Building a bed from new parts- Front panel difference? ETA- Fixed using all AMD panels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kkgp81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kelley
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
On AMD it list a 73-84 bed front panel and a 85+ front panel. What is the difference between the two?

I’m trying to put a bed together from new parts and running into issues- the holes aren’t lining up for the most part. Pretty sure the problem is the floor as I have a factory shortbed on my other truck and the AMD holes are close.

Sides
AMD no gas hole right and left (80’s for one side and 70’s for the other) using a blazer tank so don’t need fuel doors.

Floor
Key parts shortbed

Front
Sherman- there seems to be a fitment issue here but not sure. I went to AMD and going through checkout the shipping cost more than the panel.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
For the bed front panel. I think, but don't remember for sure, was just a cosmetic difference in the embossing/ stamping design. I think only the wood floor had a different lip on the bottom.

Although they interchange, the bedsides have different cosmetic stamping on the inside.

For large parts, I try and plan ahead and see what shows will be in the area and if any vendors will be at the show that sell the parts and you can usually pick up for free.

Last edited:

TotalyHucked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 1500
Engine Size
I work at AMD in R&D and QC. The differences in the '73-84 and '85-up front bed panel are in the way the top rail is shaped and also the amount of bolt holes.

These are two of our in house trucks, '85-up is on the left, '84-down is on the right. The best way to describe it is the '85-up is shaped like a P where the curve tucks under quicker where as the '84-down has a gentler fall off and a more oval shape.

This is the '73-84 panel, picture taken from our website. You can see the top rail is more oval shaped and also note the 2 bolt holes just under it at each corner

It's hard to see here cuz we don't have a great angle on it, but this is the '85-up panel with the P shaped upper rail. Also note there's now only one bolt hole at each upper corner.

All that to say, they will interchange, you can put either headboard in any year truck. They'll take some finagling but it does work. The biggest cause of your problems though is the 3 different manufacturers of parts. To be blunt, mixing manufacturers is the worst thing you can do with a project like this. GM had several different stamping plants, so Key may have used parts for development that came from a different stamping plant than we did, so they probably won't play nice together. And Sherman is just junk period. I've seen plenty of their panels and wouldn't even use them for paper weights they've all been so bad.

One tip I'll give ya is any through hole that doesn't have thread in it, use a step bit and open it up 2 sizes. That will give you lots more adjustment. I put our AMD bedfloor and tubs on my original bedsides and needed to do that to get everything to line up nicely.

kkgp81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kelley
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thank you for the reply, I kicked through summit searching for an 82 front panel and they have one in stock. I was going to order off AMD and the shipping cost more than the panel.

Either way, picking up an AMD floor and tubs today to see if going with a single mfg does the trick because the holes in some of the areas are so far off it will never work short of making new holes or beating something into submission.

kkgp81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kelley
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
So an update on this. Went over to summit and picked up an AMD front/floor/wheel wells. It took 3 guys roughly 30 minutes to assemble this setup using all AMD parts. The earlier model front panel also had the second hole at the top.

kkgp81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kelley
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
"Went over to Summit"? As in physically?

Yes, I live outside of Fort Worth so its a trip over. To make it even less of a hassle I have a couple of projects going on just down the road from the store.

They have a sweet unit on display today.

Muddybuddy

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Good to know. Have you test fit tailgate yet?

kkgp81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kelley
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I have not, the one on my parts truck is toast and I haven’t picked one up yet. I’ve only done squaring measurements.

straydog371

Reaction score
First Name
Kerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I plan to do the same thing as kkgp81...all AMD panels for sure.
Summit Racing in Ohio is close enough that making the roadtrip will be an enjoyable drive and I'll avoid the "oversized freight" shipping cost.
Man I REALLY appreciate this forum! I never thought to check Summit locations for possible pickup.

Bennyt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Yes, I live outside of Fort Worth so its a trip over. To make it even less of a hassle I have a couple of projects going on just down the road from the store.

They have a sweet unit on display today.

When i lived in Fort Worth, I would order large parts from vendors and pick up at Goodguys and Pate swap meet at TMS. Saved me hundreds if not thousands on shipping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1