Patch panel to “fix” hole in bed from former 5th wheel hitch??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
The donor bed on the family 81 GMC came from a 1 ton truck with a 5th wheel hitch. I’d like to cover the hole with something other than plywood so the bed is usable.

Anyone in readerland have an absolutely trashed or rusty bed with a section of bed floor in solid shape?

The bed came from a Texas truck, it’s absolutely flawless other than the 5th wheel hitch hole. It would be nice to put things in the bed, and not worry that they will fall thru the hole.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Next time I’m at dads house I’ll measure and take some pics.

I’ll have to look thru the LMC catalog. I didn’t know patch panels were offered. I don’t recall if the hole got into the floor brace.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I have a similar issue on my dually. I removed the tool box and found an 7" hole for transfer tank or something...

There is a shop near me who has converted a lot of trucks from long bed to short bed and he has a lot of remnants. I was going to stop by in the next few days and see if I could grab a couple.

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
The donor bed on the family 81 GMC came from a 1 ton truck with a 5th wheel hitch. I’d like to cover the hole with something other than plywood so the bed is usable.

Anyone in readerland have an absolutely trashed or rusty bed with a section of bed floor in solid shape?

The bed came from a Texas truck, it’s absolutely flawless other than the 5th wheel hitch hole. It would be nice to put things in the bed, and not worry that they will fall thru the hole.
Do you mean gooseneck hitch?

I can't imagine a fifth wheel hitch would leave a big hole (just the smaller bolt holes).

K

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1