap option too. If I did this option, I'd pull the front bumper and bolt it to the frame horns using the same bolt holes the bumper uses. Otherwise you'd end up drilling holes in the bumper to bolt it on. Pros and Cons and Cons and Pros. I actually like the bolted on idea better than the universal clamps and chains like mine pictured above. I fully intend to get one of these HF type and plan on making my own brackets to fit both my squares. $70 is pretty cheap so you can afford some time and mods to make it safely work and not have to worry about it. I'd juse lock washers with my hardened bolts and nuts. At least Grade 5, prefer Grade 8. https://www.harborfreight.com/5000-lbs-capacity-adjustable-tow-bar-61625.html
I think that is what I’m gonna do. I’m gonna run out to my local junk yard and try to make some brackets for it today. I will keep you guys updated!

75Monza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1980, 1982, 1985
Truck Model
K30, K20, K20
Engine Size
454, 383, 350
Here is another option if you have a harbor freight nearby.
https://www.harborfreight.com/5000-lbs-capacity-adjustable-tow-bar-61625.html
Would need to fab an adapter plate for your truck to hook it up, looks like it's made to bolt to frame horns.

It's rated for 5,000 lbs and $70. Probably work fine for your truck as long as you pull carefully.

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

I used to have one of those and it worked great. I pulled a 1 ton Chevy van about 500 miles with it. Unfortunatly I loaned it out and it never came back.:(

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T3rraBeara