Towing Capacities HD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mordentowing

Reaction score
First Name
Jean
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Hi I have a towing question.
I've read a bunch of posts on towing of trailers these all seem to be valid questions.
I want to know the towing capabilities of my truck legally
I've read about gear ratios and I get that's whether or not the truck can do it.
I have a 1980 chev c30 with 5.9 cummins making around 550hp I have 3.56 gears and six speed stick g56.

Currently I am towing my 30ft goose neck with two 12k axles. I haul my off road recovery unit that weights 15,000 pounds. Honestly I haven't weighed the truck and trailer load. I would be guessing my total weight would be around 27,000 pounds depending on how much mud is on the machine.

What is legal is what I want to know

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
I am sure you know every state has different laws. I also believe federal guide lines apply.

In the state of Pennsylvania your truck needs to be registered in combination to include the weight of the truck and trailer. A trailer over 10,000 pounds with a gross over 26,000 pounds requires a CDL "A" drivers licence. Pennsylvania also requires braking on all trailer axles over a certain weight. Some states do not require all axle braking.

Morden, are you in the United Kingdom, or here in the states?

fast 99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Think this would fall under a DOT regulation. Some states may restrict it further. So short answer is your millage may vairy.

However, if all the GVW's of every axle [including trailer] are added up that is likely the ceiling. Each axle needs to be within max load. In other words, one axle can't be over and another one lower and use the average.

Also remember tire load rating may be a more limiting factor if for instance you have P tires rather than LT. I once purchased a 2 ton that was built with the wrong tires. GVW was based on the tires not the chassis. There is another spec on tire width and pounds per inch. Can't remember the number exactly it's in the 600lb range.

If you want some very dry reading buy a DOT regulation book.

And yes, you might fall under CDL rules if over 26k.

Not sure why you're asking this but take it from me don't poke the bear. I owned a few trucks. Officials like showing how big they are and how small you are.

Old Guy Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
As posted above it depends on the state, and are you a commercial business?
Stop at a CAT scale location, they’re at a lot of truck stops.
You can’t just guess, get an accurate assessment of weight on each axle.

mordentowing

Reaction score
First Name
Jean
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
I am sure you know every state has different laws. I also believe federal guide lines apply.

In the state of Pennsylvania your truck needs to be registered in combination to include the weight of the truck and trailer. A trailer over 10,000 pounds with a gross over 26,000 pounds requires a CDL "A" drivers licence. Pennsylvania also requires braking on all trailer axles over a certain weight. Some states do not require all axle braking.

Morden, are you in the United Kingdom, or here in the states?
Canada I have my CDL
So if we weigh the truck and it's under 10,000lbs and the trailer is within spec we should be legal

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
No. In Pennsylvanian if the trailer is over 10,000 pounds. The weight of the towing truck does not matter. So if the trailer is over 10K then the truck needs to be registered in combination. Pay more money to include the weight of the trailer.

Radiohead

That guy on the Columbia
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
MCMLXXIX
Truck Model
C-20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
454 crazy cubes, or 7.4 luscious litres
Ask the nice man at the scale house. It's his job to weigh your wallet.

Then you will know for certain.

85K304SPD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
It looks like it would be quite a handful getting all of that stuff down the road, especially in the mountains. Your insurance company might be able to tell you how much they will cover, as far as weight. That is what is important. State laws are going to vary.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Canada I have my CDL
So if we weigh the truck and it's under 10,000lbs and the trailer is within spec we should be legal
You have a CDL and you’re asking a bunch of randos on an old truck forum what your heavily modified antique truck is legal to tow?
Is this an April fools joke 6 months early?
I’d go relinquish your CDL if this is a serious question….
And on another note, you haven’t even provided the right info to get an educated answer. Hint, it has nothing to do with how many hp the hotrod Cummins has.
Another hint, 27k gcvw is just plain silly on an old light duty chassis. Unless you’re just putting around on side roads.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod