Sanderson Headers question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

QBuff02

I like Big Blocks and I cannot lie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Quincy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
@QBuff02 here's a bunch of pics of the Sanderson's in my Blazer (454 w/ K30 oil pan, hydraulic 4spd w/ support bars, Off Road Design motor mounts and engine crossmember).

The exhaust is 2.5" "Y" pipe into a single 3" down the driver's side with a Magnaflow muffler. Over the years I grew tire of fighting dual exhaust around the tcase and with a Doubler my 205 is clocked up 2" making it a lot worse so I decided to go with single exhaust on this truck.

Note: I bought my Sanderson's bare to save money but they were so nice I decided to have them Jet Hot coated (prior to install). Do yourself a favor and buy them coated! My Jet Hot coating is flaking in a few spots around the collectors so at some point I've got to see if they'll warranty recoat them.

You must be registered for see images attach

Appreciate the pics! I know that's the problem i'm going to run into is fabricating the pipe on the passengers side as there just isn't much room, i think it's going to take some mandrel bends and probably some fancy cutting if I use long tube headers like I have. It looks like I could 90 or some variation of, off the sanderson collector and probably make it around the t-case alot smoother and easier going this route.

MtBraun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
@QBuff02 here's a bunch of pics of the Sanderson's in my Blazer (454 w/ K30 oil pan, hydraulic 4spd w/ support bars, Off Road Design motor mounts and engine crossmember).

The exhaust is 2.5" "Y" pipe into a single 3" down the driver's side with a Magnaflow muffler. Over the years I grew tire of fighting dual exhaust around the tcase and with a Doubler my 205 is clocked up 2" making it a lot worse so I decided to go with single exhaust on this truck.

Note: I bought my Sanderson's bare to save money but they were so nice I decided to have them Jet Hot coated (prior to install). Do yourself a favor and buy them coated! My Jet Hot coating is flaking in a few spots around the collectors so at some point I've got to see if they'll warranty recoat them.

Thanks for the pics. Looking at these for a tall deck 632. It appears from your pics there may be space, but what do you think?

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I'd be afraid to guess. You can't forget that as the deck goes higher the heads get wider.

RanchWelder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
--------
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
355ci
GENERAL NOTES:

1. The Patented Leak-Free Design that Sanderson Headers offer you is the only leak-free flange design on the market ... Do Not Attempt To Use Flange Gaskets! The raised flange on the Sanderson Headers will buckle the gasket during tightening and actually cause a leak!
I can see where stock metal gaskets would not work because the way they deck the tubing and welds. The flange would not have enough surface to cover the metal gaskets like the wide flat surface of the stock cast iron headers.

The Remflex works well with zero leaks and uses no extra sealer, so there's no mess.

I Failed to contact the Header Manufacturer to ask whether the heads are for straight or angled plugs. I bought them not realizing how close the straight plugs are, so in order to use them I had to make some changes. All I knew was they were supposed to fit the 87 Blazer 5.7L, based on Summit's selection system...

The customer comments on the sales page did not mention they worked best for angled aluminum heads on the 350.
They spec to my flow requirements...

Would not have posted the picture and my mod, if it did not work without damaging the headers or resulted in leaking.
Pardon me, Had no idea you were building a big block...

Here is one of the links where the guys building race engines have used other gaskets on Sanderson's without issues... there's a bunch more on another racing engine build forum as well... Some guys stack them and use 2 gaskets and longer manifold bolts, so the wires don't melt on circle track engines. The 1-5/8" to 2-1/2" collectors is the right answer for good HP and nobody else makes them for anywhere near the price as Sanderson for the 350. The way they tuck to the block makes plug angle clearance issue something to be aware of, or you'll be ignoring the warning and stacking too.

HotRodders.com Link: Sanderson Headers

You won't leak or ruin anything if you buy the right gaskets.
Mr. Sanderson should make it clear his headers MAY melt your wires before you shell out $350 for a non-coated set of tubes.
Instead of fitment warnings/details for the 5.7L, he scares you with threats of leaks if you use a gasket.
The quality of the product is excellent, just not for straight plugs without spacing with a nice thick gasket, in my opinion/experience..

I hope Mr. Sanderson will not be angry his headers are being used with a high quality gasket.

Like the looks of your Big Block headers nvrenuf. My 454 is on the way next week or 2.
Your install looks great. Wish I had a lift.
How about deleting the smog pump on my BBC 1999 Suburban?
Do you think those headers will work for the Gen VI L29 engine?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84