Rental trailers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hunters628

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Not sure if this is the correct place for this but here I go.
My K10 is located in Raymond Washington, about 220 miles from where I live in Ellensburg. The truck doesn’t run as the engine is locked up solid. I don’t have a trailer so naturally I go looking for a rental.

I went and talked to the local Uhaul center and they said they will not allow a full size truck on any of their trailers and I should talk to Penske because they have bigger trailers.

So I go to the Penske center and they say that they will allow my truck on their trailer but the only way I can use their trailer is if I pull it with a Penske truck and I’m not willing to do that. They send me to United rentals.

United has a 16ft tilt bed double axle trailer rated for up to 7k pounds. Online it says the day price is $50. I go to the United center and they tell me the day price is $250 and that my truck won’t fit between the fenders which is only 7ft. Not wanting to argue and not knowing the exact width of my k10 I left. There is a local rental company in town also so I went to talk to them.

They have a similar trailer to United but it has a wider deck and is actually $50 a day. He asks where I’m taking it, I tell him, he says they don’t allow their stuff to leave the county.

So now here I am, with no clue where to look next or what to do. It seems odd that the full size Uhaul car trailer is only rated for 5200 pounds when it it a full double axle steel trailer. It is also odd that Penske won’t rent out just a trailer. If you guys have any ideas on what to do next please let me know. Thanks

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Uhauls trailer may only have 3500lb axles on it. So 7k-the weight of the trailer.

I bought my 18’ dovetail car hauler with dual 5k axles used for $750. The fenders weren’t great and the deck is now shot, but I towed several vehicles including my square before the deck got to its current condition. I plan on replacing the wood deck and rewelding the fenders this winter and I’ll still be in it for under $1000.

Worst case scenario, you could buy then resell a similar trailer...

Your K10 is probably a touch over 5000 lbs if it’s a long bed.

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
I had the same issue when I brought my 82 k5 home. Uhaul too small and Penske wants to rent you a trailer with the truck.
I found a local company for $60 a day. They didn't ask where I was going and I didn't volunteer. It was a 2+ hour trip each way. Not sure if they even cared.

hunters628

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Uhauls trailer may only have 3500lb axles on it. So 7k-the weight of the trailer.

I bought my 18’ dovetail car hauler with dual 5k axles used for $750. The fenders weren’t great and the deck is now shot, but I towed several vehicles including my square before the deck got to its current condition. I plan on replacing the wood deck and rewelding the fenders this winter and I’ll still be in it for under $1000.

Worst case scenario, you could buy then resell a similar trailer...

Your K10 is probably a touch over 5000 lbs if it’s a long bed.
My K10 is a short bed so trailer length isn’t a big deal. I think Uhaul is going off the gvw of the truck which according to the sticker in the truck is 6200.

B.K. Cunningham

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
25 Hundred
Engine Size
Ive seen 3/4 suburbans on uhaul trailers. They fit and will make it that short distance. I don't know about ellensberg but over here in spokene, private guys are posting on cl and fb marketplace about tow jobs and they are usually cheap. something to look into.

hunters628

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Ive seen 3/4 suburbans on uhaul trailers. They fit and will make it that short distance. I don't know about ellensberg but over here in spokene, private guys are posting on cl and fb marketplace about tow jobs and they are usually cheap. something to look into.
I’ll look into that for sure. Worst case scenario I’ll tell Uhaul I’m pulling my 1971 VW Beetle and drive off with the trailer LoL

75Monza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1980, 1982, 1985
Truck Model
K30, K20, K20
Engine Size
454, 383, 350
Might ask these guys what the transport charge would be if they would do it.
HAWK TRUCKING
1118 RAINIER DR
ELLENSBURG, WA, 98926
360-584-6022

hunters628

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Anyone ever pull a truck with a tow bar? That might be my most economical option. A 5k pound tow bar is around $100.

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Anyone ever pull a truck with a tow bar? That might be my most economical option. A 5k pound tow bar is around $100.
I pulled a Divco milk truck about 800 miles with a tow bar. I'm sure it weighed a lot more than a pickup. I bought a 82 C20 with a diesel that had tow bar brackets on it. The seller said that her dad used to tow it to Arizona from South Dakota and back behind his motor home.

hunters628

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I pulled a Divco milk truck about 800 miles with a tow bar. I'm sure it weighed a lot more than a pickup. I bought a 82 C20 with a diesel that had tow bar brackets on it. The seller said that her dad used to tow it to Arizona from South Dakota and back behind his motor home.
So should I try to get my hands on brackets or drill holes in the frame then? Both of those scare me as brackets probably don’t exist pre made and I have never like drilling frame holes, even for a trailer package.

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
So should I try to get my hands on brackets or drill holes in the frame then? Both of those scare me as brackets probably don’t exist pre made and I have never like drilling frame holes, even for a trailer package.
It depends a lot on your skills and if you have access to a welder. The truck I got had homemade brackets. He welded some tabs to a piece of chanel iron which he bolted to the bumper using the stock bumper mount holes with longer bolts in them. Depending on the towbar you could possibly remove the bumper and make some brackets that bolt to the stock holes in the frame.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Unless Uhaul changed their rules in the past 2 years. Towed my K30 twice with no issues. The tow vehicle needs a high enough GVW. I did add my own straps for the rear axle.

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Just lie to Uhaul tell them you're towing a little toyota truck or something, they'll never find out. I've had them tell me my 87 Suburban is "too old to be a safe tow vehicle" and I need to rent one of their pickups so I told them I would borrow my friend's brand new chevy and pick the trailer up after hours (guess what I came back with the 87). The only way they'll EVER find out is if you crash the thing, which you're probably not planning on doing so there's no problem. Not like you can get pulled over for it or anything

hunters628

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Just lie to Uhaul tell them you're towing a little toyota truck or something, they'll never find out. I've had them tell me my 87 Suburban is "too old to be a safe tow vehicle" and I need to rent one of their pickups so I told them I would borrow my friend's brand new chevy and pick the trailer up after hours (guess what I came back with the 87). The only way they'll EVER find out is if you crash the thing, which you're probably not planning on doing so there's no problem. Not like you can get pulled over for it or anything
It says online that you have to have your load inspected at a Uhaul center before traveling. Is this true?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevbak88