Question about headers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Nothing easy as far as headers, they don’t fit, they leak, you end up end wrenching the plugs, interferes with starter access and a noisy passenger compartment to boot.
Nothing is easy for sure, but mine didn't leak and I had heat insulation on the floors. I also had a small gear reduction starter.

Mine were Patriot #8048 headers on an 82 C10 with a mild 355, meaning Ramjet cam and Vortec heads. The biggest problem was I had to re-route the fuel and brake lines on the passenger side to clear the #2 tube, which required removing the side motor mount. I also had to piece together some mandrel-bent sections of pipe to go up and over (and down and under) the asymmetrical trans cross member.

And that was a fairly easy installation compared to some I've done and read about. At least there was no frame interference, and spark plugs were all accessible, some with only a box end wrench, though. After all the work (and money), I didn't notice any seat-of-the-pants difference over cast iron manifolds with the same 2-1/4" exhaust pipes and DynoMax Super Turbo mufflers.

One more thing: When I rewired the engine, I had to remove the passenger side header to access the starter terminals. So, yes, it's always something!

You must be registered for see images attach

On my mild 355, these manifolds worked just as well as headers, according to my butt dyno. I forget the P/Ns, but I port-matched them to the raised ports on the Vortec heads. I did that with the Patriot headers, too.

Attachments

• 1698077658575.jpeg
    1698077658575.jpeg
    129.6 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
Ball and socket outlets are superior to a flat flange. If you use a flat flange i have had good sealing success with copper gaskets. Might want to use bolts with springs to keep everything snug as well.
These adapters make a ball and socket joint easy peasy.

Finkaire

Finkaire
Reaction score
First Name
Loren
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado c10
Engine Size
Both look sweet, nice job!

Finkaire

Finkaire
Reaction score
First Name
Loren
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado c10
Engine Size
Nothing is easy for sure, but mine didn't leak and I had heat insulation on the floors. I also had a small gear reduction starter.

Mine were Patriot #8048 headers on an 82 C10 with a mild 355, meaning Ramjet cam and Vortec heads. The biggest problem was I had to re-route the fuel and brake lines on the passenger side to clear the #2 tube, which required removing the side motor mount. I also had to piece together some mandrel-bent sections of pipe to go up and over (and down and under) the asymmetrical trans cross member.

And that was a fairly easy installation compared to some I've done and heard about. At least there was no frame interference, and spark plugs were all accessible, some with only a box end wrench, though. After all the work (and money), I didn't notice any seat-of-the-pants difference over cast iron manifolds with the same 2-1/4" exhaust pipes and DynoMax Super Turbo mufflers.

One more thing: When I rewired the engine, I had to remove the passenger side header to access the starter terminals. So, yes, it's always something!

On my mild 355, these manifolds worked just as well as headers, according to my butt dyno. I forget the P/Ns, but I port-matched them to the raised ports on the Vortec heads. I did that with the Patriot headers, too.

Both look sweet!

pali7

Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
You might want to consider ram horn exhaust manifolds. The reading I have done point to that they are pretty much the same flow as headers without the problems.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
On my son's truck, I used the ceramic coated one's sold by summit. They had thick flanges, fit perfect, and installed very quickly in less than 15 minutes per side, not including the the collector connections on a new build. I used Fel-Pro gaskets and good bolts. I haven't run them yet so I can't attest to their quality and lasting ability but they seem to good so far.

I do agree with pali though that if you can find cast headers, you'd probably like them more. I was going to use Speedway's version but there was some reason why I didn't, maybe my serpentine drive?

Old Guy Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Back in my much younger days I used Schoenfeld headers, “Step” types,
1 5/8” at the primary then they step up to 1 3/4” 6-8” down stream.
It’s the best of both worlds.
Monte Carlo & Chevelle fit.
Now at my age, a nice set of cast iron manifolds suit me fine.
The Hooker models will be on the truck I’m building now.

Last edited:

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
This a race truck? Headers suck big bald baboon balls! Avoid the headache and run good, modern manifolds. Hooker has em. You can thank me later.

Attachments

• Hooker Manifolds.PNG
    Hooker Manifolds.PNG
    372 KB · Views: 41
  • Headers suck.PNG
    Headers suck.PNG
    799.3 KB · Views: 45

Lugnut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
1979, 1986
Truck Model
K20, C10
Engine Size
'79) 350/ granny 4-speed, '86) 350/A833 3-speed with overdrive
What about replacing the exhaust manifold to get rid of the emission tubes? Any suggestions there? Also have a bone stock 350

Hooker is making cast iron manifolds that look pretty good and are supposed to flow a lot better than the stock ones.

I haven't tried any yet but that is what I am leaning toward on my next engine swap.

FabFive727

Reaction score
First Name
Freddy
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
My '78 C15 is bone stock with a 350. I'd like to get some headers for it, but I've never put headers on before. Is there a brand that is budget friendly that anyone would recommend? I don't want chrome headers. Would a used set be ok to use? On a half ton truck, is the starter something that I would have to change? Would I have to make changes to my plug wires? Finally, my truck has power steering, and I saw a video where that was a problem with trying to put on headers, so is there something that I would need to get to make it easier. I did do a search on here but couldn't find too many specific answers.
I have an 86 c10, I went with Sanderson. They are pricey, but worth every penny and designed for the ease of access to spark plugs and such.

plumtruckerd

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C3500
Engine Size
I came across a set of used Hedman shorty headers that will bolt right up to the stock exhaust pipes. I would put them on but I'm afraid of breaking studs off in the head. I figured I'd just wait until I have to do something else and then do it. Thinking about a valve job or new heads in the future. Then it will be simple.

Last edited:

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I bought those Hooker cast iron manifolds for a 69 C10, but they interfered with the motor mounts, AC compressor bracket, and alternator brackets. But they had a lot less restriction than stock manifolds, along with 2.5" outlets. Nicely made and I wish I could have used them. They may fit a square body better due to the long water pump and the brackets moved forward.

82BBC20

Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado
Engine Size
Headers are a nice upgrade, but do buy ones with a 3/8 thick mount flange. I have them on my 82 C20 454, I ordered for direct fitment on my truck & they slide right in from underside with no issues. I also ordered better flange gaskets that I’ve had zero leaks from, also had muffler shop install v-band clamps on my collectors with zero leaks!

Attachments

• IMG_9959.jpeg
    IMG_9959.jpeg
    102.2 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_9960.jpeg
    IMG_9960.jpeg
    105.6 KB · Views: 30

Craig Nedrow

NADAR UNDER THE RADAR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1973 (have two), 1985
Truck Model
K10, K20, C20
Engine Size
350, 454, 6.2 Detroit
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
on a 454 in a 1973 K20. Been on 3 1/2 years, never touched them, no leaks. I run my truck hard, and in the hills. I did rejet the HOLLY 750 4150 Vac secondary. Runs like stink, sounds great, (hooker areo chamber muffs). I did wrap my old style starter. Used high heat paint but had to take the original paint off, that was the hardest thing about the whole job.

Attachments

• IMG_2478~photo.JPG
    IMG_2478~photo.JPG
    148.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2796~photo.JPG
    IMG_2796~photo.JPG
    144.8 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2810~photo.JPG
    IMG_2810~photo.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2812~photo.JPG
    IMG_2812~photo.JPG