Snow wheeling. Now I want to re-configure...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I don't see any pictures here, just the little windows with a red X on them.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
ditto

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Ok, saved some of the pics and reposted. I'll add a few more here.

There was a big snowdrift that ran right down the middle of the road. Probably 7' deep- and the best way around it was just to take the ditch. I'm glad I got the right offset to push my tires out so I didn't scrape body panels along the ditch. Had to drive this way for at least 50 yards.

You must be registered for see images attach

Pictures never show angles well. I thought one of the Jeeps would roll getting into the ditch.

Some buried 39" Super Swampers.

Pretty big tree- it was decided to limb it up and drive over it.

I wish I could get some rocksliders. I was very worried about crushing my gas tank on that tree. I cleared it by only 1/4".

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Another trail ride yesterday. Went up and over from one valley to the next across the top of Blacktail Mountain. Very deep rutted snow from others.

Last year the logging companies clearcut a few areas at the top of the mountain. I found these areas last October. The few seedling trees they left behind are no match for the wind. What I didn't expect was the size of the snow drift this would create. The trail we were on was buried. A 12' snow depth gauge was buried and sunk arm's reach downward. Still didn't hit the ground. Estimated snow depth was about 20' At least the wind packs the snow- but it was so steep we couldn't climb it. Luckily the other guys had winches. I now officially need to get one. There was no way around this drift without one. I've ordered the Magnum Doubler and one of ORDs front winch bumpers so will just need more $$$ to buy a winch for my truck.

Here I am being winched up the drift. Cameras don't show how steep things are, but you can still tell a bit.

After getting past the drift we were going along the ridge and seeing more broken trees. Hard to navigate in a full size truck. Yes, we had chainsaws, but with almost a 30 mph wind we didn't want to get out of our rigs.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@77 K20,

The first pic in this post looks just plain scary!! I, just had a moment of terror looking down that trail. I guess I'm just a chicken sh*t when it comes to taking chances of getting stuck, let alone going out into such terrain that I'd be staring down into something like that, I'd need my head examined. But that's me. I'm proud of the fact there are people like you who don't flench looking at going out into the rough. When the crap hits the fan it'll be guys like you who'll be leading us chickens! Bawwk!

Gorgeous photos! All of them. I looked at and read this whole thread. It was great, even if I only understood a small part of the 4x4 talk. That's okay though because I'll log it in the back of my brain so the next time someone talks about some kind of locker I'll say to myself, "I've heard of that before." Thanks 77 K20!

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
"First post", being the post on April 11, 2012. That picture! "We're going down there?"

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
@77 K20,

The first pic in this post looks just plain scary!! I, just had a moment of terror looking down that trail. I guess I'm just a chicken sh*t when it comes to taking chances of getting stuck, let alone going out into such terrain that I'd be staring down into something like that, I'd need my head examined. But that's me. I'm proud of the fact there are people like you who don't flench looking at going out into the rough. When the crap hits the fan it'll be guys like you who'll be leading us chickens! Bawwk!

Gorgeous photos! All of them. I looked at and read this whole thread. It was great, even if I only understood a small part of the 4x4 talk. That's okay though because I'll log it in the back of my brain so the next time someone talks about some kind of locker I'll say to myself, "I've heard of that before." Thanks 77 K20!

I had a few moments of panic going down that trail also. I did that section alone as the Jeep guys went down another narrow route that had non-stop "tank trap" type obstacles. The type that would make me probably get high centered repeatedly. Thought they would pop back out in a few hundred yards. They didn't. So I kept driving. Snow got deeper, then deeper. Ultimately I knew that their trail HAD to come out about a mile or two up the trail. Quite a few times I thought I was going to get stuck- but the truck kept chewing thru it. Eventually I caught up to them at the end of their trail. That does get your heart going a bit. And once it is over I'm very proud my truck made it! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pete08