Tow a 5th wheel camper trailer with bed mount hitch ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
They also make gooseneck conversion kits for 5th wheel campers, if you choose to go with a gooseneck ball in the bed. There are advantages to going that route as opposed to a 5th wheel hitch. Besides the fact that most non-bumper pull trailers are a gooseneck style and not 5th wheel, if you go with the B&W turnover ball, you still have full use of your bed without having to remove and store a big bulky hitch.

1973c10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Is the trailer 5th wheel or gooseneck ?
I pull a 26ft 5th wheel trailer that is about 7000lb
with my 75 3/4 ton 454 and a th350
I have Pro Series 5th Wheel Hitch with rails in the bed
the rails bolt to the bed and to the frame with frame brackets
I don't think I would bolt it to just the bed ,, frame brackets are cheep and aren't too hard to install.
The tongue weight or ( hitch weight ) is 1180 on mine

Crusader fixer

Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
P30
Engine Size
Diesel
Good information above, couple of thoughts.
First, you will be much happier with a center mount trailer hitch over a bumper mount. The weight distribution is better and the effect of sway, crosswind or semis is much less. A bumper pull gives the leverage advantage to the trailer.
Before spending your money on a hitch check out Rigid Hitch. They have a wide line and provide good equipment, prices and service.
www,rigidhitch.com

Craig Nedrow

NADAR UNDER THE RADAR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1973 (have two), 1985
Truck Model
K10, K20, C20
Engine Size
350, 454, 6.2 Detroit
BW makes a great 5th wheel hitch, but expensive, 1600.00. It is under the bed with a 4" hole where the ball goes through. The ball can be turned upside down when not in use for full bed usage. The 5th wheel mechanism fits onto the ball. I installed 5000 lb. air bags and a compressor that automatically adjusts ride height, no gages in the cab, been on two years and nary a problem. Slide in a camper, automatically aires up, take it out, airs down, fantastic. Use the ball for gooseneck, use the hitch for camper. My preference? like the bed for putting stuff in, but tows well with a fifth wheel.

You must be registered for see images attach

mtnmankev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
1984, 1983
Truck Model
K10, C20
Engine Size
383 Stroker, 350
First off, I want to thank all of you for the input and information regarding the towing situation and my truck.
I can't find any holes in my frame from where a correct mount would have been.
And there won't be any towing done now since the whole situation changed regarding buying the camper I wanted.
But I do appreciate all the info on how to do it right and safest.
I had plans to buy the camper and leave my remote off grid cabin and relocate close to the city for urgently needed health care since travel from here is so difficult and expensive.
The credit union I have been with for MANY years where I tried to float a small loan (5 grand is peanuts in this day and age) to buy the trailer acted like i was asking for a few million dollars so that all fell through.
Yes, I am pissed at them, when did customer loyalty go out the window ?
I am going to the city tomorrow for biopsies and not looking forward to hear the results, but I don't expect good news.
You guys have always come through for me when there was something I needed to learn about, and this site has the best bunch of loonies and screwballs it has been my honor to hang out with on a forum.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Hearing you describe the BS you go through to live where, and the way you do, definitely made me rethink moving to that general area.

Praying you get good news

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@mtnmankev,

So what's on the trailer hitch, a gooseneck or a fifth wheel hookup?? Unless you change the trailers hitch out I guess you use what you got, or change it out to save money and secure the load better.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ssgmike