Rental trailers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
I rent trailers from my local equipment place. I get a 20'er for 60 bucks a day.

Hatchet54

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Red
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 Sierra Grande
Engine Size
I’ll look into that for sure. Worst case scenario I’ll tell Uhaul I’m pulling my 1971 VW Beetle and drive off with the trailer LoL

So, this is actually exactly what I did back in the day. We needed to a '66 Mustang for a video shoot and rented a trailer from Uhaul. It wasn't a big deal but they were getting weird about it. Lied out of my teeth, haha. Everything worked out fine.
Not trying to sound cocky, but some of these suits at Uhaul places really don't understand anything outside of their books. Just tell them what they want to hear and don't trash the trailer and you'll be good.

hunters628

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Well I got a wild hair today and went and questioned the guy at United rentals about that trailer they have. I specially asked why the online price is different. “Well we can give you that price you just have to ask for it,” I get a $200 discount if I ask??? What kind of mess is that. I proceeded to question him about the width of the trailer. He handed me a tape measure and said “you go look.” The trailer is indeed 7 feet between the fenders but from what I’ve read the hub to hub width of the truck is 69.5 inches. Correct me if I’m wrong there. And I’m pretty sure that means that my full size k10 will indeed fit in a 84 inch space, If I did my math correctly that is. Lol. So as of now that is my plan. Only problem is that the United office is closed Saturday and sunday, the two days I could actually take the trailer and get my truck. So I have to figure that out as far as not getting charged for the whole weekend if i pick it up Friday. Hopefully that won’t turn into an absolute mess. Thanks for all the help.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I rented from a place on Friday and returned Monday as one day rental because they were closed sat/sun. Most places will do that if asked. Or accept drop off on sat.

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The trailer is indeed 7 feet between the fenders but from what I’ve read the hub to hub width of the truck is 69.5 inches.

As long as the truck doesn't have running boards you should be OK. I've had to remove the running boards to get some trucks to fit on a trailer. It usually depends on if the trailer has sides or just fenders, and how high the truck sits / how low the fenders are.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
They do come in handy. I've owned one of those universal type for over 30 years. I paid full price buying it brand new back then it was almost $200. It's paid for itself 10x over and then some. They are not the safest option for sure and I'd stop and check it often, like about every 50 miles or so. It's actually safer on the freeway than it is on surface streets. All the turns tends to move the pads and chains around a bit.

You must be registered for see images attach

I was going to say car dolly or this type of setup. I have towed many a vehicle with one of these, and I too still have mine, and when ever we move from here, you can guarantee one of the truck will be pulling one of the other vehicles. When I moved here the u-haul truck was full front to back, my '65 c20 was full inside the cab and the whole bed too. Removed the driveline, hooked up to the uhaul, and had no issues whatsoever. Bungee the steering wheel so it corrects back to center in both directions after a turn is made, and you're off. You just have to have a steel bumper, but our squares do, so no problemo.

eskimomann209

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Marcus
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Home Depot has big trailers in my area. I have used in if theirs before

hunters628

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I ended up getting that tow bar from face book, the bumper pull type. I paid $80 for it and I think it will work out fine. I’m planning on going to get the truck Saturday so I will let you guys know how it goes!

dcameron787

Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
I just picked up a k5 and it fit on a uhaul. I told the the uhaul guy I was towing a 2wd blazer just in case.

TreverB

Reaction score
First Name
Trever
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
FYI - We used a UHaul to take my sons pickup (K10 Long bed) to college (600 miles), all on the up & up with the UHaul computer. It was their larger trailer pulled by a 1 ton dually. It fit (barely) and the trailer pulled like crap if on the left side of the crown in the road. Pickup had 33's at the time. It will work in a pinch.

You must be registered for see images attach

h3adbang3r14

Reaction score
First Name
markus
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
sbc 400 from 78 k30
Anyone ever pull a truck with a tow bar? That might be my most economical option. A 5k pound tow bar is around $100.
I used a harbor freight special tow bar to haul my 98 k1500 1000 miles beind a Uhaul truck when i moved truck had a lawn mower in the bed and cab loades with parts and tools and had no issie and went through the amokey mountains with it

mrburitto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Cheyenne Camper Special, C30 Crew Cab Dualy
Engine Size
350, 496
Not sure if this is the correct place for this but here I go.
My K10 is located in Raymond Washington, about 220 miles from where I live in Ellensburg. The truck doesn’t run as the engine is locked up solid. I don’t have a trailer so naturally I go looking for a rental.

I went and talked to the local Uhaul center and they said they will not allow a full size truck on any of their trailers and I should talk to Penske because they have bigger trailers.

So I go to the Penske center and they say that they will allow my truck on their trailer but the only way I can use their trailer is if I pull it with a Penske truck and I’m not willing to do that. They send me to United rentals.

United has a 16ft tilt bed double axle trailer rated for up to 7k pounds. Online it says the day price is $50. I go to the United center and they tell me the day price is $250 and that my truck won’t fit between the fenders which is only 7ft. Not wanting to argue and not knowing the exact width of my k10 I left. There is a local rental company in town also so I went to talk to them.

They have a similar trailer to United but it has a wider deck and is actually $50 a day. He asks where I’m taking it, I tell him, he says they don’t allow their stuff to leave the county.

So now here I am, with no clue where to look next or what to do. It seems odd that the full size Uhaul car trailer is only rated for 5200 pounds when it it a full double axle steel trailer. It is also odd that Penske won’t rent out just a trailer. If you guys have any ideas on what to do next please let me know. Thanks

Honestly, I would just have someone go in and get the local trailer for you. Find a town in the farthest corner of your county and tell them thats where you are going.
I normally wouldnt lie to a small business owner (corporations are a very different story :flipthebird:) but this seems like an instance where no one will get hurt and no damage will be done. It is probably a rule for his insurance or for some kind of liability reason. If he doesn't know and is lied to, that takes the blame off of him. Just expect to pay whatever you have to IF something crazy did happen. And maybe leave him a fat tip or something.

h3adbang3r14

Reaction score
First Name
markus
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
sbc 400 from 78 k30
When i mounted my tow bar i bolted a 3x3 piece of angle iron to bottom of my frame rails using exitsting holes and grade 8 3/4 diameter bolts and bolted the tow bar to the angle iron

hunters628

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Well nothing went as planned yesterday. We couldn’t find the hitch for the truck I was going to take, since the truck is set up for gooseneck pulling it didn’t have the bumper pull package installed at the moment. So we went and started unloading a tractor off of my buddy’s gooseneck and blew both rear trailer tires. Of course schwab didn’t have the tires in stock and the other place was closed. Called Uhaul and was going to tell them I was pulling an s10 but of course they didn’t have and trailers in stock. The day went to hell real quick lol. Needless to say I am pissed and will have to try again later on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cheify