Question about headers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ulm4lyf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Grande 15
Engine Size
My '78 C15 is bone stock with a 350. I'd like to get some headers for it, but I've never put headers on before. Is there a brand that is budget friendly that anyone would recommend? I don't want chrome headers. Would a used set be ok to use? On a half ton truck, is the starter something that I would have to change? Would I have to make changes to my plug wires? Finally, my truck has power steering, and I saw a video where that was a problem with trying to put on headers, so is there something that I would need to get to make it easier. I did do a search on here but couldn't find too many specific answers.

Finkaire

Finkaire
Reaction score
First Name
Loren
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado c10
Engine Size
Nothing easy as far as headers, they don’t fit, they leak, you end up end wrenching the plugs, interferes with starter access and a noisy passenger compartment to boot. If you want to spend money, wheels and tires or a stereo upgrade would be time and money better spent. Not to mention the truck is bone stock, please leave it that way, there aren’t many left.
Sorry, just my opinion

Last edited:

85K304SPD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Like Loren said... All of those problems that you mentioned, and probably more. If your current exhaust is working good, you might want to keep it.
If you do go with the headers, be ready to do some work to get them to work correctly, whatever it winds up being. Leaks, burnt plug wires, bracket mods, exhaust welding modifications, hammering some dents in the headers for plug and or suspension clearance, changing gaskets multiple times, lifting up the motor to install, burnt starter, burnt starter wiring.
They can be good, once you get all of that stuff worked out.
I always give into temptation and put headers on most of my builds... I like the challenge!! haha

CountKrunk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Count
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Custom Deluxe 3+3
Engine Size
v8 350
What about replacing the exhaust manifold to get rid of the emission tubes? Any suggestions there? Also have a bone stock 350

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
I have allot of respect for stock exhaust systems for several reasons. However, all my rigs have headers and I like it like that for the most part. I do not recommend stainless steel headers. I bought some and had some problems. Get some good steel ones with a thick flange. Retighten after a few heat cycles. think that allot of guys use chevelle headers of certain years in our trucks. @bucket knows.

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
What about replacing the exhaust manifold to get rid of the emission tubes? Any suggestions there? Also have a bone stock 350
Should be able to plug your stock manifolds to eliminate things. Don't trash what you remove, label it and store it away.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Yep, chevelle headers will keep it tucked up and clears even the manual trans stuff. Use remflex gaskets and they won't leak.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Meh.

I think the benefit outweighs the work for install.
I also think most dudes buy 1 and 5/8 primary tube headers which are too big for a "bone stock" truck and therefore unnecessarily complicate the install.
1.5 inch primary and 3 inch collectors is what you want.
Additionally if you believe that installing headers is as simple as bolting them on - you've got another thing comin Judas Priest.
It is more correctly viewed as a major "level up" for your truck and it will forever be superior to a truck with stock manifolds. Bigger, badder, faster, meaner, AND get better gas mileage.
Look at it this way : there are two kinds of people in the world = Those with headers on their truck and those without. The only question is,,, which are you??

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
Just make sure they have thick flanges on them.
Do the heat cycle thing and like Eric said use the Remflex gaskets.

I have used headers on my big block truck and they fit in there like they were built for it.
They are a set that was intended for a Nova.

You will need to attach your current exhaust to them.
You will need to adjust your carb mixture due to new efficiency found from cylinder scavanging.
You will enjoy all of the things @Rusty Nail pointed out.

We put headers on the truck and it went from wienie to hero like a Charles Atlas cartoon advertisement.
You must be registered for see images attach

Dirty old headers from a buddies project car that he no longer needed these for...

When we first installed them it was with the stock Q-jet and stock low-rise intake.
Just the headers changed the whole attitude of the engine.
No other changes made at this time and it drove like a champ.

Now we have come along even further with this 454.
It has an Edelbrock Performer 2.0 intake and is topped with a used rebuilt Holley 750cfm carb that I pulled from the swap meet. Junior put some parts into it to the tune of $160 and for just $200 we have a totally serviceable carb and whole spare jet set for fine tuning to boot!

The engine is still fairly mild, but miles more fun to drive.
It has way more power everywhere in the power band.
I was driving it the other day and forgot to put it back into 2nd (manual transmission) at a light to take off.
It pulled away with no issue in 3rd from a full stop.

CountKrunk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Count
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Custom Deluxe 3+3
Engine Size
v8 350
What year nova? Very convincing story!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I've never run the Chevelle/Nova type headers on a small block yet, just big blocks.

For small blocks, I've run Hooker, Dynomax, Flowtech, and two different versions of Hedman. And probably something else I'm forgetting. Flowtech headers fit well and install easily, but iirc the primaries are a bit small. Fine for a stock motor though. Hooker also fit well and install easily, but they hang a little low and it's hard to run the #5 plug wire. Dynomax headers were a long time ago for me. Looking back, I think they were identical to Flowtech, but the quality was terrible. One version of Hedman fits well and installs super super easy, but they hang low. The other version is harder to install (gotta remove the starter) but they fit up in the frame nicely.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
Mine are from a 1968 to 1972 Big Block Nova.
They do not hang down at all on my 454, you can see the crossmember is lower than they are here.

I had to put my head on the ground to see the collectors and my truck is a stock height 3/4 ton.

And if you are worried about clearance around the starter, it is so worth it to switch to a later gear reduction starter. They are sooooo very much smaller and have no issues with cranking on this big arse engine.
I have had a few from the junkyard that worked for me.
The last one came from a 1997 truck.
They bolt onto everything it seems, we have put them on a straight six, a small block, and this big block.
All 70's era engines.

peats

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
john
Truck Year
72k5, 81c10 short step, 83k10 short fleet, 03 SSR. 25 chevy doodlebug
Truck Model
k5 c10 k10 SSR doodlebug
Engine Size
406 360 6.2 5.3 171
Ball and socket outlets are superior to a flat flange. If you use a flat flange i have had good sealing success with copper gaskets. Might want to use bolts with springs to keep everything snug as well.

WesN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
When my truck was new I would get as low as 7 mpg pulling a race car trailer and after installing headers, distributor recurve and riching up the secondary it went up to 13 mpg and pulling power up hills was much improved. For me it was well worth it due to fuel savings. 350cid 350C TH

whiskeydents

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
morgan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
I run the summit racing brand ceramic coated long tubes. Really nice headers, fit great, thick flanges, and the coating seems to be holding up good. Around 400 for ceramic coated long tubes is a pretty good deal.

If you have A/C like me, I ordered the hooker A/C bracket. Little but of modifications to make up for the thicker flanges and power steering stuff but overall an easy process.

Morgan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod