Rental trailers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trukman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
5.7 L (350)
Unless Uhaul changed their rules in the past 2 years. Towed my K30 twice with no issues. The tow vehicle needs a high enough GVW. I did add my own straps for the rear axle.

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Wow! You mean your U-Haul stores don't rent actual car trailers? Here in Ohio they do. I realize your not in Ohio but it's hard to see how they can only rent such small trailers in CA.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Anyone ever pull a truck with a tow bar? That might be my most economical option. A 5k pound tow bar is around $100.

Lost art these days...
My dad towed his brand new '73 plain jane square body from Chicago to south central BC behind the 5 ton moving van. He made the tow bar and had ears welded on the truck's frame, right behind the bumper. Disconnected the driveshaft. Filled the back of the truck to hilt with tools and mom's plant in the cab. That was the truck I learned to drive in btw, '76.

trukman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
5.7 L (350)
Since the topic of tow bars came up I need to relate a story that touched close to home.

Decades ago my wife and I had two foster children who were adopted to a family who lost their son. Situation was their son was traveling home with his aunt at night. A Penske truck was traveling the opposite way on the highway and had a car on a dolly. Guy who hooked car to dolly evidently didn't secure the car properly. The car came loose, traveled across the median and went airborne. It came down through the windshield of the car their son and his aunt were in. Needless to say they were both killed immediately in the most gruesome way I can imagine.

For heaven's sake's, if you use a dolly, be sure to secure it in the proper way. Same thing for a tow bar. People's lives depend on your responsibility as the hauler. I suppose this goes for trailers as well.

Don't forget to do everything you can to be sure your load is secured as well as humanly possible. I know there are people out there who can build totally safe tow rigs but that's not everyone.

Sorry for getting off topic but we all need to be aware of the consequences of improperly secured loads. I added this because OP said something about not being comfortable with a tow bar with bracket drilled into frame. I don't want anyone else to go through what those parents went through.

Please, if you don't feel comfortable with the towing/hauling setup don't do it!

Sorry if I got off topic just wanted to remind people to please as safe as possible.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchell1128