1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Snow wheeling. Now I want to re-configure...

Discussion in 'Off-Roading' started by 77 K20, Mar 12, 2018.

1. bucket

bucket Super Moderator Staff Member

First Name:
    Andy
    Truck Year:
    '77, '78, '79, '84, '88
    Truck Model:
    K5 thru K30
    Engine Size:
    350-454
    I don't see any pictures here, just the little windows with a red X on them.

2. Camar068

Camar068 Supporting Member Supporting Member

First Name:
    David
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
    Engine Size:
    10 yrs Air Force
    ditto

3. 77 K20

77 K20 Full Access Member

First Name:
    Mike
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K20 5" lift
    Engine Size:
    HT383 fuel injected
    Ok, saved some of the pics and reposted. I'll add a few more here.

There was a big snowdrift that ran right down the middle of the road. Probably 7' deep- and the best way around it was just to take the ditch. I'm glad I got the right offset to push my tires out so I didn't scrape body panels along the ditch. Had to drive this way for at least 50 yards.

[​IMG]

Pictures never show angles well. I thought one of the Jeeps would roll getting into the ditch.

[​IMG]
    Some buried 39" Super Swampers.

[​IMG]
    Pretty big tree- it was decided to limb it up and drive over it.

[​IMG]
    I wish I could get some rocksliders. I was very worried about crushing my gas tank on that tree. I cleared it by only 1/4".

Catbox, TubeTruck, Craig 85 and 2 others like this.
  4. 77 K20

77 K20 Full Access Member

First Name:
    Mike
    Truck Year:
    Truck Model:
    K20 5" lift
    Engine Size:
    HT383 fuel injected
    Another trail ride yesterday. Went up and over from one valley to the next across the top of Blacktail Mountain. Very deep rutted snow from others.

[​IMG]

Last year the logging companies clearcut a few areas at the top of the mountain. I found these areas last October. The few seedling trees they left behind are no match for the wind. What I didn't expect was the size of the snow drift this would create. The trail we were on was buried. A 12' snow depth gauge was buried and sunk arm's reach downward. Still didn't hit the ground. Estimated snow depth was about 20' At least the wind packs the snow- but it was so steep we couldn't climb it. Luckily the other guys had winches. I now officially need to get one. There was no way around this drift without one. I've ordered the Magnum Doubler and one of ORDs front winch bumpers so will just need more $$$ to buy a winch for my truck.

Here I am being winched up the drift. Cameras don't show how steep things are, but you can still tell a bit.

[​IMG]

After getting past the drift we were going along the ridge and seeing more broken trees. Hard to navigate in a full size truck. Yes, we had chainsaws, but with almost a 30 mph wind we didn't want to get out of our rigs.

[​IMG]